It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Day expands NEXUS program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I know I said one article a day but this is too much to let pass.

Halifax, Nova Scotia, August 1, 2007 -- The Minister of Public Safety, the Honourable Stockwell Day, and U.S. Consul General Harold D. Foster today announced the opening of NEXUS kiosks at Halifax Robert L. Stanfield International Airport.

“Canada’s New Government is proud to announce that Halifax Robert L. Stanfield International Airport is now accepting NEXUS members,” said Minister Day. “The NEXUS card not only serves as a secure alternative to a passport under the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative for travel by air, but allows NEXUS members to be expedited through the Canadian and U.S. border clearance processes.”

“We are pleased to be joining our Canadian partners,” said U.S. Consul General Foster, who represented U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the event. “The NEXUS program offers tremendous benefits to border officials and travellers. This program encourages travel between our countries, and we look forward to continuing to expand in the coming months.”

Well our biometric passports are now coast to coast folks.

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States. In the air mode, NEXUS uses non-invasive iris recognition technology to identify the traveller and verify his or her membership in the program.

This part really really bothers me. What the heck is a " low risk" traveller? What about no risk? Why do I need to get a retina scan to board a plane? Is this in America yet?

news.gc.ca...

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca...

[edit on 3-8-2007 by GAOTU789]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yeah, I find myself quite skeptical over this.

I live minutes from the Halifax airport and will be flying through there this month. Knowing that "low risk" passengers can be pre-approved for their travel, seems to me that it is opening the door for possible exploitation through terrorism.

Why differentiate passengers?

I think there should be two groups of travelers.

"Low Risk" and "No Thank You!"

If anyone poses any sort of risk, whatsoever, they should be denied. None of this, "Well, I think he's ok.. but I'm not 100% certain." We are dealing with people's lives here, and I for one would like to know that my butt is completely safe while flying on any airline.

It's always better to be safe than sorry.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
eh..

Any "low-risk" passenger should be questioned.. IMO

What is so invasive about this?
It's not mandatory. There is no "You need a retina scan". And no "We need your retina on file"

This is simply am option to applying for a passport.

As long as a "low-risk" passenger isn't found to be so due to their ethnicity, I'm fine with it.
I would never apply for one.

This is more than just terrorism though. It is also to prevent convicted felons from travelling.

Edit: And migrating.

[edit on 29/8/07 by ju stab urden]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The NEXUS card is a prototype NAU identification. It requires many pieces of very personal info, including biometrics. They will introduce more and more perks to having the card, until it is basically like a driver's license where you can barely do anything without it. Then we will all be in the national biometric database with our DNA and fingerprints and God knows what else.
The only step after that is to turn the Nexus card into a Nexus MICROCHIP.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
You see people this is what microwaves are good for put your new cards in the 25 seconds and wham bam fried data, keep doing this until they get sick of making them?

new topics

top topics

join