It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Arrogance?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Intelligent life will travel to wherever other life forms can be found to study and learn more about it. The assumption that we are in the middle of nowhere is really just that, an assumption at best. We have no way of knowing where we are located in the grand scheme of outer space. I also believe that outer space is “teeming with life” but that does not make this planet any less interesting. Every world is going to be different, special and posses unique characteristics worth of intense study - Earth included.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
Every world is going to be different, special and posses unique characteristics worth of intense study - Earth included.

Worthy of intense study?We uncover new lifeforms every day here on Earth and it rarely makes the news.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I dont think is much to do with arrogance. IMO it has to do with culture and history. You kind find many texts from early civilization that point out to extraterrestial visits. From the egyptians to the summerians to the hindus and the Mahabharata to the landscapes that you find in South America, to texts and paintings troughout the Medieval times, and all the stories in modern human history.

If you read all of those in context you can assume that we have been visited for many many years, so we are just picking up what our ancestors left us. Is no help that modern historians think past historians where a bunch of wackos that did not knew what they were talking about.

Theres is an amazing thread that goes really in depth about this, is from our member UNDO and she has make a lot of research into this, if you feel like opening your mind to what I just mention.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by aylyan

Every world is going to be different, special and posses unique characteristics worth of intense study - Earth included.

Worthy of intense study?We uncover new lifeforms every day here on Earth and it rarely makes the news.

Just because the everyday person does not study them does not mean that scientists do not study them.

Do you really think that beings who can travel through space do not care about finding new life forms? That's one of the main reasons to travel through space and it is one of the great mysteries.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by aylyan

Which is what could possibly make us unique from "older" civilizations capable of interstellar travel.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Why? If there were that many lifeforms visiting this little place in the middle of nowhere, then statistically the universe would have to be positively teeming with life - and we'd really have noticed.

The Hill Abduction Case offers a good clue. The aliens showed Betty a star map which showed a logical path investigating yellow stars like their own, including ours. (note: Betty reproduced this chart under hypnosis, and it was later shown to be quite accurate, even including stars that weren't known at the time she drew it, and correctly identifying those which were yellow).

As for teeming with life, how would we have noticed? So far, we've detected what we believe to be water on the Moon, Mars, and Europa, and that's just in our neck of the woods. We just now started being able to see large planets around nearby stars, so we're still unable to see smaller ones...Just how exactly are we to "notice" this teeming of life? I believe we'll eventually find our galaxy to have far more life than we think is out there....

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Arrogance? I think you underestimate the chances of life in the known Universe. It's understandable. These numbers are sometimes hard for human minds to comprehend.

Let me break down a conservative estimation for you real quick:

The universe was created in the Big Bang event 12 to 15 billion years ago. Let's call it 12 billion years.

The best guess for the start of life on Earth is around 4 billion years ago. So, some regions of the universe have had up to 4 times longer to form life than earth has.

The Hubble Space Telescope site estimates there are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe. A recent German super-computer simulation estimates that the number may be as high as 500 billion! Let's split the difference and say 250 million galaxies in the Universe.

It's estimated that there could be 100 million Earth-like planets in our Galaxy alone. Out of 100 million let's say that there could be 5% that are capable of supporting life long enough and in a habitable environment for evolution to reach our mark of mankind. So, that's 5 million Earth-like planets in our galaxy.

So, let's do some math ...

5 million earth-like planets x 250 million galaxies = 1, 250, 000,000,000,000 (One quadrillion, two hundred and fifty trillion)

Then, consider that some galaxies have been around 4 times longer than life has existed on our planet.

That's a big chance for intelligent life. And this was a conservative estimate.

Indeed, I'd say that the Universe very well could be teeming with life.

As for the reason's for visiting Earth? Why are you one the computer right now? Why do people watch TV, play videogames, read books. With all that traveling around the Universe, it sure must get boring sometimes. Ever see that South Park episode where Earth just turned out to be one giant television show for other species? We could be a welcome break to the wearys of space exploration for them.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
French Physicist Jacques Vallee came to the same conclusion in the 1960s. He and another Physicist J Allen Hynek, who worked on the the Air Force's Project Blue Book, concluded that the UFO phenomena was not extraterrestrial but something else entirely.

[edit on 3/8/07 by MikeboydUS]

If its not of this earth, it has to be extraterrestrial(i.e not of this earth). What was his definition of extraterrestrial?

[edit on 8/3/2007 by andy1033]

They defined extraterrestrial in an interstellar sense: from another planet.
They did not think the UFO and Abduction phenomena originated from an interstellar civilization but something else. They thought it might be interdimensional and most of the phenomena the product of just one race, civilization, or entity. The rest of the phenomena was thought to be manmade.

From what Ive investigated scientists who investigate the phenomena objectively have came to similar conclusions. Most of the military's declassfied reports they commissioned also imply the same conclusions.

It is a bizarre phenomena that has far more in common with old folktales and legends of beings like the Faerie and Jinn than any nuts and bolts civilization from another planet. Jacques Vallee devoted an entire book looking at the similarities between the two called " Passport to Magonia".

I think the first step to finding the truth would be an overall objective investigation from the standpoint we have no idea what it is and work from there instead of automatically assuming its from another planet.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomnod
I find it arrogant of the human race to think that this small planet in a small star system, towards the outer edge of one arm of one regular galaxy... should be visited so often by other lifeforms... if you swallow half the stories?

On the other side of the coin:

Wouldn't it be more arrogant to assume that we are alone in the universe? That we are somehow special and unique because we are alone? Look around at humanity and see how self-absorbed, self-centered, and self-righteous we have become.

To think that space is ours to conquer? That no one else is watching and we can just eventually down the road scoop it all up? Isn't that just as arrogant?

Or not. But my mom did make me ride the short bus . . .

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
There may be things up in the sky that we all want to know about. Gees, moves hand towards mouth and bits the knuckles. But right now, I rather sit here on the computer because I know that someone else will come up with something that is claimed it could be an UFO. Gees, accidently bits tongue in the mouth.

Ha, but secretly we all claim that it will be me (the person reading this post) that comes up with proof that is why we must discuss whether there could be intelligent life here in this Galaxy, not that humans are intelligent, not that we think we are the center of the Galaxy, proven not to be, and that we must discuss subject like little kids.

Hey, mister, why are you looking up into the sky?
We have to watch all around us to see what might happen.
The kid kicks my shin bone and runs away.

Hey, I think I found intelligent life, but it is only still here on this Planet.
And that, that may not be acceptable.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
think of it this way, when we find a new species on Earth we dissect them,
observe them and what now. What makes alien races so different?
They are probably studying how we go about living in this world, our thoughts
and how we run our civilization.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
think of it this way, when we find a new species on Earth we dissect them,
observe them and what now. What makes alien races so different?
They are probably studying how we go about living in this world, our thoughts
and how we run our civilization.

Awesome!
So we are their reality television?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Ok. First..I DO believe in alien life forms.

Somewhere. Out there.

NOT visiting us.

Now, I shall digress a bit, dear readers...

Originally posted by Unisol

we have satelites far more advanced then we know,we can detect anything that enters the atmospere before it enters it.
u gonna say we cant send planes they appear and dissapear to fast they travel with light speed...
yea well use the laser satelites?u all have 1000000 out there around a planet....the earth defences
so either we know them and theyr friendly or we have a reason to not attack them.....but watch them scout around
but im sure we know them and we know what they want....atleast our governent do

My Lord. I wanted to correct spelling and grammar, but I left it
"as is".

Unisol, how do you know this ? Any proof ?

No links to off the wall sites.

Proof ?

Ok, Bunch :

Originally posted by Bunch

You kind find many texts from early civilization that point out to extraterrestial visits. From the egyptians to the summerians to the hindus and the Mahabharata to the landscapes that you find in South America, to texts and paintings troughout the Medieval times, and all the stories in modern human history.

These can be INTERPRETED as alien contacts.
There is no proof of this.

If you read all of those in context you can assume

Thank you.

Is no help that modern historians think past historians where a bunch of wackos that did not knew what they were talking about.

Ummm..our "modern" historians have cameras. Both picture and video.
As do our dear readers. And what do we have ?
Some great (very few, sadly) pictures and video.

Now, to the OP.

Explain "arrogant".
We've got to the point we're at, ourselves. (IMO).
Yes, we've achieved great things.

We've also achieved nuclear, chemical and biological
weapons.

I've read bio's of scientists that helped develop the first
nuke.
They weren't proud.
They were scared.

I think man-kind has brought himself to the point we
are at, today.

Hope never ends, but at the end of the day,
the only person we have to blame is in the mirror.

Regards,
Lex

[edit on 3-8-2007 by Lexion]

[edit on 3-8-2007 by Lexion]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Lexion:

When I reply to the OP I was referring to his explicit question on why some of us believe in alien visitation. My reasons to believe in that possibility may be differ from the ones of many, but I dont think I should have to defend them.

In any way I said that what I mention that we should take that as absolute proof, I just cited it as being cause of further analysis and investigation and was what I what trying to convey to the OP.

I will advise you to read the context in which the answers are being presented before making assumptions on what people are trying to say.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I think that the grays (if you're refering to them) are probably interested more in the Human species as a specimen. They examine us to find out about us and our dimensions intelligent life, because imho The grays are more likely to be extra-dimensional beings instead of extraterrestrial

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Whatever they want, their intentions are inscrutable, so we might as well accept the fact that we may never, ever, ever know what they want or why they come.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
OP you know nothing about the history of other life forms in the universe... or do I, or most anyone else...

Therefore... ANYTHING is possible. perhaps we are entertainment? or perhaps they put us here in the first place and are checking in from time to time to see how we are progressing? WHO KNOWS!?

but people see what they see...

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Saying that i do believe we are not alone just we arent interesting enough to make the effort.

Well, I never thought that humans were interesting anyway (a joke before someone wants to jump on me). First it would be the Sun that is interesting, and with better technology, planets found orbiting this star of ours, and then rating this System as whether it may have life, and then if any life is found: (after the technology comes along to even get from there to here)

What are we?
How dangerous are we?
How advanced are we?
How are we?

And all the other questions that arise once priorities have been established by the other species that include in the end finding out.

A species out in Space may go to another star that can not bear any life, but then, perhaps also there are stars that may have life.

There would be common issues concerning all the life that may exist in this Galaxy.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Why? If there were that many lifeforms visiting this little place in the middle of nowhere, then statistically the universe would have to be positively teeming with life - and we'd really have noticed.

Think about this for a second. Why do certain people travel half way around the earth, hike to the middle of no where, to study gorillas, bugs, tigers, elephants, etc, etc, etc.... You see them on the television and think they are freaking crazy. But that doesn't change the fact that people do it. So one could reasonably say that you would have to be arrogant to think other life forms (no matter how advanced they may seem) might not have the same interest in us.

Just a thought

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Originally posted by tomnod
you coulod be right though, maybes if they are here and we were looking at little "dangerous ", they decided to feed us religeon to slow us down a few thousand years.

I dont think a Type 2 Civ would feed us religion if it thought we were dangerous. Feed us bio and chemical weapons, maybe an interstellar version of Raid, but not religion. I think religious phenomena is something else entirely.

Maybe religion is an interstellar form of RAID.
1) make the insect not reproduce outside their faith
2) make the insect kill each other over trite differences
3) busy the insect with trivial madness, weeding out the week

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join