It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bridge Collapse - forewarned by Mothman?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I was flipping thru the channels last night when I came across the breaking news of the bridge collapse in Minn. While I was just in awe over this disaster it was not until I heard one reporter reminisce that it truly impacted me fully.

The hair on the back of my neck stood at attention as I heard him exclaim: "The last time something like this happened was Dec 15, 1967 in Point Pleasant, WVA. The silver bridge collapsed at approx 5:00pm."

My mind immediately thought of Mothman and I started to wonder if there were any sightings prior to this latest tragedy.

Although I'm on the fence regarding Mothman, I'd really be interested to know if there were any strange sightings in the Minneapolis area the past couple of months.

I would ask that we all keep our eyes and ears open as often people don't come forward right away to report such things.

Mothman is most likely a myth but it has always interested me for some reason.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I think that flashed into quite a few peoples minds.

It would be interesting to see if any stories start to circulate. Problem would be validity, due to popularity of the myth.

I sort of remember the story/myth being about major disasters overall and not just bridge collapses... this always makes me think of when major disasters strike, never any mention of the MM. ( credible mention anyways)

Nice post, hope some credible stories may turn up.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo

The hair on the back of my neck stood at attention as I heard him exclaim: "The last time something like this happened was Dec 15, 1967 in Point Pleasant, WVA. The silver bridge collapsed at approx 5:00pm."

Why is that? why wouldnt a reporter get information about another building collapse and pass it on as a bit of trivia?

Sorry for asking but i cant seem to grasp what that has to do with a mothman?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Fett Pinkus,

I think you need to go back and study the history of Mothman.

Grail, I know that it is disasters in general but the silver bridge is the most famous Mothman related incident and that's why it triggered my response.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I have to admit, as soon as I heard about what had happened, I immediatley thought of the Silver Bridge event in Point Pleasant. I haven't said anything to anyone, as it just didn't seem appropriate, but its a relief to know that I wasn't the only one.

It will be interesting to see what parrallels others come up with, and also if there were any sightings or events that could lead up to this, or whether we are just associating it with Mothman because it was another bridge disaster.

I just hope that they can get this situation under control asap.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I actually thought about this when I heard about the bridge collapsing. One of the first things I thought was, "Boy, that is almost reminiscent of the whole moth man deal."

[edit on 2-8-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Me too, but evidently, no one saw the Mothman, or arent saying.

Unless he was disguised as a bridge driller.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Please excuse my ignorance and naivety, and bear in mind i'm relatively new here, and it's late here in England and as such can't be arsed to do my own reasearch but...Who or what is Mothman?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Freeborn, here you go

“Mothman”, as the strange creature came to be called, is perhaps one of the strangest creatures to ever grace the annals of weirdness in America. Even though this mysterious and unsolved case has nothing to do with ghosts, it would be remiss of me to not include it in a section of the website about the unexplained.

The weird events connected to the Mothman began on November 12, 1966 near Clendenin, West Virginia. Five men were in the local cemetery that day, preparing a grave for a burial, when something that looked like a “brown human being” lifted off from some nearby trees and flew over their heads. The men were baffled. It did not appear to be a bird, but more like a man with wings. A few days later, more sightings would take place, electrifying the entire region.
Mothman

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   
i never fully understood how people established a chain of causality between the alledged moth man phenonemon of several months , yup months prior to the silver bridge collapse and the collapse itself .

bearing in mind :

It was also noted that the bridge was carrying much heavier loads than it was originally designed for and was poorly maintained.

overloading a structure and skimping maintainence is just a disaster waiting to happen

blaming an alledged paranormal entity seen in the area months before is just grasping straws .

now onto this incident [ Minneapolis ] , the immediate point of similarity is the lack of maintanance and allegations ioof substandard construction @ Minneapolis - i have no data on the load conditions - but the maintainance / construction defects real or alkledge - make the two stores linked

lastly - what about all the alledged " mothmsan " incidents that have occured where no connection however tenuous to any disaster is evident ?

not cherry picking are we ???????????

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
blaming an alledged paranormal entity seen in the area months before is just grasping straws .

Ape,

Nobody is claiming anything here. It's just interesting stuff is all. Yes, logic would tell you that everything you eluded to is absolutely correct but it's still fun and exciting to wonder and project the drama of it all.

Why ruin everyones fun needlessly?

Disclaimer: When I say fun I am referring to the Mothman legend only as I would never make light of any tragic situation.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
By the way Ape,

You are referring to the reports months before the silver bridge collapse. Who knows how many people may have seen the "alleged" Mothman right up to the day and just kept their mouths shut.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I thought the MM was only a 'forerunner' sort of speak, giving signs of impending doom/destruction, not the actual cause of the disaster.

Not sure, been a while.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You are absolutely right Grail, He was/is merely a harbinger of disaster. Said to appear as a warning.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A little more background for those not hip to the whole Mothman thing-

Info from Major Jack Downing (who's been interviewed at one point by our own Conspiracy Master, Norio Hayakawa):

[url=http://members.tripod.com/~RealMIB/jdnotes5.html]>SOURCE

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
yearight,

That's actually a side story to the main. For the main story, go here:

www.mothmanlives.com...

You did post some interesting info though and I wouldn't doubt that they were experimenting down there. After reading further I'm not so inclined to believe the bulk of it but....

[edit on 3-8-2007 by jbondo]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Ohh I'm familiar with the main story. What I was told (and can't confirm beyond I believe the person I heard it from is credible), is that Keel's book was the cover story for the book that Downing was writing. And has never published.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yes, I know you are quite familiar with the main story but I think it best to start there and then go off on the side notes. However, I am glad you posted that as it was interesting reading.

As I said, although I do believe that the gov did/does experiment with people in town groups I do find most of that story hard to believe.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
6:05 P.M. the collapse occurred ...

Watch the introduction closely

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall ... [Miss USA takes a tumble]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Another interesting twist is that both bridges are on roadways with the designation of 35.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join