It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Claims North Pole in Global Race for Oil

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This is not like a true ATS thread. How do we know Russia planted anything or even went to the North Pole. It's a Conspiracy I tell ya! Everyone involved is lying. The whole party is in Moscow guzzling Vodka watching Gilligan's Island re-runs. Thats my theory and I'm sticking to it.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville
First thing in the morning i'm going to go and stick my own flag in my neighbours pond and claim their house is now mine because i need their vast collection of Microwaveble Meals.

Same logic as Russia?

And America....

Jeez, how to get a load of yanks worked up... Mention Russia!
Let's face it, America doesn't like the thought that Russia will be the bigger, tougher super power someday... that's why we get these inane comments on here, with vague references to nukes and war.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
yo yo^^im not a fan of america of anything,i just though they might start a war couse of this.i personaly think soviets are cool

FDS

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   

[edit on 3-8-2007 by FDS]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
What makes anyone think russia will be a bigger superpower?

It is a country and ecnomomy based on its natural resources, nothing else, when was the last time u saw made in Russia anything, when was the last time you heard about russian ethical business practices.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

"'There's a saying here: If you need simple programming work done, give it to India. If you want complicated and serious tasks done, give it to China,' says Vyacheslav Ananyev, communications director at Data East, an Akademgorodok firm that produces Internet mapping software. 'But if you want to solve an unsolvable task, give it to the Russians'"

link

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Craig Murray knows his maritime law's He was spot on with the UK Iran Navy dispute.

Russia's claim is not extraordinary. One of the most spectacular continental shelf claims in the World is made by the UK and Ireland, stretching far westwards into the North Atlantic. As Head of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office's Maritime Section at the time, I was deeply involved in the succesful negotiation of the UK/Ireland boundary lines on that shelf.

There is a happy self-limiter here, because if an area contains oil and gas, it is pretty well by definition continental shelf, for obvious geological reasons. The only question is whether it is contiguous and whether it is within an agreed boundary or subject to a legitimate claim by anyone else. Without studying detailed charts, on the face of it current Russian claims look to me perfectly reasonable on both grounds.

www.craigmurray.co.uk...

Mod edit: added ex-tags

[edit on 2007/8/6 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iblis

We plant two MLRS systems at the edge, and fire each respective payload -- Which is made to cover about a square mile.

Can you imagine the Russia's arriving, and finding something like fourty-thousand, tiny, weighted American flags?
It'd be glorious.

Ha ha!
That would be hilarious!

At least they aren't stupid enough to try and claim the oil up here in Alaska at Prudhoe Bay. That would be a really dumb move...

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Russia didn't "claim" the north pole, just a region where they believe there is oil.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iblis
As long as we're coming up with crazy flag schemes, how about this:

We plant two MLRS systems at the edge, and fire each respective payload -- Which is made to cover about a square mile.

Can you imagine the Russia's arriving, and finding something like fourty-thousand, tiny, weighted American flags?
It'd be glorious.

Wouldn't work really, although nice idea. MLRS only has a range of 45 km max, depending on the missile type used. Wouldn't even get out of your existing and recognised claims, let alone all the way into the Arctic circle....

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

When all of this ice is melting... What if islands appear? Who will claim those?

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
That ice is melting?

[edit on 11-8-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Wouldn't work really, although nice idea. MLRS only has a range of 45 km max...

Actually the M30/XM31 variants of the MLRS system have a range more than 65 km. It still would not work, however that's beside the point, it is too impractical. There are other means such as specially equipped SLCM's or aircraft dropping specially configured munitions. The most ranged conventional ground launched missile that we currently have is the ATAMCS Block IVA with a range of 300 km.

[edit on 11-8-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike

That ice is melting?

Not all of the ice is melting. I meant, it is melting all over the place. In some places on Greenland, the ice is melting so fast you can see it melting. If islands appear in middle of no-man's land and are claimed, will those arctic islands also get a 200-mile zone around them?

<< 1  2   >>

join