It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Dumbing Down" of America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm really starting to believe that there is a conspiracy by the elite and the mass media to effectively dumb down the American Population. I hate to say it but, I fear there are a lot, and I mean a lot of people who are so uniformed and very oblivious to what is truly going on in the world today?

Just look at all the crap that is "news" and the influence that is the Mass Media and advertising. To go along with this, I feel that are schools are failing teaching kids to learn how to think critically about issues and have any independent thought process.

With show's like Flavor of Love, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, not to mention the media hype over Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie, and Lyndsey Lohan. How can any "News Agency" actually report on this stuff and call it News. Are our lives so boring and inadequate that we are really interested in these bimbo's drug use and DUI's?

I think we are being conditioned by the elite and programed in any matter that we see fit!!!!! It's no wonder how they are able to control with fear!!!

What are your thoughts?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
When I was a senior in high school, I was bound and determined to write my thesis on the "Systematic Dumbing Down of the American Populace".

I never wrote that thesis, yet everywhere I look in today, I see step by step how I would have outlined it stepping into play.

Poor role models, high paced television with dramatic camera angles and constant movement, video games so intensive and consuming that one can remain immmersed in them for weeks and months without end, news reports that quickly change subjects and push the opinions and political dogma instead of allowing the viewer time to form him/her own opinion on the issue, so on and so forth.

Programming?

Yes, without a doubt.

Just remember - you don't have to subscribe to television, and you can regulate what you focus on while using the internet.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It is the same basic reason that the slave masters refused to allow slaves to learn to read, write and educate themselves. An educated and enlightened populace is a danger to those who wish to manipulate and exploit said populace.

Keep them fat, ignorant and distracted from what is really going on. Throw a little fear mongering in to influence the herd and cause panic, and you have the perfect recipe for a slave nation. How can one oppose the injustices that they are too blinded and ignorant to even see?

Keep your eyes glued to that idiot box, meanwhile we will strip you of all of your rights and rob you blind in the name of "protecting" you. It is so simple and transparent that it isnt even funny. Too bad you couldn't convince the average sheeple of what is happening even if you tried

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vinadetta
I'm really starting to believe that there is a conspiracy by the elite and the mass media to effectively dumb down the American Population.

I think the reason people believe whatever they are told is the very fact that we've already been dumbed down for some time now. With the exception of a small percentage of people, most have no idea what really goes on in the world, or in the shady underworld of the elite.

I hope, if anything, people are actually getting smarter. With the internet and sites like ATS, the curious will not go hungy. Don't accept that we are being dumbed down, thats what the elite want!

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Keep your eyes glued to that idiot box, meanwhile we will strip you of all of your rights and rob you blind in the name of "protecting" you. It is so simple and transparent that it isnt even funny. Too bad you couldn't convince the average sheeple of what is happening even if you tried

Well most of them are happy being spoon fed, eating up this garbage yet they can feel such pride and patriotism by just waving the American Flag and having a yellow ribbon with Support The Troops on their car. Most feel by doing these two things they are doing a great service to this nation. They would rather to this then hold our government accountable and call BS when they see it.

For me the whole purpose of a higher education was to teach that it is ok to ask questions, and think critically about the world!!! College is a growing process that is meant to open your mind and question the garbage that the text books teach you in primary education.

The foundation has been set: The American Public is so dumbed down and continues to be even more so that the government can do anything they want!!! The last executive order that left it wide open for the government to take away personal assets for protest and dissent against the Iraq war and the war on terror is truly freightening. Where the hell was the major networks on this one????

Now that the American Public's minds are basically Jell-O- it is easy to what they wish with Propaganda and Fear!!! Let's just hope the Internet will continue to remain free otherwise there may be no hope for this country without it. I know it is a bold statement but in today's society I don't feel it's too far from the truth.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
I hope, if anything, people are actually getting smarter. With the internet and sites like ATS, the curious will not go hungy. Don't accept that we are being dumbed down, thats what the elite want!

Have you looked around lately? Have you actually tried to have a conversation with a norm? Have you not once while talking to said norm want to beat ur head off a steel beam or something?

These questions should end with yes, yes, and Hell Yes....

Why because when you show people things that are different than what they think they get scared. They then want nothing to do with you and call you crazy insane or some CT freak.

The thing about sites like this.. we have what?? 200,000 or so thousand members and of that 3,500 or so who are active. So therefor the make up of people who actually like to think for themselves are in themselves very small comparative to the rest of the World of 6.5 billion people..

In other words, of THEY wanted to get rid of the 200,000 people who have visited this site that would be no problem.. Hell To get rid of the 3500 people who constantly visit this site would be no issue at all.

So most people don't care.. Alot of people have told me...

"Why do you care about 9/11 so much, Its not like you can do anything."
"That happened 6 yrs ago, let it go. As long as its not happening here why give a &hit about it."
"I don't know why you waste your time on those stupid conspiracy theory's. All they are is a bunch of BS."

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What actually did it for me...the most recent thing that TRULY proved to me that this administration has lost it's freakin mind...was that god awful immigration bill that they tried to pass behind closed doors. They really almost slid one by us there, amnesty for 16,000,000 illegal aliens combined with a government funded payout. I loved the way they tried to sneak that piece of butt wipe through the back door, banking on the fact that people were too stupid to take notice of what they were up to. AMAZING the audacity of these people, thank God someone caught on before it passed through and became legislation.

Right then and there I was fully 100% convinced that this government could give a rats ass about the well being of the American people. What garbage will they try to sneak past us next? Some of these people need to wake up and realize what is happening here in the U.S. or it will be too late to do anything about it.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
When gov't run education systems cater to the lowest and slowest what do you expect? Honestly...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
When gov't run education systems cater to the lowest and slowest what do you expect? Honestly...

I agree! I just recently met a teacher that teaches "Reading" to 8th graders!! No this is not a literature class either!!! It basic reading and comprehension. No it is for the more remedial students, but still why is this happening at the 8th grade level!!! I was in total shock that was what she teaches!! That is scary people!!!!

I also just watched this clip from the Colbert Report talking about the NAFTA Super Highway!!!
LINK
This was one of the only times I think I've ever heard of it in the MSM media (except for Lou Dobbs once) and I think PBS mentioned it on one of their news programs as well!!! This will truly be the start of the North American Union!!! People laugh at me when I try to explain to them that America will no longer be a soverign nation but will be joined with Canada and Mexico and we'll have a new currency mostly likely to be called the Amero. Most of the time I won't even touch on anything about questions in regards to 9-11.

What is shocking is that we actually have to watch Colbert Report and Satire News to learn about iniatives that will shape this country's future. At least their is a small bit of "Truthiness" out there left in the MSM.
When will the Madness Stop???

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
One day a couple of weeks ago, I had a discussion with several of my coworkers. The subject turned to immigration etc etc and as a point I refered to the proposed NAU plan that is already being crafted, designed and in many cases implemented. When I spoke of the U.S., Canada and Mexico being forced to conjoin into one country, one government with one currency and ruled by one unelected set of officials....these people looked at me as if I had just sprouted a second head!! They had no idea that such a thing even existed, and many laughed as if it were a joke or some far fetched nonsense that I had constructed to fool them. They refused to believe that such a thing would even be considered, must less implemented and carried out. Then when I directed them to the internet to do a small bit of research, it occured to them that perhaps I wasnt kidding after all.

THESE were all college educated, literate, upper middle class working adults who had no idea that the NAU even existed. How can that be I wondered? Go out and question the average Bob, Bill or Jane walking down the street, sitting in a bar, ask them how they feel about the NAU. They will look at you with a puzzling look on their faces. If 1 in 10 knew about the NAU I would be shocked, yet the evil plan in near completion!! It is sad, really.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Is it reaaly possible?
I don't think so

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Heres, just for fun, a different answer than what is expected on this thread.

When you visit a supermarket, you want diversity. And you want the best products to shine and stand out compared to the others.

When you visit a world, you want diversity. And if you are smarter than the asses of masses, then you shine and stand out compared to others. If everyone were as aware as you, then everyone would be the same and the world would be dull indeed.

simple people leading simple lives, aware people leading aware lives, its all part of the diversity of the whole. It is not up to me to dictate what should be important for them. If they think paris hilton is important, its not up to me to dictate that something else is important. Its not up to me to make the world conform with my "superior intelligence". I let them be what they are and instead shift my efforts to doing/seeing/saying/feeling/contributing something of value myself.

It is through idiots that I recognize who I am not and can therefore define what I would prefer to be.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Part of this whole scenario is the thousands of chemicals we are exposed to everyday. There are really dangerous chemicals in most all of the food in grocery stores and restaurants. The only safe food is fresh organic fruits and vegetables.

Food manufacturers have been increasing the amount of MSG in foods and that stuff causes neurological damage. Sodium nitrate causes cancer but is placed in all packaged meats to keep them red and looking fresh. Artificial sweeteners contain chemicals that also cause neurological problems (Sweet-n-Low, Nutrasweet, Splenda, etc). Over 90% of the food you purchase in a supermarket is completely unhealthy.

You can find out more about this at Newstarget:
www.newstarget.com...

You only really notice what it does to your body when you clean up your diet and get away from this stuff. Then if you do consume it occasionally, you definitely notice it because it makes you feel sick.

In addition to the poison in the food supply, there are thousands of chemicals in the personal care products we use everyday. Soap, shampoo, shaving cream, lotions, deodorants, makeup, perfumes. You can check the toxicity of the products you use at this website:
www.cosmeticdatabase.com...

Fluoride has been in most of the water supply for decades even though it is considered a hazardous material. It has NO place in the water supply! There are people now coming forward that are admitting that fluoride is dangerous but have been basically forced by the FDA to push the fluoride agenda.

The government introduced chemicals into everyday products over 100 years ago and it has been shown how certain illnesses and diseases have increased over the same period of time. You can find more information about this on the Hundred Year Lie website:
www.hundredyearlie.com...

This is a huge scam against the American people to make them fat, sick and stupid while stealing their hard-earned money away in the form of medical expenses. The sicker we are, the more medication we have to take. The more chemicals are in our bodies, the sicker and dumber we are. Doctors are paid huge amounts of money to push drugs on their patients and the media is constantly bombarding us with commercials pushing pharmaceutical drugs.

People have no idea what is being done to them. Most every product that you use is making you sick and it's much worse than most people think because the combination of the thousands of chemicals cause much greater harm that a few single ones.

The people who are figuring this out are going organic as quickly as possible. Personally, I got off of antidepressant medication after 7 years simply by changing my diet. It's that simple.

The war is being waged against the population. It's not science fiction. It's real. Go check out those websites. It will blow your mind.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
It is not up to me to dictate what should be important for them. If they think paris hilton is important, its not up to me to dictate that something else is important. Its not up to me to make the world conform with my "superior intelligence". I let them be what they are and instead shift my efforts to doing/seeing/saying/feeling/contributing something of value myself.

I for sure see where your going with this, I'm with you and respect your ideals behind this. However, it is scary when 8th graders need a "Reading Class".
Yeah, I'll admit that I'll browse through an issue of "US Weekly" at the checkout counter or my dentist, but when it's being thrown at me for an hour while watching CNN or any other Major News Network there has to be a line drawn somewhere. It isn't up to me or you to "dictate what should be important for them". The problem lies that any government should have a free and truly independent media to inform concerned citizens which assists in holding people in power accountable. It is the news and media that dictates what is important to a Majority of Americans, and our Corporate Controlled Media is failing and assisting in the "Dumbing Down" of America.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
the thing is, in the last 150 years, technology has sped up more than most peoples intellects can catch up with. So, you have infantile minds on the level of the year 1850, trying to cope with 2007-media. Its a bit overwhelming. They need some time to catch up with the changes. Id say that in overall people are more intelligent than they were 150 years ago. Give it another 500 years and they will be on the intellectual and spiritual level you are right now.

What you are implying though, is that their stupidity is a product of the media, while I am saying that the media is a product of their stupidity. In other words, if they would not accept and expect it, the media wouldnt be broadcasting it.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
the thing is, in the last 150 years, technology has sped up more than most peoples intellects can catch up with. So, you have infantile minds on the level of the year 1850, trying to cope with 2007-media. Its a bit overwhelming. They need some time to catch up with the changes. Id say that in overall people are more intelligent than they were 150 years ago. Give it another 500 years and they will be on the intellectual and spiritual level you are right now.

What you are implying though, is that their stupidity is a product of the media, while I am saying that the media is a product of their stupidity. In other words, if they would not accept and expect it, the media wouldnt be broadcasting it.

^
Absolute nonsense. People are no more and no less intelligent than they have ever been. The lack of comprehension evident today is due to a lack of exposure to classical education, not a deficit of intellectual ability. Read the ancient classics, read the primers that were used in schools 100 years ago, and you will have no doubt that human intelligence has not increased, but that human education has decreased.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

and this video

"Deliberate Dumbing Down of amerika"

[edit on 3-8-2007 by jaamaan]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by meurig
Is it reaaly possible?
I don't think so

Well, that 's all the proof I need as to the veracity of the subject!

But seriously, I have noticed, and been quite dismayed, with the truth herein. I am currently in the unfortunate position of being enrolled in one of the online Universities that have become quite popular for the working person. All I can say is that I am not impressed with the caliber of student that I am meeting. While there are those who can write a complete sentence and carry on an intelligent discussion, for the most part I am finding that the younger the student, the lower the intelligence, or perhaps a better word is knowledge.

Take for instance this small example:

Instructions: Write a brief introduction about yourself and describe the reasons why you are enrolled in your Major using at least 250 words.

" hi my name is ---- and i am takin ciminal justis i want to be a judge."

Now, this is from someone who supposedly graduated high school in America and then went on to get enrolled in college. What hope can we have when we see shiite like that?

Yes, this OP is right on target. The rest of the world only needs to sit back and wait until we are defenseless through stupidity. But I still have hope! WE can do better by our children. WE can see that they don't grow up like this. WE have ultimate control over our future and our children's destiny. It has been done before, it just takes a little more effort than letting someone else do it for us.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Yup, sadly kids come out of school, not knowing how to spell things. I have become more literate since being out of the school system. Interesting.

I would not want to go back through school these days. You might do something to attract the Psychology department, then you'll get pushed to take Psych drugs. It's a really sad condition for our schools systems. It seems to be more about "control" than education.

I think perhaps the whole world has been "dumbed down" for some time. We suspect things like other life in the universe, but people in authority positions greet us with skepticism and swamp gas. People know what they see in the skies. We aren't dumb primates. The "Super Skeptical Society" allways seems to be there "when we are onto something." So, we can be talked "back to our senses."

The more I look at things the more it seems there could be a very large general conspiracy that spawns off other smaller conspiracies. Like we were not meant to know much beyond planet earth. (which is one of the ideas I have as being one of the main conspiracies)

Look at us. Have you ever seen so many drugs to fit every little "carefully labeled and catalogged" ailment? Almost everyone can be fitted with an ailment, which has a "wonderful" little pill you can take for it. Never mind that you could have serious complications or imparement from these drugs, though. "You are a citizen dammit, and surely there is a drug that even you should be taking!"

Troy

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The US is not the only country 'dumbing down' it's citizenry.

Australia is right up there with churning propaganda, pulling the wool over our eyes and inflicting banal tv programmes on us.

The US leads and Oz always follows.

Some of us refuse to be 'dumbed down' and have resisted the temptation to be sheeplke and follow the trends.

I'll bet some Brits and other ATSers from all over the world would agree.

Resist the dumbing

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join