It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Meaning of Life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Now I know I might get shot down with this theory. However, I would like to share my thoughts in the matter of life's meaning. This is not a thread about how everything came to be, or who created God if God created us. This is more or less an idea I had while working at my boring job (Lots of time to think about random things).

Here it goes....

I was thinking negatively about my life, and how things could be different. When all of a sudden I felt lucky to be human. If you thought about it, deeply thought about it, we are all very lucky to be human. So with this in mind, I started thinking about my purpose and why we are all here to begin with.

I have thought about this for all my life and nothing really clicked until I had this thought. What if the meaning of life is......Self Realization!!!!

"Self realization" you say, yes the awarness of one's self.

Now think about this....

For this theory to be possible ideas such as reincarnation must be standard in this scenario. You start life as a single cell organism, move up the ranks, become an amoeba or something, then a shrimp, then a small fish ect. Every life body has a purpose no matter how small, as long as it's on the track of self awareness. Every step along the way, even at the life stage of a frog, will bring meaning as long as the big picture is in view and you are gathering knowledge along the way, even if that knowledge seems pointeless to us. For instance, We couln't appreciate this body and mind if we didn't have the life of a frog. Ultimately becoming intelligent enough to form abstract thought, such as this idea. (I am in no way saying that I am intelligent, I am saying that I have come a long way from being a single cell).

The whole point is like one giant lesson. And the ultimate goal is awareness of self.

I am not talking about seeing your reflection in the mirror and realizing that its you staring back. I am talking about the kind of self aware that realizes that you are part of this infinate universe.

So us humans being on the top rung of this life ladder, must be considered lucky and fortunate to have had all past lives played out and ready to become "aware" of this whole process. In the same light, this theory gives purpose to all living things big and small.

Logically, given this scenario, humans that don't become aware of themselves, will be given a new human form when they die to start the process again until they become "enlightened" as such.

This whole idea floating in my brain makes sense when I think about it. Its incredibly hard to express the thought I have in these few words, I have done the best I can. If someone has a question about this theory that I have not explained well or elaborated on, then feel free to express yourself.

What do ATS'ers think?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Thats Actually the basis of the reason for reincarnations in Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism) and Bhuddism I think too. I'm not sure its been a while since i took my philosophy of religion class.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
OOOOO

I like Bhuddism.......So others have had this thought as well I take it?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Everyone knows that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42.

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN

Logically, given this scenario, humans that don't become aware of themselves, will be given a new human form when they die to start the process again until they become "enlightened" as such.

Seriously though, that is an interesting theory, but I'm curious as to what you believe happens post mortem to those who DO reach this self-awareness enlightenment?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Holy CRap! 42 is my favorite number. Sorry for off topicness.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Possible Meaning of Life?

Well according to this guy it's magnetism, but I'm not attracted to the idea.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by synappz
Seriously though, that is an interesting theory, but I'm curious as to what you believe happens post mortem to those who DO reach this self-awareness enlightenment?

I believe that our life spirit/energy progresses to another stage. When we are free from the bonds of this body (human form for most) we continue to "live" even though our body has died. The enlightened ones realize that thinking "outside the box" granted them access to another higher place. Think about it this way....We are all under a ranking system. Single cell's are privates, humans are 4 star generals. In order to progress to the next rank you must gain something spiritually. Now, someone can say...."what can a single cell organism do to gain anything spiritually" I would respond as such...All they have to do is play their role. Its more like baby steps at that stage of life.

I believe that when we die, if you are lucky enough to be considered worthy of the higher place, then you won't be put back into the life rotation. Even at this stage there is more room for progress as this would be the beginning of a whole new chapter. Maybe the ranking system starts from 4 star general to God's when we end the seeking-enlightenment-life-loop.

Just my thoughts

top topics

join