It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Pulled from Sublike Vessel in NYC River

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
One of the guys is claiming to be a descendant of David Bushnell. Assuming that to be true, this would seem to be an attempt to stage a faux simulation of the original Bushnell sub run...I mean they had the British ship and everything.

With that said - what the heck charges are being filed? Is it illegal to make your own boat? (or sub) I truly don't understand how the authorities can say there will be several charges if this was simply three guys attempting to test out a home made replica of the Bushnell sub.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It is a turtle replica. Here's some updates with the citations against the vessel's owner:

www.foxnews.com...

NEW YORK — In a bizarre case of "marine mischief," a Brooklyn artist manning a replica Revolutionary War submarine caused a scare Friday morning after police found the strange-looking vessel foundering in a security zone near the docked Queen Mary 2, authorities said.

The Coast Guard issued two citations to Riley, 35, of Brooklyn — one for having an unsafe vessel, the other for violating a security zone. The sub came within 200 feet of the bow of the Queen Mary 2, Rorison said.

"Basically, the vessel was not safe to sail. It had no lights, no flares. It was not registered," she said. "Instead of safety violations, this could have turned into a search and rescue."

Riley is a sculptor and performance artist whose work "addresses the prospect of residual but forgotten unclaimed frontiers on the edge and inside overdeveloped urban areas, and their unsuspected autonomy," according to his Web site.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 8/3/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thats what I figured that it looked like the Turtle design of the first submarine.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
According to the article this is the second time for this person. Both times he got too close to the Queen Mary 2. They would have been incompetent had they not stopped this weird endeavor. Why did he twice try to approach the same ship. In a submersible designed originally to plant bombs on ships no less! Did he drop something overboard after being stopped? How would anyone know?

I'll bet they watch very closely for these nuts from now on. I say nuts because they seem to be fixated on one ship that carries a huge number of people. If they were just doing a historic recreation why not ask permission or do it elsewhere. Why keep trying the same ship?

Time traveller??????????????

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I say "Hats off" to the guy for going ahead with his dream, but....Maybe he should think about approaching various historical societies with his ideas. He could find that this not only would bring him funding for these projects, but also wider exposure and legitimate licensing, which would allow him to continue unhindered in the future. Just a thought...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well, if he had actually attempted this before and been scolded (or whatever) by the authorities, then the big moron factor has to be applied and maybe he should get to pay some fines. I mean after the first time - assuming that's correct that he tried before - he should have known to contact officials to let them know he was going to be playing.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Authorities said it was the second time Riley had floated the vessel in the vicinity of the cruise ship. The submarine, which reportedly did not have a mechanical propulsion system, was being towed by two other men in a rowboat.

Sometimes ya just gotta read the article

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If this is what I think it is... a cross between sculpture and performance art, then he got what he wanted; nation-wide coverage.

The guy has moxie for pulling this off twice but I think he needs a day in court and a hefty enough fine that further projects like that are discouraged.

Edit to add... I'm just glad it wasn't my old sculpture teacher. he makes things MUCH scarier than that submersible.

www.donbonham.com...

[edit on 3/8/07 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I think people should be suspicious as well as keep an open mind.
History is supposed to teach people for the future , so New Yorkers have a right to be suspicious. Just think if a similar object was responsible for a bridge collapse .
But then bridges don't collapse do they?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Was he trying to do an reenactment by possible putting something harmless but lookalike bomb or torpedo against a cruiseship? Like a famous ship?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
So, this guys were actually pulling a stunt? I admire the effort of building such a craft, but they haven not chosen their testing 'grounds' wisely. Right in the middle of a harbor with heavy traffic. As someone stated, this stunt could have easily turned into S&R operation...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I agree it was most likely a stunt for media attention. I don't think anyone could be so stupid as to not think this makeshift sub motoring around the QM2 would be suspicious. I'm sure she would make a prime target for would-be terrorists.

This wouldn't exactly be a new tactic for them either, remember what happened to the Cole in Yemen.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Perfect excuse:-
@Sir it ir an abject form of art'
Where as what they meant to say:-
I was testing a submersible bomb to find out how quickly the Emergency Services respond and from what area they arrive from

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well, it was a cool idea, but I don't think these knuckleheads had a clue if they were using that anywhere near shipping.

What, they didn't think someone would raise the alarm??

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
How far can they getbe fore the alarm can be raised, and how long to capture? All useful information

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well I say Right on to the Coast Gaurd and Harbor Patrol for citing this guy. He's a moron for many reason.

First, the thing isn't sea worthy. That obvious since it had no form of propulsion.

Second, it could easily get rammed on accident and the dude would be very dead inside that little fiberglass capsul.

third, you don't go within 200 feet of the ship cause it's a security zone. most people who work on a boat know this rule and why it's there. suprised he didn't. They don't let you amble up to a cargo ship easily either. The cruise ship also has bow thrusters and all sorts of things that they don't want bozo the sub captain getting stuck in. Sueing the cruise ship owners in response.

fourth, What sort of idiot would risk their lives in that thing while it cruised through the industrial waste slush water they call the NY harbor. Just coming in contact with that water could send you to a hospital. so try and submerge oneself in it.

five, creepy jerk is targeting the Queen Mary. A british ship which I could see working into the whole revolutionary war thing. But it would be one thing if he rolled up to the cruise ship and dumped bails of tea overboard. Rolling up in a replica of a ship that was designed for the intended use of attaching a limpet mine to the keel of british ship is plain stupid.

I don't walk down the street with a replica crossbow that doesn't fire but looks real cause it's stupid, seriously lacking in social graces, and something I would expect to cause a negative reaction from the crowd and or police. but this man did something anologus to that. what a douche. I say ticket him some more. And then instruct him to test out the sub from a slip while it has a few lines firmly securing it to the side of a private dock or something. A situation where the thing can't drift away or sink, but can still be tested for water tightness or whatever.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
fourth, What sort of idiot would risk their lives in that thing while it cruised through the industrial waste slush water they call the NY harbor. Just coming in contact with that water could send you to a hospital. so try and submerge oneself in it.

Actually, that's not true anymore. People kayak and even swim in the waters around NYC now.

www.nyswim.org...

The water quality of the Hudson, East and Harlem rivers is fine. Today, the Hudson's waters flow cleaner than they have in decades and the Hudson is considered one of the healthiest estuaries on the Atlantic Coast. Its rich history and striking environmental recovery have made it one of the nation's fourteen American Heritage Rivers. Years of hard work by dedicated scientists, politicians, and river-lovers have opened the Hudson's shores to swimming, fishing, and boating. Revitalized public beaches, boat launches, parks, and angling spots dot the Hudson's shores.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
People swim in the water around NY harbor. Now there is a true sign of the human race becoming less evolved intellectually.

If the water has a visibility level of 9 inches in full sun and the particulates clouding the water are NOT natural but of man made pollution than you are increadibly stupid for swimming in the water. Mankind is dumbing down...seriously.

Saw some surfers yesterday in the water right infront of a well known sewer pipe run off, and a creek that ferrys away the run off from the howard hughes lab up stream. Everybody knows in the area that you don't swim in this part of malibu for that reason. These guys had no problem innoculating themselves in this water.

My old assistant used to surf all the time in that same area (against everybody's warnings) until one day he got a horrible infection/rash thing on his feet. Imagine both feet up to the shins swollen and covered in scaley, eczema like blisters that resembled the chicken pox for two weeks. The doctors in the emergency room diagnosed him with an unknown possibly bacterial infection. from time to time it comes back just a bit and has now spread to his hands. agua con atescadero es no bueno.

I say to the people who swim in the NY harbor to wait a few years and see if they have grown an extra appendage that they weren't born with. Lets see how smart they feel that they have swam from hooker point to the statue of liberty and back again, only to get some exotic affliction years later.

I remember this one famous bass player named Jaco Pastorius ( a schitoid, lived a very interesting life) stayed up on coke for 3 days living on a public basketball court in the bronx and then decided to bathe by swimming in the NY harbor. Never killed him, but he did die a few years later. Nothing related to a horrible water born infection but who knew maybe he had something that didn't get a chance to manifest because he died before it could.

Either way, people that swim in the NY harbor seem to me just as Crazy as good old Mr. Pastorius.

I think all of the people who like to swim in the NY harbor should take a tour of the country hitting up all of the US finest harbors. Come with on us on a magical adventure where we'll swim through the glittering irridecent greasy waters of San Peidro Harbor. Join us as we dash from san beadro harbor across terminal island while gossimers of viscouse water will dribble off your soon to be infected body! for those extra daring long beach harbor will be the final destination where we'll spend the twilight hours doing the backstroke as we pass beautiful mulitcolored waterfalls of cargo ship ballast discharges. From there we'll be throwing a bonfire on the sholes near the break water and eating all the odds and bits that we find on the cluttered harbor bottom along the way!

Seriously though, why test the turtle mock up on an ship thats got over 3,000 people on it? thats creepy.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Not to say that they haven't cleaned up the hudson river some. but would you eat fish that's caught in that water. fish that have been living off of god knows what they find on the bottom or that is dumped off of the ships. I'm very suspect of those scientific findings. I think they were probably paid off by their grant people to make the project look more successful than it really is. That harbor has got to still be somewhat nasty.

I know that people get sick swimming in the malibu coast line. Malibu's filthier than the NY harbor? Probably not. It's probably no safer than swimming in the long beach/ san pedro harbor.

Fishermen wouldn't eat the fish cought in LA's harbor and I'm sure the guys in NY don't either. Not talking about the amature fishermen who catch perch and talapia off the peir. thats dumb too. Not potable eating.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It's all about PR.
It doesn't matter if it's a British ship or that that the waters are putrid.
But to be able to do something so scarey within the supposedly most secure country in the world, is PRICELESS

[edit on 3-8-2007 by meurig]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join