It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abstinence-only programs do not reduce HIV risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Abstinence-only programs do not reduce HIV risk

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - In high income countries, programs that encourage abstinence from sex as the only method of preventing HIV infection are not effective in achieving this goal, findings from a review of trial data suggest.

As reported in this week's issue of the British Medical Journal, Dr. Kristen Underhill and colleagues, from the University of Oxford in the UK, searched 30 electronic databases to identify studies that examined the effectiveness of abstinence
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Jusr confirms what most of us already know. Abstinence does not really work. Maybe in the 1930's it would have been an effective way to go about things, but in this day and age it should go the way of the dodo.

Extensive education about the use of barrier methods, etc is the only real way to reduce infection rates IMHO. HIV is just one of many diseases that can and is being spread.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I agree with you 100% FredT. Abstinence only education has been proven time and time again to be an unreliable method of education, and only through prevention methods can the rate of HIV be reduced. However, there is such a large stigma the public has associated with the use of barrier methods you mentioned (like condoms and such) that it is very hard to get people educated about them. Case in point...I and a collegue of mine were at a public health fair last weekend; he was distributing condoms, and I was doing HIV testing. Needless to say, some people didn't like the fact that the free condoms we were giving out were made publically avaliable, and we were politely asked to leave. So much for education.

There are a few states, including my home state, which are now losing their funding for abstinence based education in lieu of current research like this article covers. I guess states are finally starting to see the "real world" for what it is; one where people don't always behave like the angels that abstinence based educational programs think.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
if someone abstains from sex, then how can they catch the virus?

maybe it means that people are not abstaining?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
if someone abstains from sex, then how can they catch the virus?

maybe it means that people are not abstaining?

Children can get it through infected breast milk, and IV Drug users can get it through blood transmission by sharing their works. Sex is not the only way to get the virus. Abstinence is a good thing if a person is willing to resist the temptations, but not everyone wants to abstain from sex (a matter of choice), and for those people there should be other methods of protection avaliable. We all live in the real world, and in the real world people are having sex, sharing needles from their works, and feeding their children possibly infected breast milk. For these people there should be other avaliable and free methods of protecting themselves from diseases. Abstinence does not work for the majority of the population, whether they want to admit that or not is another issue.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Children can get it through infected breast milk, and IV Drug users can get it through blood transmission by sharing their works.

oh yes, I know this, but I only discussed what was specific to the article : abstaining from sex.

Abstinence does not work for the majority of the population, whether they want to admit that or not is another issue.

For those not abstaining, they are obviously not using condoms.

Maybe in the heat of the moment, people throw caution to the wind, take the risk. Crazy.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Oh I see, apologies for the confusion. You would be surprised about the number of people who are HIV positive and know it, but are still having unprotected sex. We have a few clients under our care (both Homosexual and Heterosexual) which are currently prostituting themselves or were former prostitutes, that never wore condoms. Luckily for the gentlemen that see them, most of them are now using condoms, but it has taken a lot of education from us to accomplish this. Some people just don't care that much about their lives and/or the lives of others...sad, but true nonetheless.

The good news is that the word is SLOWLY getting out, and our agency currently has a monthly condom budget of $8,000. Trust me when I say we give away all $8,000 worth of condoms every month...just proves that people are having sex and abstinence based education will not work.

new topics

top topics

join