It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Police want DNA for litter dropping

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Why is it that a democratically elected body, the Goverment, gives and unelected body the Police the means to denude our rights. The latest move in the Police state is that if you drop litter, dont wear a seatbelt or speed the Police want your DNA, why.

Just when are we going to stand up for our rights and when are we going to stop the Police turning the country into a Police state. The very people who cannot stop grandma from being robbed of her pension want the DNA of litter louts. The same people who say they are overstretched but can always find plenty of bodies to protect filmstars etc. and persecute road users.

Why in this land of cameras, a country I may add with relatively low crime rates compared to many other countries are we allowing these unelected facists to turn us all into criminals. The attitude of the British Police is that we are all guilty of a crime its just that we have not been caught/punished yet.

Well that is not the case and the greater British public dont want this green and pleasant land turned into something the Nazis wanted to achieve.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Don't have much to say to this beyond the obvious really, its a disgusting practice that goes against basic human rights, any broken law no matter how minor seems to be an excuse to do this sort of thing, yet at the same time many real criminals get away with allsorts, it almost seems deliberate when you look at the bigger picture.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Whilst I hate to say it, If you arent a criminal you have nothing to fear do you?

What is your big beef with the idea? What it will mean is that it will be far easier to catch criminals or at least find out who was responsible for which crimes.

Why do quite ordinary law abiding people have such fear of these things?

As for the cameras? they dont bother me one bit. Though I did get done for speeding by a Gatso but that was my own fault .

[edit on 3/8/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Chorlton, do you equate rapists, murderer's etc. to people who drop litter.

I want to live in a free society not a police state where at the drop of the hat or litter your carted off to court or worse. I'm all for changing peoples attitudes for the better but its not achieved by police state methods.

And as for being innocent as I stated the police see all civillians as criminals with something to hide, thwerefore you are not perceived as such in their eyes.

History has shown that many in our police force are corrupt and I'm sure the picture is the same today, so do you want to trust these people with your freedom and liberty.

Are you for a bar code on your arm or a chip implant, did not the Nazis mark the Jews, they were innocent people wer'nt they. Maybe you and others want to be told what you can wear, say or do, where you can go on holiday etc. well I dont and the majority of the British public dont want it.

You have to start seeing the Police as your enemy and not as your friend.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
I want to live in a free society

So do I, but I would also like to live in a country where I am not knee deep in twix wrappers so most things which will discourage the ignorant and inconsiderate from dropping litter sounds OK to me.

It's a strange thing but I don't do conformity by and large, I like to make my own mind up about things and go about life in a way which generally suits me and yet I have never once had cause to be arrested or have a DNA sample taken. The "fascists" have never gone out of their way to unreasonably curtail my freedoms but my life is occasionally blighted by ignorant fellow citizens who do not treat my way of life with the same respect that I afford to them.

We all suffer from far more significant threats to our liberty and independence than those posed by the bodies that help to keep us secure.

I trust that if you are ever unfortunate enough to be assaulted on the street you will be true to your ideals and tell the police to clear off and mind their own business if they try to assist you.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The police may want to bring in dna sampling for dropping litter/speeding ect, but how long will it be before they start takeing and storeing people's dna profiles from birth? the way we are heading it is surely only a matter of time before this is proposed.

What happened to the day's where the police actually found the criminal's by doing some detective work? nowadays they have thousand's/millions? of cctv camera's around the country, tv programmes like crimewatch and crimestopper's paying people to grass up a criminal. From what i can see a modern day copper couldn't catch a cold let alone a criminal without the above.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
The police may want to bring in dna sampling for dropping litter/speeding ect, but how long will it be before they start takeing and storeing people's dna profiles from birth? the way we are heading it is surely only a matter of time before this is proposed.

Isnt that a good thing? someone commits a crime and whammo 1 hour later they know who did it, via a DNA test. I would have surely liked it when the scum broke into my mums house, defecated on her bed, sprayed paint everywhere and stole everything that was moveable.
She would not go back into the house after she saw that and I am sure it contributed to her death.

What happened to the day's where the police actually found the criminal's by doing some detective work? nowadays they have thousand's/millions? of cctv camera's around the country, tv programmes like crimewatch and crimestopper's paying people to grass up a criminal. From what i can see a modern day copper couldn't catch a cold let alone a criminal without the above.

Because policing levels, paperwork and Police wasting innumerable hours chasing scum and vandals has seriously limited the time they can spend doing real worthwhile work.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Chorlton I can undestand your views but at the end of the day the police are there to protect the greater people form the evil of the few and not to turn the country into a police state. have tyou heard of miscarriage of justice, what happens when they come and knock on your door stating they have your dna from a crime scene but your innocent, just how do you prove that you are, have you thought of that.

And more importantly we should be looking at the causes of crime and to seek to rectify them rather than tarring eveyone with the same brush.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Chorlton I can undestand your views but at the end of the day the police are there to protect the greater people form the evil of the few and not to turn the country into a police state. have tyou heard of miscarriage of justice, what happens when they come and knock on your door stating they have your dna from a crime scene but your innocent, just how do you prove that you are, have you thought of that.

And more importantly we should be looking at the causes of crime and to seek to rectify them rather than tarring eveyone with the same brush.

Your last point first
The causes of crime ? There has been crime since day 1. You have something, I want it, I cant afford it, I take it.

Now your first point. I was under that impression that DNA matching had avery good reliability, far far better than fingerprinting

I found this: library.thinkquest.org...

DNA matching is however, constantly under question when used as evidence in court, as contamination of a sample is possible, even though strict precautions are put in place to prevent contamination. For example - a stain containing DNA was found at a crime scene in a country that has a population of 10 million people, and the crime scene DNA sample is accurate enough to match 1% of the population. A suspect is arrested and that person's DNA sample matches perfectly with the one found at the crime scene. The prosecutor argues that because only 1% of the population shares the same DNA profile, there is only a 1 in 100 chance that the person is innocent. The defence however, then argues that if 1% of the population share the same DNA, then there could be 99 999 (1% of 10 million minus 1) other individuals who could have possibly been at the scene of the crime. Presuming innocence, the odds of the suspect being guilty are actually 1 in 100 000. This example shows the hazards of relying too much on DNA as evidence.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
What happened to the day's where the police actually found the criminal's by doing some detective work? nowadays they have thousand's/millions? of cctv camera's around the country, tv programmes like crimewatch and crimestopper's paying people to grass up a criminal.

Yep you're right there sure enough, it's just an unfair advantage for the police isn't it?

Tell you what, let's level up that playing field and give the poor downtrodden criminal a break, I mean who do these police characters think they are, anybody would think catching bad guys was their job or something.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
Whilst I hate to say it, If you arent a criminal you have nothing to fear do you?

What is your big beef with the idea? What it will mean is that it will be far easier to catch criminals or at least find out who was responsible for which crimes.

Dude get with the picture!! - bad line I know, but your location is listed as UK.

THEY WANT YOU TO BE A CRIMINAL. Deoxyribonucleic acid is better then a finger print, but they still want those - as well as your facial recognition your spending habits, web browsing habits and other things.

Painting a nice picture aint they!

[edit on 3/8/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The phrase "i have nothing to hide, im not a criminal" is possibly the most blind thing one could state..

You mite not be a criminal yet, but all it takes is a few changes to laws and hey presto, your a criminal/terrorist.

DNA is your divine blueprint. Having iris and fingerprints is one thing, but having the code which makes YOU is another thing entirely. They have no right to your DNA, absolutely none. If you would willingly give it over, then your soul is already lost.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
In the name of freedom people will end up having none.

Do not be so blind to support the last vestiges of privacy that humans have left.

DNA sampling is big business and very profitable onces it gets approval to tag and file every single citizens by categories.

Also DNA will provide prove that you could be a possible criminal and what medical problems you may have in the future, anything that has to do with your make over is in your DNA.

What a way to make business and tag citizens for easy access.

Yes . . . freedom is nothing but a state of mind . . . as long as you believe is for your own safety and . . . freedom. . .

Rest assure because is nothing to hide anymore, onces your DNA is taken. . .

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hey Marg, I'll tell you which part of my potential loss of privacy bothers me, it's when some scummy little chav breaks into my house and steals my stuff or my identity.

If I can nail that git by using a DNA swab taken the last time he displayed the ignorance to chuck a McDonald's wrapper out of his car window that's fine by me.

As for my own potential criminality, well the day I decide to start burglarising my neighbours will be the day I start worrying about that.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by timeless test]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test
Hey Marg, I'll tell you which part of my potential loss of privacy bothers me, it's when some scummy little chav breaks into my house and steals my stuff or my identity.

And I will tell you something, the littler scummy chav that brake in into your house is the last person that you will have to be worry off.

Worry you will be of the plans already in the making to tag and keep track off every single citizens in your nation and mine.

Its already in the making. . . is nothing you will be able to do without giving away your DNA in the future.

Don't be fooled is usually on the excuse of for your safety and protection that gets people approvals even if is only that littler scummy chav that broke into your place, next will be you the law abiding citizen all in the name of . . . for you safety.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thanks for your concern Marg, I know you say it from the heart but I'll worry about today's threat today. Tomorrow may never get here...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Thanks for your concern Marg,

Is ok, sometimes I agree with many new ways to keep track of criminals.

But the DNA world database has been in the making from the 80s, bought by private company, yes originally in the UK.

Their goal is to make money on keeping and storing as much DNA of all the races in the world as they can.

They have been pushing the DNA storing of new born, but until now their lobbying has meet many privacy groups concern that take into consideration entire family trees it can be mistakes when DNA is very close and even identical in members of the same family.

DNA is not fool prove when it comes to family.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Is this common in your area?

If so perhaps you should consider moving.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If you are innocent what have you to be guilty about

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
So many people in the UK seem to be fine with this and tow the "what do you have to be afraid of" mentality.

I say we let them have their just deserts.

Enjoy !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join