It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foot and Mouth Disease outbreak

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
Just been watching the BBC news;

There was a person from some agency being interviewed, and the news reporter made the point afterwards that the person being interviewed specifically made referrence to a "leak" from a facility being one probable cause. For them to even state this suggests that it is probably the case.

No for them to state that means they are looking at every possibility, with a leak being one possibility.

To answer my own question, yes, there is a facility close to where the outbreak has occured. It now becomes quite apparent that this probably is sabotage.. but why now is the question.. what need is there for this at the current time?..
[edit on 4-8-2007 by shrunkensimon]

No it only becomes apparent to you.
You do like to make a conspiracy theory out of practically everything dont you

[edit on 4/8/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Strange how gordan brown has just come in and had three things go wrong.

1) fire - with the glasgow and london failed attacks
2) water - the floods in england costing billions
3) earth - now a case of foot and mouth, time will only tell how bad this is.

Strange coincidence that he has three things go wrong, in these different things.

Earth, fire and water, maybe some occultic connection here for you conspiracy minded of you here.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Its just the elite struggling to maintain their domination with fear based tactics.. except its not really working, because in all three cases people have reacted with discontent towards the government itself, rather than at the circumstances.

Oh i love it when an evil plan backfires

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
www.defra.gov.uk...
Here is a map showing the veterinarian laboratories that house animal diseases for testing.
V.L.A. veterinary laboratories agency

Weybridge is the closest.

[edit on 4-8-2007 by tracey ace]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Ah yes, DEFRA was the agency that had a spokeswoman on the BBC today, the one i referred too earlier.

I live about 10 minutes away from Weybridge
There are some big pharma companies located in Weybridge i think, aswell as some of the most expensive houses in the country. Not sure how thats relevant, just thought id include some local knowledge

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I have horrible memories of the last outbreak.The smell was horrendous,(the burnings) and because i live so close to the countryside there wasnt many places you could go to because of the blocks everywhere.Defra signs everywhere.
Even places where there were no farms.The countryside is going to suffer big time if it gets worse as now is the time that families want to go to national parks e.t.c.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The strain has been found to be identical to a strain "associated with vaccine production" and used for that purpose at the Pirbright lab at the government funded "Institute for Animal Health".

DEFRA has stated "The strain of the disease detected in the outbreak is not one recently found in animals" and Debby Reynolds, the government's chief veterinarian has stated they are "investigating biosecurity arrangements at the laboratory site."

www.msnbc.msn.com...

DAMN! O_O The cows appear to have been infected by the strain at the lab!!!

[edit on 8-4-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

www.guardian.co.uk...
Disease strain linked to nearby lab

The outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease on a farm in Surrey is being linked to a nearby animal research laboratory, with fears the virus could have leaked from the facility.
Officials from the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said the strain detected in cattle is the same as one being used at the Pirbright lab a few miles from the infected area.

Out comes will be interesting ...

[edit on 5-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The outcome could indeed be interesting as there was also a private company on the same site as DEFRA who was doing research on the same strain of Vaccine that the animals caught.
It was said last night that, that particular strain of FMD was only found in the vaccine, so someone is going to get into the doodoo very sharpish methinks

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   

An accidental leak of an experimental vaccine from a private research site was being investigated urgently last night as the likely source of Britain's new foot and mouth disease outbreak.

Scientists made a breakthrough last night as they identified the strain of the virus as one which is not naturally occurring, but is a vaccine strain, and has never been seen before in Europe. This enabled investigators to link the outbreak to a company which lies less than three miles down the road from the source of the outbreak.

The Observer UK

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
where they still getting cattle feed from India?
since the last out break was due to contamintaed feed which was made from waste productucts from the gangees (human and animal bones and other waste products )

Edit: guess it was the americans this time

[edit on 5-8-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
The pharmaceutical company allegedly involved in producing the batch of F&M strain 01 BFS67, is Merial, they are worldwide but seem to be based in Duluth, Georgia.

It does seem a bit coincidental that a batch of this particular strain was produced on the 16th of July and the same strain found in the affected animals.

It certainly points toward Merial being the source of the outbreak, as to how it actually got to the farm is another question.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Only a few KMs away sits a government agricultural lab building, which does indeed house a Merial agri lab.
www.ctv.ca...

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
where they still getting cattle feed from India?
since the last out break was due to contamintaed feed which was made from waste productucts from the gangees (human and animal bones and other waste products )

Edit: guess it was the americans this time

[edit on 5-8-2007 by bodrul]

I always thought the contaminated feed excuse was a bit thin and that the whole issue was more more than a little stinky. The mass culling of animals, both infected and otherwise seemed like a panicky measure rather than a measured response. There was then the story that a vial of FMD culture had gone missing from a lab prior to the outbreak, which didn't get much publicity at all. I had also read that the missing vial was from a level-4 bio facility, which seems a little strange as level-4 is usually used for the nastiest of organisms such as smallpox, Anthrax, Ebola etc. Makes one wonder if someone has been tinkering with FMD and this was a deliberate release by someone, prompting the drastic culling before it got out any further, or perhaps crossed to the human population.

In this instance, it also seems to have come from a lab nearby. Makes me feel so safe knowing these things can get out

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
News just in through the BBC, The E.U. Commission, has imposed, a European Ban on British Beef products. Lets hope this ban is only tempory. If this does turn out to b e a bio, leak from those facilities, will the Vets dealing with this be able to use the Vaccine that that Lab has prodcued to stop the spreading of this outreak. Or will they have to cull more cattle.

The government has imposed a ban on the movement of all livestock in England, Scotland and Wales while the European Commission has banned live animal exports from the UK. A commission spokesman said there was no need for individual EU countries to take trade action against the UK.

Source

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I had also read that the missing vial was from a level-4 bio facility, which seems a little strange as level-4 is usually used for the nastiest of organisms such as smallpox, Anthrax, Ebola etc. Makes one wonder if someone has been tinkering with FMD and this was a deliberate release by someone, prompting the drastic culling before it got out any further, or perhaps crossed to the human population.

Foot & Mouth virus is a normally a Category 4 virus, because it is so contagious.

zero lift

[edit on 6-8-2007 by zero lift]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
From what I have read previously, FMD is usually a level-3 as it poses no contagion risk to humans. Unless of course someone has been monkeying about with it and developed a strain that can be passed on to humans - which would not surprise me in the slightest

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Foot and Mouth Virus Released From Government Lab

Russian news agency ITAR-TASS is reporting that the release of the virus ame after an "international drill" last month that was held at Pirbright laboratory, in which live virus was used. Real attacks are always shadowed by drills to provide culpable deniability.

The strain of foot and mouth disease that has put Britain on high alert has been identified as originating from a government laboratory which is shared with an American pharmaceutical company, mirroring the deadly outbreak of 2001 and potentially signaling a new wave of agraterrorism intended to cripple the farming community.

As was the case in 2001, when a vial of foot and mouth virus that was "stolen" from a government bio-weapons laboratory caused untold misery for thousands of farmers and devastated the industry, the origin of the latest outbreak traces directly back to a government research facility.

Interesting perspective into this.

Mod Edit: Excessive Bolding – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
If this outbreak of Foot and Mouth did indeed originate from close-by laboratories then the question of security does arise. However, the production of vaccines against the known strains of the Foot and Mouth Virus are variously dependant on the number of serotypes and the method of production. In the early days of vaccine trials relatively all of the vaccines were produced from organically grown and deadened virus, unlike many today which are synthetically grown. Due to the nature of organic vaccines there was always the slight possibility of infection occuring in lieu of the vaccine. If these laboratory technicians were experimenting with outdated deadened virus vaccines then there is a possibility of an actual outbreak occuring, as outbreaks rarely occure with synthetic viral strains.

The good thing is that Aphthoviruses (such as Foot and Mouth) are rarely spread to humans through consumption of infected meat, due to the nature of stomach acid being able to disband the Icosahedral capsid and proteins used for transcription of the RNA Polymerase. So, it seems quite odd to me that they would have to slaughter any of the cattle...not only is it rarely transmitted to humans, but most mammals are able to destroy the virus after it has run its course in their bodies. The virus that causes foot and mouth is found in the same family group as that of Hepatitis A and Rhinoviruses like the cold virus, which typically grow unstable after infection and are usually able to be fought off by the immune system.

I believe the biggest question here is what types of vaccines they were experimenting with, because as someone mentioned they isolated it to "01 BFS67-like" strain of viruses. If true, this does give the "conspiracy crowd" a certain leg to stand on. However, before jumping to conclusions it is best to hear what happened in the lab that triggered its release into the general population. That is...how it happened, and what security measures were in place to contain it.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Suspected Second Case

Seems it might be spreading.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join