It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible system for colinization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Seems some auzzies have found a system that may meet the needed criteria for life to grow. While it means it's another place that could already hold life, I think it's more likely viewed as somewhere to spread to.

"There are four components that are required for life to begin: a "feeding" star (the Sun for our planet), enough heavy elements (carbon, oxygen and hydrogen) for a planet to form, enough time for adequate evolution (at least 4 billion years) and no super-new stars in close vicinity that could cause an explosion and death to everything living around. "

english.pravda.ru...

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by feygan
Seems some auzzies have found a system that may meet the needed criteria for life to grow. While it means it's another place that could already hold life, I think it's more likely viewed as somewhere to spread to...

I am waiting to hear more about it. Any other links.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
But this is refering to life as we know/percieve it isnt it possible there could be life that survives in environments completely different to our own and they percieve earth as being incapable of supporting life

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
But this is refering to life as we know/percieve it isnt it possible there could be life that survives in environments completely different to our own and they percieve earth as being incapable of supporting life

Quite possible. In a sense many planets are alive, they grow, they produce energy, the emit stuff and they die.

But the life in different environment may or may not be self-aware like us. We as humans are looking for species of same origin as ourself through evolution and the article is talking about life as we know it.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
wait!!!

just realised you weretalking about possible colonies... my bad... i withdraw my previous comment

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Seems those two clever antipodeans have found not just one system but an entire habitable zone, using methods of distance from dangers, chances of metal dense planets etc.

astronomy.swin.edu.au...

Theres also a pdf of the full paper published January 2 2004, discribing the methods used and the main area's.

"We modeled the evolution of the Milky Way to trace the distribution in space and time of four prerequisites for complex life: the presence of a host star, enough heavy elements to form terrestrial planets, sufficient time for biological evolution and an environment free of life-extinguishing supernovae. We identified the Galactic habitable zone (GHZ) as an annular region between 7 and 9 kiloparsecs from the Galactic center that widens with time and is composed of stars that formed between 8 and 4 billion years ago. This GHZ yields an age distribution for the complex life that may inhabit our Galaxy. We found that 75% of the stars in the GHZ are older than the Sun."

astronomy.swin.edu.au...

Finally theres a movie showing how this "Galactic Habitable Zone" would have developed in our galaxies lifetime. I'm not sure if it was my connection playing up or a problem with their server, but it took me a while to load.

astronomy.swin.edu.au...

Anyone that doesn't want to wait for a movie but wishes to see a few high res images.
astronomy.swin.edu.au...

[Edited on 21-1-2004 by feygan]

new topics

top topics

join