It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frankenforests: GE Trees Threaten Ecosystem Collapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Frankenforests: GE Trees Threaten Ecosystem Collapse

www.alternet.org

GE trees are planted in monoculture forests, which look more like plantations, and pose serious risks to the ecosystem. Trees live decades or centuries longer than plants, and their seeds can travel hundreds of miles, increasing the likelihood of gene contamination to wild species. The technology was created to optimize the manufacturing process, but environmentalists worry that it will open an ecological Pandora's Box and threaten the health of the forests we depend on for survival.

The world is a test lab
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I'm really not sure what to make of this.
In the UK the debate about GE has been going on for quite a while, with one side saying it's perfectly safe whilst the other side urges caution and the need to look at the long term impact of GE.

I suppose, as usual, the public will be the last to know, and that any harmful effects will be minimised in an attempt to persuade us that GE is a good thing.

I'm also not sure about opponents view of this as "playing god" - it seems to me that if we have the tools to improve our planet, then we should, provided they are safe.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
GE in some case can be very very bad. Nature for thousands of years has slowly molded exactly what plants and animals should do. I don't think us oh so "smart" humans need to dive heard first into this stuff. But never mind that, we'll do what we always do and dive right in and then when disaster hits go "oh josh, we should have known better".

apc

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Animals like us...

I'm not too worried. If engineered trees are harmful to the life cycle, they won't survive. That is how nature works.

top topics

join