It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researcher's Analysis of al Qaeda Images Reveals Surprises

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Two main possibilities on the possible manipulation in question:

1. Al-Qaeda is "spiffing up" their videos for purely presentational reasons.
2. NSA/CIA are involved in fakery.

True, but honestly I wouldnt put it past our government or a foriegn terrorists group, I dont trust ANYONE of them.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
ah, that clears it up. the site you posted didn't have tables listed that match the chad image tables. doesn't say much, but it would be interesting if i were to stumble upon a signature that indicated that it came from some camera. i doubt that it will happen, but it would certainly be interesting.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
How is this a surprise? The background looked fake in them. I don't see how this makes a CIA connection? Can the people making the videos not have editing programs?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I think all the above are plausible. info can be embedded in photo just like the old coldwar days and before that actually like micro dots in a matchbook. Alqaeda have been very effective their use of the internet and video to conduct recruiting and psyops campaigns. I would not put it past them to assign colors for a go or stand down position for a pre pending operation, or a combination one for our consumption and another for the inside people. Cell leaders always held the the overall plan, while members only knew one specdific task. I am pretty sure thats why we have not been hit yet because we have broken whatever code they have. Much like the Brits did with Germany and there encryption throughout the war.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

He points out that just because the error levels are the same for two items in an image, that doesn't prove they were added at the same time, only that the compression was the same for both items when they were added.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It seems to me defeating this would be simple. Print and scan and voilà a new Raster file. Compress and who's the wiser. Or use the original being added to as a billboard or billboards (if you want to put part of the original in front of the added portion) in any 3D rendering package and render. I learned recently how to eliminate the fringe perfectly on cut and paste operations. Real simple to do.

Having said the above, if I'm understanding the purpose of the software, it would have no value unless the person creating the altered photo or film were totally uninformed about its existence. It would not hold up in a court and would be of little or no value for research. Just an interesting toy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join