It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pills not the answer to obesity, says top doctor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Pills not the answer to obesity, says top doctor

www.thisislondon.co.uk

Obese people are often simply greedy and should not always be treated with pills, the head of the British Medical Association has said.

Dr Hamish Meldrum believes an obsession with medical labels may be stopping overweight people addressing their own problems.

He said the obesity epidemic is being mistakenly targeted with medical treatments and doctors' appointments.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
A startling move against the current trend in medicine to label every condition as a "disease" vice assigning responsibility to the person themselves. While some obesity can be the result of endocrine system imbalances, the vast majority is self induced... A product of an unhealthy lifestyle choice.

www.thisislondon.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It makes me happy to see a doctor say this. It does not happen often but when a doctor actually recommends something other than pharmaceuticals it is a step in the right direction. (given that is not the only option)
To much now do you see people get prescriptions for things that can be alleviated by good ole common since. Like eating right and exercise and not drinking soda everyday for years.

If someone eats 2 packs of little Debbie's a day followed by a 2 liter of Coke and a Big Mac for dinner there is no pill in the world that is going help that. (safely)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I agree, and the promotion of diet pills we currently see on the market show just how far this has gone. The primary cause of obesity always has been and remains a juxtaposition of different elements, which contribute to the overall decline in health. The highest contributors are by far a slow metabolic rate, diet, and inactivity. However, most current research into this area does show a direct cause and effect relationship between other conditions and obesity by pointing out the number of obese people who suffer from depression and/or self-esteem disorders. It seems quite a few parents of obese children, the adult patients themselves and physicians are more willing to try and treat the obesity, instead of treating the "cause" of their obesity. The saddest part of this is that the few people who have verifiable medical conditions like low functioning Thyroids or excess production and release of horomones in the Adrenal glands that contribute to weight gain, are often waiting in line for treatment.

There are several different kinds of medications avaliable. Most diet pills currently avaliable over the counter work to control and suppress the appetite and contain a concoction of Phenylpropanolamine and Caffeine. There are other medications such as Lipase Inhibitors which reduce the body's natural ability to absorb fat, and a few other anti-depressives which work in similar ways, such as Acomplia. Understanding how and why weight loss medications work the way they do is key to anyone wondering if they should take them. Bottom line is most individuals don't need medications; they need a lifestyle change. However, in the fast paced world we currently live in this is not something that is easy to accomplish for many, or they are unwilling to make the change. Diet medications offer an "easy way out" of the persons weight problem and they rarely think of the consequences, side effects, and money spent on such things.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Don't stop at McDonald's...

This applies to alcoholism, and drug addiction (probably the most "fashionable" and accepted) as well. The blame game has been played long enough... The majority of the people with these problems have no legitimate medical cause.

Time to look in the mirror lard butt.

CX

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
About time a medical professional spoke the thruth instead of spewing rubbish in return for more profits for the pharmaceutical companies.

If doctors referred most of thier patients to a personal trainer before giving out drugs, the world would be a much happier place. A 6 month prescribed exercise plan, whatever the patients condition.....that would sort a lot of people out.

What annoys me is when you see these kids on tv drinking 2ltr bottles of Coke at the breakfast table, and then the mum...who is usually the same size as the overweight kid funnily enough...she goes and says it's a medical thing!

Don't get me wrong, sometimes it is, but a lot of the time it's just down to nutrition.

CX.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Don't stop at McDonald's...

This applies to alcoholism, and drug addiction (probably the most "fashionable" and accepted) as well. The blame game has been played long enough... The majority of the people with these problems have no legitimate medical cause.

Time to look in the mirror lard butt.

Then you tyrant, ban obesity, alcoholism and drugs. I'll tell you what, you clearly are not a leader, because the alcoholics are the politicians you will not control, the drug users are the people you will not control, and the fat, well, there are genetic links, they are the only ones that will try for you despite you mirth. The rest of us will punish you for your prejudice. I hope you never get to power, your intolerance is at the alter of narcisism, your image is your arrogance and my image of hell.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Mmmk, not really sure what you mean by that but you obviously took something the wrong way.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I don't like mindless intolerance..... maybe I took that the wrong way? Nah, question it all the way!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I can see how people can lie to them selves on drugs and alcohol. But come on, food. Its not like these people are fat and happy. Fat and Happy people can get out of bed. I have no sympathy for anyone who ways over 400 lbs. I'm almost mad at obese people.

I don' know, I guess I'm heartless, but come on. If i woke up one day and couldn't see my feet while standing strait up. I would fast.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by ThaDewd]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

The majority of the people with these problems have no legitimate medical cause...

Redled...

Take a look at what I have quoted above from Mirthful Me. He is 100% correct in stating that the majority of people who suffer from obesity have no medical reasons behind their condition. In fact, true medical cases of obesity caused by Thyroid and Adrenal glandular problems account for very little of identifiable cases of obesity nationwide according to studies done by the CDC and Mayoclinic. Because mental factors such as depression and anxiety are so indeterminate as causes for obesity I believe Mirthful Me was perfectly correct to state that most cases cannot be actively traced to a known medical cause.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
For another view on this and some of the problems faced by people who have a weight problem, have a look here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

I found much of what was said throughout the thread to be informative and enlightening.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman

The majority of the people with these problems have no legitimate medical cause...

Redled...

Take a look at what I have quoted above from Mirthful Me. He is 100% correct in stating that the majority of people who suffer from obesity have no medical reasons behind their condition.....
[edit on 2-8-2007 by Jazzerman]

Thanks for the points.
Many fat people have many reasons. Some are genetic, others not. Depression is not counted, but succeeds, but then we get into the pill culture that causes so many to put on weight. I did not go at Mirthful Me for his obesity stuff, rather his over generalisation into alcohol and drugs. False metaphors feed much disinformation. Those who knowingly propagate them, metaphor aside, are false.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by redled
I don't like mindless intolerance..... maybe I took that the wrong way? Nah, question it all the way!!!!

I do not think it was mindless intolerance. Its the truth! People now days are plain lazy. And I don't like my tax dollars going toward hoveround's because someone was to lazy to exercise and eat responsible.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Right, in Britain we had the coal miners, they attacked Margaret Thatcher and accordingly lost. 1 million milling minerworkers. She beat them, and good. Funny thing was, when they all lost their jobs, they were lost, ruined, and generally aimless. The job for life had gone.
In Britain now, parties are looking at how they can tailor re-skilling packages to get someone back to work. We will cut benefits for those who will not try. But those that try, our nuggets of training are repaid many times in immeasurable reductions in tax.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I did not go at Mirthful Me for his obesity stuff, rather his over generalisation into alcohol and drugs. False metaphors feed much disinformation. Those who knowingly propagate them, metaphor aside, are false.

So drug abuse and alcoholism have a direct medical cause? Could you please direct me to the empirical beacon of truth regarding this?

Personal responsibility is the topic at hand, and being a drug addict or an alcoholic is an issue of personal responsibility. I realize that certain people have a predisposition to drug/alcohol dependence... I also know that when a person so predisposed acknowledges the problem, and takes the appropriate steps to intervene there isn't an acute occurrence... And without the acute phase there is no chronic phase.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I did not go at Mirthful Me for his obesity stuff, rather his over generalisation into alcohol and drugs. False metaphors feed much disinformation. Those who knowingly propagate them, metaphor aside, are false.

So drug abuse and alcoholism have a direct medical cause......

Right we were talking about fat, and then booze came in, and now I'm caned........ Yes, they do have genetic links. I've been waiting to get this off my chest (like since I started writing this sentence) but yes, we all know people with addictive tendencies. Funny that. I agree that personal will is massive, but I do not assume in any situation that I will be as strong as others or vice versa. There are links.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Oh here we go with the big attack from all the people in there glass houses.

Led by a moderator no less!

Let me just say that you have no idea of what you speak. However, keep attacking if it makes you all feel better about yourselves.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Why are overweight people so touchy about someone mentioning that they need to loose weight? Sure if you have a medical problem and are overweight because of it its not your fault. To me it seams like ALL overweight people want you to think its a medical problem when its a lazy unhealthy eating problem.

To all that takes offense to this and says we don't understand that its a medical problem. Well if your doctor diagnosed you with a medical problem that causes weight gain this does not pertain to you so calm down.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If medicine can develop a pill that stops the buildup of fat in the body why is that a bad thing? We got a pill that stops a woman from getting pregnant. Do we need that pill? Can’t she just keep her pants on? Why not a pill that stops a person from becoming fat? I would think that would be a major health breakthrough. Then all that time we waste in the gym could be put to better use. I'm in the gym 1 to 2 hours every day running, swimming and lifting weights.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join