It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marburg Outbreak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Marburg Outbreak

news.bbc.co.uk

An outbreak of the deadly Marburg virus has been confirmed in Uganda's Kamwenge district by the health authorities.
Two miners have been diagnosed with the fast-spreading Ebola-like haemorrhagic fever, close to the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo.

One of them has died and about 40 other people working at Kitaka gold mine have been quarantined, officials say.
Marburg has a high fatality rate. The last reported outbreak was in Angola in 2005 when some 300 people died.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
allafrica.com
www.eastandard.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Bubonic Plague-Infected Mice Missing From N.J. Lab

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Every so many years something like this will happen. Still one can not help but wonder if this is an outbreak that has been engineered as a weapon. The chances of that are most likely very small, and I just hope that will prove not to be the case.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
as an aside - the russian`s weaponised marberg years ago - it is reported that they were working on an ebola `chimera` (with smallpox at an RNA level) during the 1990`s

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Harlequin,
I am sure they were. And that is part of the reason why I say I am always concerned that an out break might be weaponized. Thanks for your information though.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
it is also found naturally - IIRC bats and monkey`s are a main carrier (but not proven) and it is water borne in bodily fluids as well. its a very nasty filovirus - but sadly is found naturally in this very region

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Harlequin,
yes I know it is found naturally which is why I did say it is unlikely that it is a weaponized version. I just know that there are those version of these deadly organisms out there. So hoping three hundred people won't die in this out break.

new topics

top topics

join