It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't throw punches in dreams

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unisol
this is so strange.....every time i dream i punch someone i just punch and punch and have this feeling like i cant hit im hard enough liek im hitting very soft and weak

i was about to post the exact same thing

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I used to have them all the time, especially when I was yourger, which inspired me to do a school project on dreams......to make a long story short, dreams are symbolic of your emotions and feelings subconsciencely. WHen you feel you can't hit or punch in a dream, it is most likely because there is a situation in your life that you are unable to control, or you feel you could lose control of. Think about it....

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Dreams are symbolic to some extent yeah, but they are also filled with a lot of excess dialogue and action. Once somebody learns how to throw a hard punch in a dream or move fast it sort of sticks with them. They are then able to do these things regardless of their mood or confidence, because they know it can be done.

Dreams are symbolic this has been researched (at least once i guess) yeah, but it's not the complete answer. I really don't buy into the websites that claim to know what every little thing in a dream symbolizes. Every mind is different and every meaning and subjectivity is different for each of us.

For example, dream interpreter claims that me seeing a horse in my dream means that I am happy at the moment. However, I actually have a phobia for horses. What trumps what? Some collection of interpretations, or what my own subjective mind attaches to the perception, the image of a horse?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
WOW!

i definitely did not expect so many responses from people with similar dreams!

excellent and very interesting!

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
That's so funny, about 1 1/2 years ago, I would have these dreams where I would get into fights, and I would end up actually punching things while sleeping.

I would wake up the instant it would happen, probably because of the shock of the impact. My girlfriend noticed also, and after a few incidents she was actually worried that I would end up getting her too.

If I remember correctly, I punched my headboard about 3 times, twice against the wall, I broke one of my lamps and, yes, I even ended up clocking my girlfriend on her melon, which I felt terrible about, by the way... :bash:

I can't quite remember when it stopped happening, but I could never figure out why it would happen...

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmokatt7

I notice something similar... I can't take advantage of women in my dreams... even in lucid dreams...Haw!:shk:

Wow, I thought I was the only one.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I used to have dreams like that when i was a teenager and an adolescent like from 8 years old onward. I don't know when they stopped exactly, just that they did stop, and I dont get them anymore. I cant remember if i actually punched the person in the last dream of that nature I had, I dont remember many of my dreams anymore. Or just small bits.

But the punching thing is right on. It feels like I was underwater, punching in a swimming pool, or even worse, maybe submerged in molasses. I'd stand there in my dream and just wail on said individual repeatedly, over and over with both hands, straining so hard in my dream to just land a damn punch. Sometimes they'd land, but so soft that it was like barely touching a person. I would get so frustrated!

The weird thing is, everyone says they have this type of dream. So it must mean something, and its a good place to start analyzing humans while theyre dreaming, the more .. spiritual side of it. The fact that you cannot directly inflict malicious harm with your fists like punching may suggest that all humans are a bit 'disarmed' when dreaming, and maybe, just maybe, thats because in the "other" world (some call astral plane, some call heaven, some call it the timeless dimension, that place) we have not been given the power of violence by our creator. It just isn't allowed of us in that realm. It would make sense, because if it were not, and Hell actually exists, the inhabitants would try to 'break out'. But if we are disarmed in that realm, we cannot escape. Likewise, in a place like Heaven, we'd never, ever have a need to do such a thing.

Is this the beginning of some sort of proof that there is similarity in human souls?

[edit on 8/23/2007 by runetang]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
WOW.

Im glad it wasnt just me. Everyones getting it so i wont explain mine youve all said it. lol

It may relate to the struggling in life of whatever issues we are dealing with? even issues with ourselves. So next time you have one, examine areas of your life, the most predominant issues in your mind, maybe when it comes to reading and knowledge? we take so much in and often feel we are still getting nowhere... (running but cant move) or not being 'heard' even? (punch) trying to hit out.. i duno its a shot into nowhere you can expand on.

Maybe the sleep paralysis thing mentioned earlier is the cause.. I used to get that too.

Isnt it already explained by someone like Freud or whoever was the dream boffin? il look it up soon.

[edit on 25-8-2007 by Sekhemet]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by The Phantom

I used to have the same type of dreams too. I'd be all fired up and I'd rip open that can-a-whoopass like a champion! And then I'd like... freeze, and be unable to do anything but stand there looking like a retard. haha. Those dreams suck!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
A lot of times I end up crawling, grabbing the ground with my hands to get a hold to pull myself forward.

I've had dreams like this myself, except crawling is not exactly the right word. It's more like running on all fours with my arms adding to my speed and traction.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
The fact that you cannot directly inflict malicious harm with your fists like punching may suggest that all humans are a bit 'disarmed' when dreaming, and maybe, just maybe, thats because in the "other" world (some call astral plane, some call heaven, some call it the timeless dimension, that place) we have not been given the power of violence by our creator. It just isn't allowed of us in that realm.

Well, I proved this wrong to myself the other night, so I know this is false. Well, it could be true, but our 'dream world' clearly isn't heaven or the astral plane.

I had this self evolving theory that we are able to communicate with each other in dreams if both people will it. Like lets say you had a dream that you met some rock star. Well in this theory, that rock star would have had the same dream @ the same time of some weird stranger. And lets face it, many people in our dreams we do not recognize in the slightest bit, at least physically.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Wow, that is an accomplishment...seriously if I try to run or fight an attacker off
in my dream I feel like I have weights all over me...I wish I could do that...

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Sometimes I either can't attack an attacker, or I can't run. It feels like I can't get into a stride. Very unnerving. Running from a tornado and you just can't get into a stride. Being in a fight and you can't contract your arms and explode, wierd..

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Ooh I have dreams like this all the time. Like you said, it feels like the air's molasses and I'm trying to punch, but it never gets there, like my arm is dead or something. And I always wake up and think that I'm unable to punch anyone, so I'll start punching the air.
You're not the only one.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Yea it appears I am not the only one.. This thread has gotten a lot more posts from people sharing similar experiences then i expected

very strange indeed..

MM, i know you're pretty good with dreams, right? do you have anything you might want to add?

JbT

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I used to get these types of dreams when I was younger. As each situation came to me in real life, I could then use full control in my dreams.

In other words. When I was in elementary school I was doing Karate, doing the kata's and kumites in small little tounaments and such. Even then I would still have dreams of "punching through 3 feet of molasses". Haha, love that.

When I was a little older, I moved from a small town to a city(Ottawa). I went to a large middle school where, well, it was a lot more voilent than the little town school of my past (ethnic grouping, social status grouping - like the movies kind of, not what I was used to at all). I got in many fights when I was there, nothing real brutal, you know, school yard scraps or block-wide street hockey rumbles, little blood under the lips and muddy clothes, thats about all. The real point is, that I was landing real life punches on real life people, in real fights.

After that. I could always and to this day punch full strenght in dreams. Some times, haha, in my super hero/matrix dreams of course I might be able to punch through steel, hahaha.

Same with other things that I would have the same dream block on. Like say, a snowboarding/skateboarding trick when I was younger. Rock climbing and falling from some easy grip, ect, ect.

But hell, Ive had a skydiving dream, and never done it in real life... The cord wouldnt work and I woke up in a panic, haha. Or when you have the being-chased dream/nightmare, had one of those.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by JbT]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JbT

wow you bring up a real interesting point..

..come to think of it.. i have never been in a fight in my life..

i wonder if thats why i can't do it in dreams?

then again, people claim to be able to do things in their dreams like.. fly and "punch through steel"

hmm

P.S.
is that medivh in your avatar?

[edit on 2-10-2007 by The Phantom]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Throw punches in real life.

But seriously... I've read that it means you're lacking confidence in everyday hurdles. Whether it be work, school, relationships, etc. I don't know how much you can take away from a dreamers dictionary from the 90's though.

Get your hustle up.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
Throw punches in real life.
I've yet to find myself in a situation where throwing punches is necessary..

But seriously... I've read that it means you're lacking confidence in everyday hurdles. Whether it be work, school, relationships, etc. I don't know how much you can take away from a dreamers dictionary from the 90's though.
this sounds like a pretty good explanation.. a lot of stuff has been goin' on lately and it's real hectic, i think a lot of it IS reflected in my dreams

but i been havin these dreams for a long time, i don't know if that explanation is completely accurate, but it sounds good

Get your hustle up.
workin' on it......

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'll join the side of the slow punchers. I've had lots of dreams where I find I can't move my arms with much speed. Sometimes I even think to myself "This is just a dream, punch faster" but it never seems to help. I guess it's related to the fact that your arms are locked by your brain so you don't punch your wife in the head while you dream.

The other frustrating thing I dream about is having an ability to fly, but not enough power to soar. I'll run and jump and nearly fly into the top of a tree. I always seem to be able to clear objects, but it's usually with great effort. It's hard to explain, but it's sort of like you're trying to will yourself to fly higher. It takes great mental effort and concentration to get the altitude needed.

Dreams can be so odd.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join