It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contracts Houldouts in the NFL, who's side are you on?''

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Every year at the start of training camp you hear the same story, such and such guy in holding out or such and such team don't want to pay their players.

I believe if you sign a contract you are bound to that contract. BUT it shoud go both ways, player signs a contract then he has a monster year and he wants more money.

At the other side are the owners and GM's that give a contract to a player and he underperforms on sometimes not even and they are call into the office to restructure the contract or face getting cut ( too few players in the NFL get guaranteed money) sometimes they get cut without this process taking place and they get nothing.

I'm the one that thinks players should get paid especially in the NFL where each day you play OR practice could be your last one.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There are blips though. Brady Quinn went to his home town team, Cleveland. Without a snap he's sitting out. He wants money that people that have played in the league get? Sorry Brady, NO WAY! Play or not. Sit or not. Burger Kind awaits you. Damn these guys are spoiled.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Yea but put yourself in there shoes.
Think about the job you have, do you not try to get the most money you can?
And also these guys worked hard to get there, and usually have to retire in their 30's.
And what if they have a career ending injury?
I dont blame them, they should get every dime they can because they are the ones creating the game and without them you have nothing.

Who would you rather get it, the rookie or someone like Al Davis?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Who would you rather get it, the rookie or someone like Al Davis?

I'm not sure that's a fair question. Al Davis isn't dipping into his own pocket. Ultimately, the fans and corporate sponsors are paying the salaries. The owners are going to get theirs come hell or high water.

There's plenty of money to go around. And there's sufficient greed on both sides, for sure. Most of us lunchbucket types have a difficult time sympathizing with someone turning down a multimillion dollar payday. The agents are negotiating for leverage as much as anything else. They know if Player A gets X then ultimately Player B gets X+.

I hate the whole economic side of sports. It takes away somewhat from the pure competition aspect. I don't care what they make, I just want to see the game, and maybe occasionally be able to take the family to one without blowing the monthly budget.

We're going to reach a point where you won't be able to watch the games at home for free. The Big 10 network is already causing big problems locally. But that's another side to the same story.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The Big 10 network is already causing big problems locally. But that's another side to the same story.

That will deserve a thread of itself, because I believe that what the NCAA, Conferece and Universities have become is an embarrasment. Back in the day it use to be for the athletes and for the sports but what it has become now is a monopoly which take advantage of their athletes that dont get paid ( and dont give me the education thing, most of this guys will never attend to their graduation) while the organizations make billions.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
football is rough. It doesn't have guaranteed contracts really. It doesn't have the checks and balances that other sports do. A draft pick in the NFL understands that. That's why signing bonuses are so big. They have to get what they can then perofrm in such a way to get better cash.

Brady Quinn's situation is interestend b/c he didn't get drafter where projected. He feels like he should have gone highner, and maybe so, but the marked it set on where you are drafted, not what you were projected as. Contracts can always be re-negotiated based on performance. HE just neeeds to get in camp and signed. He's in a good situation too, b/c the Browns haven't had a QB since Kosar, and if he is that good, it shouldn't be an issue. I don't know his financial standing, but I don't see it being bad enough that he has to hold out to get better cash.

Kind of a similar situation with Leinart last year...

[edit on 8/4/2007 by acegotflows]

new topics

top topics

join