Supreme Court Rules Roadblocks OK to hunt down Criminals.

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

The Supreme Court ruled today that police may setup road blocks to help them gain information on crimes that have been commited. The court ruling does not include any time limit on when the roadblock can be setup causing some to beleive the ruling to be a striping away of rights.

News.yahoo.com

Three justices expressed concerns the ruling could open up motorists to police interference without yielding useful information about crimes.

"There is a valid and important distinction" between seizing a person to determine whether he or she has committed a crime and seizing a person to ask whether that person "has any information about an unknown person who committed a crime a week earlier," wrote Justice John Paul Stevens joined by Justices David H. Souter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg .

The case was a follow-up to a 2000 Supreme Court ruling that roadblocks intended for drug searches are an unreasonable invasion of privacy under the Constitution.

The purpose of the ruling is to allow police to gain information that is voluntered concerning crimes however, it could be turned around on motorists that do not volunteer information as obstruction of justice.

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This is not a positive development in many ways.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Welcome to America, home of fear, land of the scared.
Police State here we come!

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I agree with the dissenting judges on this, it should have been dealt with at the state level.

My theory is that just as they say driving is not a contitutional right but is a privilege.

Then getting stopped from driving is also not an enumerated power granted to the federal goverment, therefore it is a matter for the states individually.

The point they made that if you are on foot and can avoid police by walking around them if you so desire seems valid to me for any mode of personnal movement.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The United States is an emerging police state. Bush hates our freedoms.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Well yeah wannabe gangsters like you Capone want as much freedom as you can get.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
Welcome to America, home of fear, land of the scared.
Police State here we come!

That's exactly what I just said to myself.
These types of checkpoints have already been proven to result in illegal searches and disassociated arrests.

top topics

join