It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do 'You' stay cool in the summer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I have 1 A/C and a few large fans in my apartment.

We received a general tennant notice back in June stipulating:

* 1 A/C unit or more would cost $175.00 per season - June - Oct. NOTE The building doesn't provide the units, we have to install our own unit.

I understand the need to fray Hydro costs (overloading the grid etc), but after 2 seasons worth of using at least 1 A/C unit, the money would total $350.00. I could pretty much pay for a brand spanking new A/C!!!

I wonder if this is the going rate with alot of other appartments?

When it gets hot out (30 Degrees Celcius or more / 90 Farenheit) I throw on the A/C. I need to have a 1/2 decent sleep for next days work.

Who wants to peel themselves off the sheets the next morning, after sweating profusely all night? Might as well cut to the chase and throw some shampoo and conditioner in the bed with you and sweat away! That way you'll wake up all nice and refreshed (minus the red-eye when the soap has its way with your eyeballs, when you roll around on the pillows).

1 Visine tube later.

Ok...so how do you all keep cool in your humble abode? Do you close the blinds/curtains? Open everything all up and 'let come what may'?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I live in an apartment building, and they do not permit air conditioners. In the middle of winter, we have no need to turn any heat on, and have the windows open most times. So come summer time, you can just imagine how warm it is. We have a few large fans to make it habitable, but it was merely blowing warm air in our faces.

So we said the hell with it and went out and bought an air conditioner.

They can bitch at me for ringing up the power bill, which is included in my rent, but I'm prepared to battle them on it. I use no heat in the winter, which is a big plus for them. If they pay a few extra bucks in the summer, so be it.

Place is so much more comfortable since installing it.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
High desert country here.
We're about 5000 feet elevation. a plus, for coolness.

It's been over, or near 100 degrees for the last month.
Low humidity though..10-15 percent.

During the day, we close the south facing blinds. And run the AC.
Some people use "swamp Coolers"..Which cool the air by evaporating water to the outside. Pretty efficient in low humidity areas.

At sundown, we get something called a Zephyr Wind, from the west..
It's not a totally cool breeze, but it moves air through the house.

About an hour after sundown, it starts to get chilly..SO the AC goes off, and the windows get opened.

The Daytime to nighttime temps can vary widely..50 degrees difference sometimes. Thats pretty helpful for sleeping.

OR

A six pack of "Polygamy Porter" my recent favorite beer.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
We try to use our wondow fans but there's days when the AC has to come on. I try to take the coolest shower I can before bed, wrap my hair into a bun(keeps my head cool) and sleep with as little clothing as possible. Hard to do with kids, but tank top and undies aren't too bad.
We just moved the bed by the window so the window fan works wonders.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I have to agree, a shower before bed is a big help, but I have to admit I run the A/C 24-7.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Hi Ducky.No A/C for me. Cold beer, cold shower. Nough said.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Sit in the basement with the fan blowing on me.

Yeah, thats it.

top topics

join