It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Nasa hacker' McKinnon wins right to Lords hearing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

'Nasa hacker' McKinnon wins right to Lords hearing

www.computerworlduk.com

Gary McKinnon, the ex-systems administrator accused of conducting the biggest military hack of all time, has won the right to have his case against extradition to the US heard by the House of Lords. The decision gives McKinnon and legal team a fresh chance to challenge the extradition, having argued previously that the US authorities acted in an "oppressive" manner to secure his removal from the UK.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Good news for Gary, though I still think he is going away for a long time either way. The US wants to make an example of him, I still wonder what he says he saw regarding ufo's is true. Anyway, he seems to be putting up a good fight so far.

www.computerworlduk.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Just like Kevin Mitnick he will definitely be made an example of. You do not punk the US government and expect them to not return the favor.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
yea, i remember with mitnick they said he broke into norad and wanted to send him away for life. i think mckinnon is gonna take some of the left over wrath from that as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by radioactive_liquid
yea, i remember with mitnick they said he broke into norad and wanted to send him away for life. i think mckinnon is gonna take some of the left over wrath from that as well.

They also said that he could launch nuclear missiles with a phone call
The laughable crap that the Gov. tries to sell the sheeple is without end when they are trying to push their agenda.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
McKinnon was not all that .The only reason they are portraying him to be this master hacker is so they do not look so bad for getting hacked by a pot smoking run of the mill geek.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
lol yea, fbi warned the prison warden to keep him away from phones. i can only imagine what that warden was thinking when they told him that.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
McKinnon was not all that .The only reason they are portraying him to be this master hacker is so they do not look so bad for getting hacked by a pot smoking run of the mill geek.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by Digital_Reality]

i agree, he took advantage of a passwordless windows network basically lol. i always imagined the gov using openbsd or some other unix based system.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Actually Mitnick was the 1st person on my studies that i can think about that never had a fair due process.

He never had a fair trial, they held him in jail for like 5 yrs without a trial, cause he would do such things as set a bomb off wit a phone.

Anyway is this guy you are talking about that script kiddie that got into the computers cause some idiot didn't use a password for the admin account? cause if so that isn't no big deal. Any idiot could do that.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I have a friend that works for an alphabet agency. The things he tells me about their network and who they get to administrate them is just plain funny.

My friend has NO prior experience in the computer field before starting his job and is called upon to do server maintenance regularly. I am a Network Admin and I have accounts that I take care of in Realtors offices that is more secure than where my friend works.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
..... Darpa uses windows?!

Are they all mad?

Holy geez, now that I know that, I might actually bother trying a telnet to them.

lol... I wonder if they have winsocks and file and printer sharing running... hahaha (sarcasm).

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
lol, mckinnon apparently just used a couple simple perl scripts to search for blank passwords and pc-anywhere....now thats sad. he isnt nearly as skilled as mitnick.

apc

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Mitnick was an idiot. He could social engineer like a madman, but stupidity got him busted. On the run and using the same pair on your cell for that long? Yowsahs that's dumb.

I'm amazed McKinnon has held out this long. It sure would be nice though to know what he really found on those systems. I strongly doubt it's real alien UFO stuff, probably more like prototype designs and concept vehicles. Regardless it'd still be pretty cool.

top topics

join