It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video game lets players be immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Video game lets players be immigrants

news.yahoo.com

Players try to avoid deportation by keeping a low profile and performing community service. Shoplifting or jumping a subway turnstile loses points. Lose too many, and your character ends up in a federal detention facility.

"ICED!" gamers can become a Mexican high school graduate whose family overstayed its visa, or a Haitian war veteran who faces deportation when he turns to alcohol and crime after returning from Iraq.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
What are they trying to teach here? After reading this article, I'm still not sure what people could get out of this game. It seems like they are lumping illegals with legal immigrants which is unfair IMO. I highly doubt people will be playing this game for its educational value on social issues. Most will be playing the game like it was Grand Theft Auto, seeing how much they can get away with before being deported.

The game itself doesn't bother me. The fact that this is being distributed as an educational tool is amusing to say the least. It will be available for free download within a month.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join