It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collapsing Bridges VS. The War in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Editor’s Note: The tragedy in Minnesota, as a collapsed bridge sent motorists to their deaths, is another reminder about the hidden costs of the $1 trillion Iraq War, reminiscent of how the federal government's neglect of the levees contributed to the hurricane devastation of New Orleans two years ago.

In this guest essay, Stephen Crockett of DemocraticTalkRadio.com argues that the Bush administration's spending priorities -- including an estimated $1 trillion for an unnecessary war -- will cost the lives not only of U.S. soldiers and Iraqi civilians but American citizens who will die from a decaying infrastructure and other government neglect:

The kind of money being spent by the Bush Republicans can result in saved or lost lives.

The News Story Here:
www.consortiumnews.com...

My Opinion:

How much is a trillion dollars? I have only ever held hundreds' (the $100 american currency bill) a few times in my life. The rest of the times I watch them rise and fall from my bank account.

We are spending way too much money in the war that will prove us to be the dominent country. What are we trying to prove?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
At work, I was kidding around with my friends that someone out there is getting together a story titled, "Bridge collapse: Bush's fault" or something along those lines.

I don't see the infrastructure of the US falling apart like some people fear. Things aren't being neglected because there's no money for repairs.

Outside of my home, the PennDOT just put in a brand new bridge over the river for the Turnpike.

In Northern NY, where I'm from, a nearby town just had a dam that was something like 100 years old replaced. (Of course, I'm not going to bring up the fact it breached 6 months or so after it was replaced!!)

Money had been set aside for the New Orleans levees yearly. This was going on way before Bush and Iraq were in the news. Where did that money go?

"Literally millions of Americans have died earlier than they should have as a result of Republicans blocking health care reform. We could have guaranteed universal health care as far back as President Truman. Republicans have always falsely stated that guaranteed universal health care was just not financially possible." - Is this Bush's fault? Since Truman? Several democratic Presidents between Truman and Bush. I think they all felt the same: Universial Health Care isn't the answer. I just heard something about that on the radio, saying they want UHC for everyone "up to 65". What happens after that? Cut off? Or do I get to rely on the wonderful Medicare/Medicaid system?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Because I am positive that, not only is a state-bridge the federal government's job, but, a freaking bridge was on-top of The President of The United State's schedule.

This is like talking about how Rumsfeld knew about Tillman.

Do you really think the Secretary of Defense cares about some football star? Public opinion or not?

All a matter of perspective.

join