It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rochester NY, CRAZY UFO's all over the sky

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
According to the article posted by 'CthuluRising' this wasn't attributed to weather phenomenon?...is the source credible?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Wow never thought I would get this many replies. And now for my reply 

Springer :yea my family is more then willing to say/type/write what they saw, as for pictures me and my girlfriend are going to be ‘camping’ out back if you will with a few cameras still and video(with nightshot) and a telescope for good measure. The reason no one went inside was, we didn’t want to miss anything/were having our minds blown

CthulhuRising: That definitely looks/sounds like what we saw and it was only a few days ago I wonder if it’s the same thing/people??

The_Coo: I don’t think this was a balloon or lantern or anything like that, but who am I to judge right, hopefully tonight ill get some good video/pic’s

Adjay: dark knights thread is intrusting and kind of scary

Shrunkensimon: It was my first thought “must go get family…no one will ever believe me if I don’t” then later we were like hmmm should have gotten the vid.

Titian: are you in Rochester? There was a forecast for storms last night but like you said nothing ever came of it.

Miheavner: I would say around 11ish, and if you know where the penfield wegmans is, they were in the direct northern sky(looking straight up) and slowly moved to the eastern sky

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Flagged! Now we wait for the OP to come back with his sister and mother and do a podacast so we can hear all of them together. That would validate the story a little more for me.

On a side note, when I saw my UFO I freaked for a second about not have a good camera (only had my crappy cam phone) then I just decided to sit back a watch because I realized that it may never happen again.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by kleverone]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
As many of these as I've read it's almost second nature to know which are hoaxes and quite quickly too.

IMO the OP is quite genuine in what he is reporting. He's making no specific claims as to what the "lights" actually were and I think he is just so overwhelmed and excited that it really brings some good drama to an otherwise useless thread.

We are getting so used to demanding pictures or video here that we tend to assume that everyone has a video camera strapped to them at all times.

Many people when elevated to this level of excitement often completely forget about getting the picture or are afraid to run for a camera fearing the amazing display will be gone.

This kid saw something and I for one applaud his excitement and willingness to share.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
penroc3 - I wasn't outside until around 12. I live south of Penfield and the flashes would have been north / north-east, though they seemed to light up much of the sky and not really have any direction. My backyard is covered with quite a few trees so I didn't have a full clear view of the sky.

We had left the TV on inside and I had said to my friend, 'oh, it's probably just flashes from that'. Thinking back, though, the flashes lit up the sky, not something a tv would do through some windows, and I believe HGTV was left on, so it had no content that would produce quick flashes of light. His opinion was that it was heat lighting and eventually we just settled on that and I think that it just went away or we forgot about it in the middle of a conversation.

Figures, could have been something and I don't think twice to even get out of the pool and have a better look....

jbondo - I think that fact that I "saw something" along with the OP validates that "there was something" (add to that the article posted earlier) The fact that we quickly attributed it to something natural means that...well, it probably was. Of course the OP seemingly saw much more that I did.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by miheavner]

[edit on 3-8-2007 by miheavner]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
Personally, I'm hoping the sightings do increase in the U.S. It seems that Britian has had it's fair share as of late. [edit on 3-8-2007 by tyranny22]

Actually it hasnt had any 'fair share of sightings' at all. Nothing out of the ordinary that hasnt been explainable

[edit on 3/8/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hi Penroc3,

Just a quick questions the ufo's that you saw were they a bright orange/maybe yellew tinge in color?

-Tash

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Hi Penroc, good post.

I for one have no reason to question what you have reported, you have made no wild claims and have reported exactly what you experienced.

Keep looking skyward, I look forward to any additional input from you.

On a sidenote, I too saw something I could not explain, although it wasn't very spectacular.

Around 4 weeks ago, viewing from West London (approx. 2 miles directly north of Heathrow Airport), looking SSE, I observed what I believed to be a plane heading directly toward my location. A bright yellowish light with a slight elongation to the vertical, no lights could be seen where I assumed the wings should have been, these could have been unobservable due to the intensity of the light. The light appeared to flicker, the same way a star might, I observed it for about a minute, and in that time it did not move. It dimmed to a point that it left an image of itself on my retina for a few seconds, after that nothing. In the time that I observed it, there was no vertical or horizontal movement, and a very rough approximation would put it 10 to 15 miles away and would say it was between 20 to 25 degrees vertically off the horizon.

I ruled out lanterns, baloons, blimps, flares and conventional aircraft.

This is my first sighting.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I also saw a "light" in the sky.

Headed to work about 3 weeks ago going east in Northbrook, IL. The sky was brilliant blue with the sun facing me.

I looked slightly to the northeast and saw a a light just appear at the 10:00 position. It grew in intensity and size until it was very bright. It then just blinked out.

What amazed me was that it was visible at all fighting the sunrise in a cloudless eastern sky.

I didn't post it because, well, if I had I just don't think there would have been enough interest. The reason I am posting it now is because of the OP's story.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
kleverone what would you like to be on the pod cast? we can just tell our stories and if there is anything else you would like to know please post it or U2U me. i also dont know how to post a podcast, i know how to record a conversation on to a comp. is there any special softwear i need?

jbondo thanks for not thinking this was a hoax, i cant wait for tonight my girlfriend is kinda spooked, if i get this on video i will be so excited.

kurupt915 no they were blue(the stars) and some of the other aircraft were blue with white/red strobes a a very very fast flash

it sure is intresting hearing how our sightings are pretty alike. and please if any one has any pod cast requests let me know, my family is deffinitly willling to do it.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

There was allot of random flashes in the sky and no clouds at the time., and no thunder at all. The flashes took on a purple hue. We were all standing out side watching these things move across the sky with huge flashes going off (it looked like lightning but with out the lightning bolt)

Hate to say it, but sounds like more Yankees who've never seen "heat lightning". We see it so much in the south (almost daily in FL), that it's a no-brainer, but rarer for you folks up north...

Lightning with no clouds, thunder, etc., it's "heat lightning". I'll dig up a link for you somewhere....

en.wikipedia.org...
amsglossary.allenpress.com... (explains the absence of clouds and some common myths, etc.)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Hate to say it, but sounds like more Yankees who've never seen "heat lightning". We see it so much in the south (almost daily in FL), that it's a no-brainer, but rarer for you folks up north...

Lightning with no clouds, thunder, etc., it's "heat lightning". I'll dig up a link for you somewhere....

en.wikipedia.org...
amsglossary.allenpress.com... (explains the absence of clouds and some common myths, etc.)

That added to some early meteorites from the Perseids ???

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Calm down people, did'nt you hear about the recent sightings in the UK over the pub? Well it turned out they where japanese lantirns, and its more than possible they have now drifted across the atlantic and are now on the Eastern seaboard.

Remain calm & everything will be alright.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Your absolutely right, your always absolutely right and can combine any number of natural instances to suit your argument. Well done.

Originally posted by Chorlton

en.wikipedia.org...

That added to some early meteorites from the Perseids ???

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'd say the combination of factors is likely right on target...

Perseids
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Perseids (PURR-see-idz) are a prolific meteor shower[1] associated with the comet Swift-Tuttle. The Perseids are called so because the point they appear to be coming from, called the radiant, is in the constellation of Perseus. However, they can be spotted all around the sky. Because of the positioning of Swift-Tuttle's orbit, Perseids are mostly visible on the northern hemisphere.

The shower is visible from mid-July each year, but the bulk of its activity falls between August 8 and 14 with a peak on August 12. During the peak, rates of a hundred or more meteors per hour can be registered.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

Around 4 weeks ago, viewing from West London (approx. 2 miles directly north of Heathrow Airport), looking SSE, I observed what I believed to be a plane heading directly toward my location. A bright yellowish light with a slight elongation to the vertical, no lights could be seen where I assumed the wings should have been, these could have been unobservable due to the intensity of the light. The light appeared to flicker, the same way a star might, I observed it for about a minute, and in that time it did not move. It dimmed to a point that it left an image of itself on my retina for a few seconds, after that nothing. In the time that I observed it, there was no vertical or horizontal movement, and a very rough approximation would put it 10 to 15 miles away and would say it was between 20 to 25 degrees vertically off the horizon.

This is my first sighting.

I'm not sure you can rule out a conventional aircraft. It sounds just like a landing light to me.

What reference did you use to estimate the distance?

[edit on 3-8-2007 by disownedsky]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

There are always clouds and thunder involved with heat lightning, but you can't hear the thunder because you are in a "dead spot" and quite distant. You'll never see heat lightning anywhere but on the far horizon.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by disownedsky]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I remember the first time I saw heat lightning over the everglades when I lived in South Florida. I was like, what the F is that!?!

Although I read something somewhere that it's not actually heat lightning but some variant.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I just want to say I am from upstate NY (Dutchess County). I went to six flags Great Adventure in N.J. on AUg. 2nd and got home around 10p.m. eastern. It was a crystal clear night and I will confirm the above posters statement of air force aircraft flying very high and fast that night. I am a avid watcher of the night skies and the activity of jets this night had me wondering what the hell was going on. How do I know they are military jets, well number 1 they were moving much faster than civilian/comm. aircraft. Number 2 you can see the after burners with binoculars at night. #3 the lighting is different than commercial planes. I did not see any UFO's but a remarkable amount of military aircraft for a thursday night above the normally quiet skies of upstate NY.

P.S. looking foward to the peek of the meteor shower coming up this week.

edit: I did not recall any heat lighting that night, and I am very familiar with it even though I don't live in the south.....

[edit on 3-8-2007 by Starwatcher]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

There area always clouds and thunder involved with heat lightning, but you can't hear the thunder because you are in a "dead spot" and quite distant. You'll never see heat lightning anywhere but on the far horizon

My point is that you can see it when you don't see apparent clouds in the sky (or at least you can in FL), especially in the early evening (before dark, but around sunset), as you're really seeing it from the horizon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join