It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is anyone else annoyed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
When you come on to the site, you click to got to the abovetopsecret part of the site, then you click to go to the login page, and everything is hunkydoory. However, as soon as you click in the little space where your username goes a popup advert comes up, eeeeeevery single time. Just wondered why not just have it come up when you come on the site.. Is there any significance for it coming up when you click to type in your username..

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Havent seen it, i just put myats in my favorites folder, when i click on that i come to the myats, never have to log in unless i clear my cookies, and i dont think ive had a pop up ad at all on here for a while.

is it from the site home or board home.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
well the only thing that pops up on me is my user name and password?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
is it from the site home or board home.

basically i go to www.abovetopsecret.com/forum

then click on the 'log in' button on the right of the menu

so im at the screen where you put your username/password etc

as soon as i click in the little box to put my username, up pops a pop up..

i guess i could get around it by not having firefox clear my cookies and staying signed in/or having firefox remember my username/password..

just wondered if it was only mine that was doing it..

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I've got the log-in page bookmarked.

Never see a pop-up.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
as soon as i click in the little box to put my username, up pops a pop up..

That's typical of spyware/adware. The only pop-ups we allow are generated at page-load, 1 every 8 hours, for those who aren't logged in. Some of the new spyware apps respond to user actions like you describe.

If you can get a screen shot, source code, or URL of the ad, I can see if it came from one of our providers.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I also get popups when I come on the site to log in... I don't get popups from any other site, so I don't think it's spyware.

Usually the most recent is a screensaver for some kind of ocean storm waterspout or something...

The people who don't see them are likely always logged in and don't clear their cookies/history. It only seems to happen before you get logged in.

I just logged out to try and get one, but it didn't come up... it's only an occasional thing, probably the 1-per-8-hour one SO is talking about. By the looks of it, the one I'm talking about is made by the same people as the "experience lightning and thunder amidst the starry night" banner ad, as well as the other 3D screensaver ads.

Anyway I don't really find it that annoying. Just vouching that these popups do indeed exist.

[edit on 8/2/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
you need better popup blocker - my spyware always tells me when a popup is trying but doesnt allow it unless i click on view.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
double post - sorry

[edit on 8/2/07 by rezial666]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
When i used to get to the log in page firefox would often block a pop up, then when i clicked on my username a seperate one would come up.

BUT..

surprise surprise, there's no longer a pop up firefox blocks when i come to the log in page and also the pop up that comes up when you click in the username box also doesn't come up.

did someone sort it then..

[edit on 3-8-2007 by shaunybaby]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
guis like use opera or firefox that blocks the pop ups k^^?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
The only time that it does it to me is when I try to log in in another page after I click on a link that takes me to a new internet ATS login window. When the new window opens, it has an ad at the top advertising cell phone ring tones. Don't know if that helps any, but just thought I'd pitch it out there...

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
slightly off topic/

if we all love this site, as im sure you do, it wouldnt hurt to just occasionally click on an ad or pop up that is on ats.

just sayin'.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
You guys log on?????

And off?

I'm always logged on- its a waste of time to me to go through the motions.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
No I don't log off and on. It only happens to me when I click a link that opens another window that has timed me out of ATS.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yep, mine does it too - but I use firefox and kill cookies etc when I close ff.

It is annoying, but I think it's partly my fault because of the way I have my browser setting.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I like the popup. It gives me something pretty to look at for a few seconds while I contemplate whether I should purchase it or not. I always decide no and close it, but I always take a moment to watch it for some reason. I think its nice.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I'll mention something else that seems annoying to me. Last night, while I was surfing myATS Favorites, I left to go to a link with everything ok, but when I came back, all of my most recent posts were left-aligned in one column. Talk about one long page, with one huge middle blank space!!

Anyone got anything on what caused that change? I know that I didn't select any changes...

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
well it seems to have stopped now anyways

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Is Anyone Else Annoyed?

i don't move the curser from the 'name' area to the 'password' area
just hit the 'Tab' key.....you'll eliminate a space where an 'Ad' can insert itself and then annoy you.

In Addition:
i'm annoyed with the newer? (or just newly observed)
the [ top-of-page ] Banner Ad Graphic
that has one 'Duck' being strangled or choked by a disembodied hand.
What's up with that ???

P.C. died or something?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join