It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masons Invitation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Once again...

Originally posted by xisuthros
There is no "regular" Lodge that invites people to membership. It is taboo. One has to ask for membership "without persuasion", sometimes as often as three times before being accepted as a candidate.

I'll randomly select a Grand Lodge...

Alternately, an Illinois Mason can inform a good man that he knows that should he wish to join, he is welcome to do so under a program called Invitation to Petition. So, if a Master Mason who knows you believes you have the character traits to be a good Mason, he may propose you for membership in a Lodge and have your name balloted upon, and then inform you of this action.

www.ilmason.org...

Hmmm, seems like your "taboo" is a matter of at least some Grand Lodge's policy.

I'll await the time with patience until some of our UGLE members can assist with the further edification regarding invitations in the U.K.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
No Mason, not even a Grandmaster, may make unilateral decisions for a Lodge that co-opt the ballot right of the Brothers of that Lodge. That ballot right extends to membership candidates, or else you are not a Masonic Lodge, though you may call yourself one mistakenly. For this principle to be contradicted is a violation of the sense of Freemasonry as a Brotherhood, and not a Fatherdom. This is the fundamental precept that makes one a Brother Mason.

American Lodges in particular fail the standards of Freemasonry. What of it? By failing the standards they do not redefine the standards. If you would make being a Mason so meaningless that you can grant membership to anyone who reads a newspaper advertisement, go ahead. Other Lodges cannot deny your right to run your Lodge that way, but they can deny you hospitality in theirs. In every part of the world where being a Mason has not been relegated to a glorified drinking buddy, things are not done that way.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

So, if a Master Mason who knows you believes you have the character traits to be a good Mason, he may propose you for membership in a Lodge and have your name balloted upon, and then inform you of this action.

Seriously, am I the only person here who can read?

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Funny...

The same thought crossed my mind... A definitive statement refuted by multiple source, and then a continued exercise in hair splitting.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks..."

Shakespeare Monkeys, not just for killing all the lawyers anymore...

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by xisuthros
American Lodges in particular fail the standards of Freemasonry. What of it? By failing the standards they do not redefine the standards.

So who SETS the standards? The UGLE? What about the issue of inviting one to become a Mason? Did you read the info on Bessels page?

"It is permissible to approach an appropriate individual and ask if they have ever considered joining the Craft. They can also be given the two 'white books' issued by UGLE which deal with the FAQ. Having done so, they should be left in peace to consider the question for some time. If no direct response is received, a further enquiry should be made in the line of a reminder of the previous conversation, but no pressure should be applied or deadlines given.

If the individual gives a positive indication, or says that time and other pressures have prevented proper consideration, a further conversation is appropriate. If the response (then or later) is neutral or negative, no further pressure should be applied.

Retrieving the 'white books' should be part of the second stage exercise and not used as an excuse for a further enquiry."

If you would make being a Mason so meaningless that you can grant membership to anyone who reads a newspaper advertisement, go ahead.

Now you're just being argumentative. No one. NO ONE said that membership would be granted to "anyone who reads a newspaper ad..." etc. Those who are invited are STILL investigated and are STILL voted on by the Lodge and are STILL subject to the established customs and rules of the Order.

Other Lodges cannot deny your right to run your Lodge that way, but they can deny you hospitality in theirs.

Funny, the Grand Lodges that do NOT allow solicitation are still in amity with the Grand Lodges that do.

In every part of the world where being a Mason has not been relegated to a glorified drinking buddy, things are not done that way.

I've been an incredibly active Mason for more years than I care to mention, and have taken darn-near every Masonic degree, side-degree and so-called "fun" degree there is and have NEVER once have I considered my Brothers to be "glorified drinking buddies" Indeed my Grand Lodge does not even PERMIT drinking.

Oh, and on a side note, my home-state Grand Lodge does not permit solicitation and I've never solicited a member.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by Appak]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dredz
a member of the finest fraternity, and group of men I have ever met.
Dredz

So 2 days ago I spoke to a man in a parking lot about his masonic and shriner(33degree) symbols on the back of his vehicle and those were the exact words he used to describe them. I see this as kind of weird, like something similar, but EXACT is very weird. Are you that man!!!!! did you talk to me a few days ago out side the liquor store and 7/11 parking lot!?

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Does anyone know where I can get an avatar of an powerful Eagle stomping the crap out of another Eagle into the ground? You know, like St. Michael did to Satan?

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
wait a sec, no drinking
I'll have to rethink wanting to join.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
the masons are not cool joining a lodge is like joining a passive nazi party house not all masons are bad but their backbones strive on deceit and villiany so look at it like that just because a few lodges dont act like other lodges doesn't make it any good unless they are a lodge that plan splinter celling then yes join......

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestatue
the masons are not cool joining a lodge is like joining a passive nazi party house not all masons are bad but their backbones strive on deceit and villiany so look at it like that just because a few lodges dont act like other lodges doesn't make it any good unless they are a lodge that plan splinter celling then yes join......

How you do figure that Freemasonry is like Nazism, dude?

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Ignore that guy he claims to be a reincarnated angel and was (we thought) laughed off the boards.He says his name is Ziba.Joining the masons is just like joining the Nazis, except Hitler KILLED the masons,oh wait nothing like it at all, next time you post get your head out of your posterior.Why don't you go spread your wings and fly away from these boards,troll.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by parry noid

Originally posted by dredz
a member of the finest fraternity, and group of men I have ever met.
Dredz

So 2 days ago I spoke to a man in a parking lot about his masonic and shriner(33degree) symbols on the back of his vehicle and those were the exact words he used to describe them. I see this as kind of weird, like something similar, but EXACT is very weird. Are you that man!!!!! did you talk to me a few days ago out side the liquor store and 7/11 parking lot!?

Hey Parry Noid, nope that wasnt me..

Dredz

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by brotherforchrist

the illuminati have killed their fair share of people as well just to remind you and i am not reincarnated i am simply an angel in human form

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thestatue
the illuminati have killed their fair share of people as well just to remind you and i am not reincarnated i am simply an angel in human form

Then why don't you understand basic grammar and punctuation?

I'll give you an example for future reference (and to add *some* credibility to your posts)

You SHOULD have typed:

The Illuminati have killed their fair share of people as well.

[Oh, and] just to remind you, I am NOT reincarnated, I am simply an angel--in human form.

Seriously, thestatue....had you typed it like that...I would have jumped right in there and believed you!

But...as it is...well.....

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MiniYoda

to the best of my knowledge its against masonic tradition to recruit or request someone joins, its up to the individual who wants to join to ask a mson but i could be wrong but then again a mason told me this

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mindash
to the best of my knowledge its against masonic tradition to recruit or request someone joins, its up to the individual who wants to join to ask a mson but i could be wrong but then again a mason told me this

Typically this is true in the U.S., but as you said...it's "tradition." It's never been a "set-in-stone" rule per se. And some Grand Lodges have made it permissible to petition membership.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
To the OP:
A great book on the subject is "Freemasonry for Dummies" (not implying you're a dummy - it's a series of books on various subjects) by Christopher Hodapp. Your dad might want to read it before he joins a lodge, it has a lot of information.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Appak

its sad to see how far away from the foundation of tradition things have come in the area of such matters

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mindash
reply to post by Appak

its sad to see how far away from the foundation of tradition things have come in the area of such matters

mindash,

I have to agree. Personally I still never invite anyone. Throughout the years I've had numerous friends who saw how active and interested in Freemasonry that I have been and have asked ME for information and some have asked to join. When that is the case I gladly talk to them about it and if they're still interested (and I can do so in good faith) I recommend them.

Sadly, it's become a "quantity" issue in many areas.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
thats exactly what ive been seeing the past few years myself and what somewhat hinders me from being completely interested in the brotherhood. i have a strong interest in symbology as well as putting it to practical use first and foremost to better myself wich in turn helps allow me to better the world around me for lack of a better explination and from what i gather it seems that freemasonry is very tied to this concept but as i said seeing all of those whom are already a part of it that i know and seeing the kind of people they are i have to question if this is something i truely want to be a part of. as well as being very financially set i dont have quite the funds one must have to join wich is also a hinderence and looking at how elaborate the local masonic temple is i cant help but wonder why money plays such a signifigant role these days, i understand it more than likely goes to charities but it shouldnt be a factor in my opinion as far as elegibility for membership goes, i figure that if one is in a financial bind wouldnt it be best to join such a thing so that one might be able to rise above their own current status? heh well im ranting at this point and looseing some of my organizational writeing skills so i appologize if anything said either is offensive or doesnt make much sense but i think you get the general idea

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join