It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "charisma?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I am creating this thread because I am interested in this thing that people call "charisma."

What I want to know is what do members on ATS think "charisma" is?

Is is some innate gift that only certain people are born with, or can "charisma" be learned?

All the time we hear the word "charisma" associated with people like Barrack Obama.

What is different about him or people like him that set them apart from others?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
1. Theology. a divinely conferred gift or power.
2. a spiritual power or personal quality that gives an individual influence or authority over large numbers of people.
3. the special virtue of an office, function, position, etc., that confers or is thought to confer on the person holding it an unusual ability for leadership, worthiness of veneration, or the like.

charisma is your ability to make people like you, trust you and inevitably give them your money! psychopaths are typically very charismatic, they lure you in with kind words and when you love them they take everything away from you without mercy or respite. charisma is a weapon to be utilised by the cruel and unjust...or maybe i'm just bitter for i have none? who knows

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
"Charisma."
If you really want to know what it is, I can tell you in a single word. GARBAGE.

But here is the dictionary definition

# A rare personal quality attributed to leaders who arouse fervent popular devotion and enthusiasm.
# Personal magnetism or charm: a television news program famed for the charisma of its anchor
Bull

Generally, "charisma" is a word that is attributed to someone with a "great personality." To me, it's a bunch of hogwash, but that is just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Speaker, so then you believe charisma can be learned?

I think it's undeniable that certain people just have "something" about them that lures you in.

I hate to use this man as an example, but look at Adolf Hitler, he had the ability to influence people like no man before him. Could this simple be a result of his "personality?"

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
you dont need charisma to do what hitler did, all he did was create diversions, make 85% of the populace believe and the other 15% have no choice but to follow suit. GWBush has all the charisma of a salt shaker...but none the less he got you all to support a war you didnt want, people signed up to the american military in they'r thousands after 9/11

its not charisma that these men have...its a lack on conscience. hitler knew what makes us tick...GWB's puppeteer knows what makes us tick

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Speaker, so then you believe charisma can be learned?

Personally, humble, I have never met anyone with this so-called "charisma." Even the people I do know who everyone claims has "charisma," I don't really see anything outstanding about them at all. Maybe it's just me. To me, people are people.

Many of your so-called "cult leaders" are labeled with "charisma." I actually met David Koresh on a few occasions when I was about 13-14 years old, and to be honest, I didn't see anything "outstanding" or "appealing" about the guy at all...He was just another soft spoken, slow talking Texan to me. SHRUG... Just another guy. However, apparently some were somehow attracted to him. They must have seen something I didn't.

For me, the whole "charisma" thing is a myth.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Speaker, maybe you are correct, perhaps it's merely one individual who ascribes something "magnetic" to another individual.

Maybe "charisma" exist only in the head of the person ascribing it?

[edit on 2-8-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Elvis once said that "charisma is Christ within." I think thats a fairly apt description.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZGhorus
you dont need charisma to do what hitler did, all he did was create diversions, make 85% of the populace believe and the other 15% have no choice but to follow suit. GWBush has all the charisma of a salt shaker...but none the less he got you all to support a war you didnt want, people signed up to the american military in they'r thousands after 9/11

its not charisma that these men have...its a lack on conscience. hitler knew what makes us tick...GWB's puppeteer knows what makes us tick

Actually, Bush has the "nice guy" way about him that seems to be characteristic of the people that are labeled with "charisma." As I said, I think the whole "Charisma" stuff is garbage, so it really doesn't apply to me.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Speaker, maybe you are correct, perhaps it's merely one individual who ascribes something "magnetic" another individual.

Maybe "charisma" exist only in the head of the person ascribing it?

It would seem to me. Like I said, to me people are just people. I have never met anyone who I'd follow or put my life on the line for, other than my family.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I don't see what this has to do with the paranormal. Being charismatic is just a people skill, like being an extrovert.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I don't see what this has to do with the paranormal. Being charismatic is just a people skill, like being an extrovert.

If there is any reality to it at all, I'd say that is all it is. Yes.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Personally... I have never met anyone with this so-called "charisma."

Yes, that was evident from your first post.

Or rather -- since possessors of charisma abound -- you are either not susceptible to it (which is rather like not being susceptible to sexiness) or else react to it with hostility for personal reasons (which I think is rather more likely, though of course I have no idea why since I don't know your personal history).

Charisma exists. People who possess it make life richer and more interesting for everybody else. And no, you can't learn it. That fools people for a while, but they soon see through the charade.

Just my two cents worth. But then, I'm a charismatic kind of fellow.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Charisma exists. People who possess it make life richer and more interesting for everybody else. And no, you can't learn it. That fools people for a while, but they soon see through the charade.

I have to agree with you Astyanax.

Although I am open to all sorts of opinions, I for one believe charisma exists.

I also believe I am a charismatic individual. No matter where I go people always look at me and are interested in who I am.

I also find I have an uncanny ability to influence others around me.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Is it my fortune or my fame
Is it my money or my name
Is it my personality
Or just my sexuality, yeah, yeah
What is my charisma
What is my charisma, yeah

Is it my body or my brain
Do I drive you insane, ha
Is it the power of my touch
Do you need me too much, too much, too much

What is my charisma, what is my, what is my
What is my charisma
Is it my fortune or my fame
What is my, is it my money or my name, charisma, yeah
What is my, yeah, yeah, yeah, charisma

What is my charisma, what is it I've got
What is it about me that gets you so hot, hot, yeah

Am I the master of your soul
Do you lose all control, ha
Is it my fire or my flame
Do I drive you insane, charisma

What is my charisma, yeah
What is my, is it my fire or my flame, charisma
What is my charisma
What is my charisma
Is it my body or my brain
What is my, is it my money or my name, charisma
And do I drive you insane
What is my, what is my, what is my, charisma
What is my, is it my fortune or my fame, charisma
And do I drive you insane
Charisma, charisma
Charisma, charisma
What is my

--KISS "DYNASTY"

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Or rather -- since possessors of charisma abound -- you are either not susceptible to it (which is rather like not being susceptible to sexiness)
Just my two cents worth. But then, I'm a charismatic kind of fellow.

Where do they "abound"? As I have stsated, I have never met anyone who I was just irresistibly drawn to. Never... By the way, your last comment is not only arrogant, but sort of nullifies everything you said in regards to this supposed "charisma" that you're telling me exists. It's a bunch of crappolla sprung on by the media during the 1990s...

[edit on 5-8-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

But then, I'm a charismatic kind of fellow.

By the way, your last comment is not only arrogant...

It was meant as a joke, really. If I was that charismatic I wouldn't have time to muck about on ATS. No offence intended.

I used to work (and play) in the media. I've seen actors and musicians, and I've seen people with star quality. I've seen teachers that had charisma. I've seen -- heaven preserve us -- preachers who simply oozed with the stuff. It's not that rare.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Personally I think a "charismatic" person to be simply a person who has become adept at manipulation.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mothling
Personally I think a "charismatic" person to be simply a person who has become adept at manipulation.

Yes, that's quite right. It's also quite normal. All human communication is attempted manipulation at some level. Sometimes it's consciously done. More often it's unconscious, but there it is. An old truism: all communications are for the benefit of the sender.

And there is nothing wrong with it, especially since a charismatic man or woman may be quite aware of the effect he has, yet not be able to control, predict or even understand it.

Of course, what applies to any other talent in this regard applies to charisma as well: the way to control, develop and exploit talent is to practice, practice, practice.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by Astyanax]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mothling

Pretty much...

I think what most people consider "charisma" is "having a good personality." Although, I suppose appearance plays a bit of a role in that, it's not really the mainstay. It's just a word attached to "personality."

top topics

join