It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vista Compatibility & Reliability Patch (Vista 32-bit)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   

This “Vista Performance and Reliability Pack” claims that it “resolves a number of individual issues which may be affecting some computers running Windows Vista.” Apparently this is using data gathered from the Automatic Error Reporting system built into the OS, which goes to show that all those annoying pop-ups are helping.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

LINK

There are patches for both 32 and 64 bit versions.

938194 Vista Compatibility and Reliability Pack:\
* Improved reliability and compatibility of Vista when used with newer graphics cards in several specific scenarios and configurations.
* Improved reliability when working with external displays on a laptop.
* Increased compatibility with many video drivers.
* Improved visual appearance of games with high intensity graphics.
* Improved quality of playback for HD-DVD and Blue-Ray disks on large monitors.
* Improved reliability for Internet Explorer when some third party toolbars are installed on Vista.
* Improved Vista reliability in networking configuration scenarios.
* Improved the reliability of Windows Calendar in Vista.
* Improved reliability of systems that were upgraded from XP to Vista.
* Increased compatibility with many printer drivers.
* Increased reliability and performance of Vista when entering sleep and resuming from sleep.

938979 Vista Performance and Reliability Pack:
* Improves performance in resuming back to the desktop from the Photo and Windows Energy screensaver.
* Resolves an issue where some secured web pages using advanced security technologies may not get displayed in Internet Explorer on Windows Vista.
* Resolves an issue where a shared printer may not get installed if the printer is connected to a Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 system and User Access Control is disabled on the Vista client.
* Resolves an issue where creating AVI files on Vista may get corrupted.
* Improves the performance in calculating the ‘estimated time remaining’ when copying/moving large files.
* Improves performance in bringing up Login Screen after resuming from Hibernate.
* Resolves an issue where synchronization of offline files to a server can get corrupted.
* Resolves a compatibility issue with RAW images created by Canon EOS 1D/1DS Digital SLR Camera which can lead to data loss. This only affects RAW images created by these two specific camera models.
* Resolves an issue where a computer can lose its default Gateway address when resuming from sleep mode.
* Improves the performance when copying or moving entire directories containing large amounts of data or files.
* Improves the performance of Vista’s Memory Manager in specific customer scenarios and prevents some issues which may lead to memory corruption.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Interesting.

Since that's not a secure site, why do you feel it's safe to download and install system fixes?

I'd think it would be dangerous to do so.

In fact, I'd caution about using anything like that which didn't come from Microsloth and an https site.

2 cents.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I don't know what you are tripping on.

Guru3d is a great site with lot of drivers and programs for the power user

I stand by the site.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
I don't know what you are tripping on.

Should have figured, another 15 year old, giving advice.

Downloading system 'fixes' from insecure sites is folly. I'd say you're the one who is tripping.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I downloaded the patches because I trust (as far as I can trust someone who post other people's patches) that site and because I noticed that more sites were talking about this release.

After downloading them I found two "msu" files, used by Microsoft Update, and the files are digitally signed by Microsoft.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Ive used guru3d for many years now for drivers, beta drivers, modified drivers, patches and all around tech news. its a great site and can be trusted alot.

Badge dont be so quick to judge without knowledge of what you speak.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here is another source for the patches:
www.betanews.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
And here are the official sources:

Vista Compatibility and Reliability Pack
Vista Performance and Reliability Pack

According to Ars Technica, these have the same MD5 hash than the leaked versions from last week.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I downloaded and applied these patches from MS when they first came out, and found that they are pretty good.

I have had no issues so far, and performance is improved.

I especially like that the move files dialog does not site there for ages anymore!

Bring on service pack 1

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
Badge dont be so quick to judge without knowledge of what you speak.

Exqueeze me?

Why do you think that FireFox and FF add ins, and other system update sites use "https" protocol?

It's more expensive for them to do that, btw.

I repeat, though you may have had a successful install, anyone who downloads system updates from an insecure site (secure=yellow background to your URL window), is very foolish.

Things like this are easy to judge quickly, my friend.

Did you do a rootkit scan and a full system scan with two reputable scanners post install? If not, why not?

Moving right along, what's up with THIS:

* Improved the reliability of Windows Calendar in Vista.

If that's true this software should never have left the building.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   

mrmonsoon said:

you said:
Downloading system 'fixes' from insecure sites is folly. I'd say you're the one who is tripping.

Your excused.

I was referring to your reference of guru3d being an "insecure" site. Well i dont know how insecure they are about their site. But as being an "UNsecure" site, yes they are. But they are also a very reliable site that those of us that DO know what we are talking about was referring to. Referencing FF and IE having https protocol has nothing to do with downloading something from a site that we in the industry consider reputable.

Again i say, Badge dont be so quick to judge without knowledge of what you speak.

new topics

top topics

join