It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dante, The Divine Comedy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hey, im currently reading 'The Divine Comedy' by a guy called Dante, very old book, its more of a book of poem more then a story, been great so far. im only half way through Inferno, so Paridiso and Pargatoria to go (sorry for spelling) Got a new quote from it few days ago. 'There is no greater sorrow, than looking backwards on a happyer time'

Any one else read it ?

Take care, Vix

SR

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Yes it's a great read if you make it all the way through purgato is the weakest of the three and put me off the book for a while that beatrice character is annoying as well. I love the imagery the book describes especially inferno about hell.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by SR]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yer its amazing, Vigil (spelling....problys wrong) is a grwta character, is it only us two who have read it ? lol

Take Care, Vix

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Unfortunately I've not had the pleasure of reading the Divine Comedy yet. But I'm working on it. I'm heading into town tomorrow so I'll check my library.

Is it good? I was worried it would lose something in translation.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I've read all 3 several times and would recommend them to anyone who loves literature!!

here's one of my fave quotes from Inferno....

"A man must stand in fear of just those things that truly have the power to do us harm,of nothing else,for nothing else is fearsome."

Milton's Paradise Lost can be a bit hard going at times,but its also definatly worth reading!

[edit on 30-8-2007 by jakyll]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I saw this thread and I almost cried! Not many people have read this amazing story. if you liked this book then I would also recomend oedipus rex, which is a greek tradegy, meant to be performed. All the characters wear masks that are symbolic to their personality. It was written by Sophocles in 420 B.C. I belive

/wikipedia

My apologies its 428 B.C. =D

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Yes,its a shame that more people do not read the classics.

If you like classical greek authors try,Virgil,Aesop,Homer and Ovid.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Isn't Dante where the notion of what Hell is like came from?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisJr03

No, actually Dante describes hell totally different...he says that the deepest and worst parts of hell are cold as ice, and satan himself is trapped. And he has two people who are frozen with him...Judas and Brutus...because to dante the betrayel of a friend is the worst sin you can commit.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Vixion

I like it when Dante goes to hell. Pretty cool place. I heard they were making a movie about it. Wanna check that out. Anyways, the book is filled with a lot of references dating back to Dante's time and stuff. So me was pretty lost like 70% of the book, HAH. I like reading about the different circles of hell and stuff.

Aristotle and all those dudes are in the purgatory caused they were not baptized and yeah. Pretty sad. Umm I have it somewhere perhaps I should read it again. I never finished it. With a bit of acid you can literally SEE it with your own eyes dude.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Pagani]

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Pagani]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I haven't read the book yet. But I heard Nero is the only one in I think the 7nth level of hell but he's not in the lake of fire what's he doing chilling on the side? Why is he not burning in the lake of fire?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I've read it. Part of me enjoyed it yet part of me didn't.

I enjoyed it for its literary value. It had AMAZING imagery and the concept of telling a story from the perspective of a person going through hell (literally) was brilliant, especially for its time. Also, I found Dante's description of the levels of hell very thought provoking.

The philosophical side of me did NOT enjoy it. I found the world-view created in the Divine Comity very narrow and limiting. Also, it assumed many of the values and concepts that I disagree with most whole-heartedly.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It can be a hard read getting through it all. Regardless of that, I think the inspired art that has come from his masterful creation of literature is the perfect compliment. As well, there are many quotables throughout.
I love to read the classics from those that created the foundation of what good literature is and can be.

new topics

top topics

join