It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Arrogance?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I find it arrogant of the human race to think that this small planet in a small star system, towards the outer edge of one arm of one regular galaxy... should be visited so often by other lifeforms... if you swallow half the stories?

Why? If there were that many lifeforms visiting this little place in the middle of nowhere, then statistically the universe would have to be positively teeming with life - and we'd really have noticed.

Saying that i do believe we are not alone just we arent interesting enough to make the effort.

Comments?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
What if their all organized in some kind of federation and are checking us out to see if we're fit to join, for trade and what-not.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
French Physicist Jacques Vallee came to the same conclusion in the 1960s. He and another Physicist J Allen Hynek, who worked on the the Air Force's Project Blue Book, concluded that the UFO phenomena was not extraterrestrial but something else entirely.

[edit on 3/8/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
yes i believe there is such an organizacion,after all all those galaxies are probably full of all kinds of alien life forms,hostile,neutral,traders kinda like in starcraft and farscape^^ but i dont know whay are they interested in our planet...maybe resources?or we being the only advanced nation in our sun system?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   
cant be resources, im sure every planet, rock, whatever is brimming with resources, and its not as if we see them shipping stuff around daily.

Are we really that different we need to be observed?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I might add that physical extraterrestrials who would have the technology and energy to perform interstellar travel would be Class 2 civilizations on the Kardashev scale. Most humans have no idea what kind of power that implies. What it doesnt imply is anything like human science fiction and space opera alien races. Were talking about a civilization that doesnt need a single thing from earth, not DNA, not water, and definitely not our gold. This implies that the UFO phenomena is something else and not an Interstellar civilization.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
well yea your right...i dont think they want our resources,and dont want us to be slaves and gather resources for them,they probably have tech to gather resources much faster

i guess either theyr from an order that wants to help us or sometin
or are hostile and just wanna kill us fo "insert sick reason"

and no one asks why every time we dont shoot the ufos down?
we have satelites far more advanced then we know,we can detect anything that enters the atmospere before it enters it.
u gonna say we cant send planes they appear and dissapear to fast they travel with light speed...
yea well use the laser satelites?u all have 1000000 out there around a planet....the earth defences
so either we know them and theyr friendly or we have a reason to not attack them.....but watch them scout around
but im sure we know them and we know what they want....atleast our governent do

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
What it doesnt imply is anything like human science fiction and space opera alien races. Were talking about a civilization that doesnt need a single thing from earth, not DNA, not water, and definitely not our gold. This implies that the UFO phenomena is something else and not an Interstellar civilization.

No. It does not imply that about UFOs at all.

You're assuming that you know how aliens might think and what they value as being important. So what if they can harness the energy of a solar system?

Perhaps, aliens might find us interesting to observe and study. For all the energy of their sun that they can harness, perhaps they still can't create life, that is as diverse as what we have on Earth.

In my opinion, if there is other older, intelligent, alien life in the galaxy, then they would visit us out of curiosity. Sure, they would know we are here. Perhaps, millions of years ago, they would have studied the spectra from our Sun and knew that there was life on Earth. Our isoltation does not imply that we can not be found, especially by any Type 2 civilisation that wants to have a look.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I think we could easily be found by any type 2 civilization. If there are any Type 2 Civs out there they would know were here just like I know about the fireant mound in my yard. I dont think they would have much to do with us, unless they perceive us a Threat/Potential Pest or make the quivalent of honey which they would just take and farm us like we farm bees.

My personal opinon is that we dont make honey and we are a potential threat to all life in the galaxy. I think were being watched but I dont think thats what the UFO or Abduction phenomena is part of.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomnod
If there were that many lifeforms visiting this little place in the middle of nowhere, then statistically the universe would have to be positively teeming with life - and we'd really have noticed.

Saying that i do believe we are not alone just we arent interesting enough to make the effort.
Comments?

Speculation not fact
erhaps we think we are important enough to be visited. IMHO - I don't believe we are the only OTHER planet/rock with life on it. Back to speculation: Perhaps other planets have "intergalactic" trade routes etc. Perhaps they are observing what we do with this little rock before they decide that we could possibly aid them in whatever their "business" is. Perhaps 100 visits a year (NOT fact) from them is really nothing at all and other planets operate like Heathrow, JFK etc etc. We just happen to exist in the same universe. PERHAPS we are like going to the zoo?! When they have nothing better to do or finish what they are doing early then they pass here and check us out. They don't make it known or land in the back yard to come poke us because it would be likened to us climbing into a lions enclose and walking up to a male and poking him with a stick. They know better than that, as do, well most of us, know better than to do that when visiting a zoo. They know they will possibly letting themselves in for a prodding.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
that throwed me in lmaos^^
like some alien father and son thravel with theyr spaceship(family car)back from school and they past by and the father says "look at the pathetic humans that still cant colonize mars...hahahahahahhahaha(peter griffin laughter)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
you coulod be right though, maybes if they are here and we were looking at little "dangerous ", they decided to feed us religeon to slow us down a few thousand years.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   

you coulod be right though, maybes if they are here and we were looking at little "dangerous ", they decided to feed us religeon to slow us down a few thousand years.

I dont think a Type 2 Civ would feed us religion if it thought we were dangerous. Feed us bio and chemical weapons, maybe an interstellar version of Raid, but not religion. I think religious phenomena is something else entirely.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unisol
that throwed me in lmaos^^
like some alien father and son thravel with theyr spaceship(family car)back from school and they past by and the father says "look at the pathetic humans that still cant colonize mars...hahahahahahhahaha(peter griffin laughter)

LMAO, that's the idea. I mean, whether we believe in their existence or not, I don't think we should be naive enough to believe that we are ready to accommodate other beings here on this rock. If they were after something crucial to their existence and they have been visiting here for hundreds of thousands of years, they would have mined it trill it didn't exist and we wouldn't have known it existed lol AND there would be much proof of those mining operations.

So, i doubt very much if we have much, if anything, of what they really need.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I dont think a Type 2 Civ would feed us religion if it thought we were dangerous. Feed us bio and chemical weapons, maybe an interstellar version of Raid, but not religion. I think religious phenomena is something else entirely.

We are no threat to anyone but ourselves.

It really boggles the mind there are so many ifs and so much speculation, I'm truly starting to believe that if we want to explore and interact with supposed advanced beings out there, we need to focus on more terrestrial issues, to prove our worth amongst the galactic community.

Keep it in perspective, we are a very young species, our lifetimes are irrelevant - that said it shouldn't stop you being the best you can be. There is more to life than what you can see, hear, touch, smell and sense.

oss

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   

French Physicist Jacques Vallee came to the same conclusion in the 1960s. He and another Physicist J Allen Hynek, who worked on the the Air Force's Project Blue Book, concluded that the UFO phenomena was not extraterrestrial but something else entirely.

[edit on 3/8/07 by MikeboydUS]

If its not of this earth, it has to be extraterrestrial(i.e not of this earth). What was his definition of extraterrestrial?

Why? If there were that many lifeforms visiting this little place in the middle of nowhere, then statistically the universe would have to be positively teeming with life - and we'd really have noticed.

Why would we have noticed, we never go into space. We are stuck here doing what we do, we never venture into space, accept for a few choosen few.

[edit on 8/3/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
just to be contrary

by what metric are you adjudging the level of alledget ET visitation to by " high "

the actual level of visitation experienced by TERRA is hotly debated

how you can validly compare it as " higher than......." baffles me - you have no benchmark

also as pointed out , you are making unevidended presumptions of motive

you ask why do so many ETs visit terra - when you have no idea just how many do visit or why or most critically - whhat the visitation levels for other planets is and what the population density of the universe is

an ignorant alien might specullate why so many humans visit disney resorts - or any other such popular destination

what was the question again ?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
ignorant_ape - are you rambling?

I didn't get any point LOL. I am not sure who you were addressing BUT based on your last line

what was the question again
i assumed (hate doing that) it was partly/wholly aimed at me.

The posts i made were very much tongue in cheek and based on nothing at all except that we believe they have visited earth and still do. But my posts were really based on "imagination" and speculation and using a "just think if..."

I was speculating and throwing something "out there" not in any way or form a motivation for the factual why's and what's and how's and the whys, hows and whats - different in meaning - but this simply for another angle, humorous in intention. We don't really have the facts about the whys, why's, hows, how's, whats and what's at all.

Now i hope i wasn't rambling - but you get the point

Edit to add:

how you can validly compare it as " higher than......." baffles me - you have no benchmark

I saw no valid comparison to anything. Perhaps you misinterpreted the post(s)?

[edit on 3/8/2007 by shearder]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bassistchris
What if their all organized in some kind of federation and are checking us out to see if we're fit to join, for trade and what-not.

too much star trek for you i thinks

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The other line in Human Arrogance is the intellectual/scientifc/technological one.

I suggest that if a way to circumvent the speed of light restriction is possible, it has already been found by someone in our galaxy. (I haven't the faintest idea how this might be done and I fully agree that our own experimental data appear to accurately confirm the existence of this limitation.) If it has been discovered by one, we certainly would expect it to be used; if no other planet's inhabitants independently discovered the means, it makes little difference for such a thing could be taught by the discoverer. Thus we may conclude that it is very likely that at least one, and probably many of the 100 million advanced planetary populations is capable of interstellar travel.

Above excerpt taken from: 1968 RAND corporation paper called "UFOs: What To Do?"

Every time anyone mentions the subject someone rolls out the old 'they can't get here from there' BS. Some scientists appear to be under the distinct impression that no other species could possible be any more intelligent or technologically advanced than we are, and that they would have to use good old fashioned rocket power to do their traveling. Why, when we can speculate about our own future advances in exotic propulsion, wouldn't ayone else have considered the same

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join