It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Claims North Pole in Global Race for Oil

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Russia Claims North Pole in Global Race for Oil

www.livescience.com

Two Russian vessels have reached the North Pole and will attempt to plant a Russian flag on the Arctic seafloor as part of a scientific expedition, according to the government-owned ITAR-TASS news agency.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I smell another cold war a brewing!

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but its's pretty interesting so I thought I would share.

I'm interested in hearing what others think of this "stunt".

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Finally!

Can Russia run the world now? They can't be worse than the Americans.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Can Russia run the world now? They can't be worse than the Americans.

Oh, you'd be surprised.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Oh, you'd be surprised.

Nah I have no idea.
That was just my lame attempt to humor.

Is this on a map somewhere? This isn't really Canadian land is it?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I don't have a map of this area
I wonder if you can see it on google earth? I can't wait to see the global reation to these claims. I want to see the scientific evidence they say backs up their claims.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The Russians are planning to send two submarines down there to plant the flag, right? Why not do something a hell of a lot cheaper, and accomplish the same exact thing?

What I'm suggesting is having an American vessel go out there at the same time that they are, and just as they deploy their subs, we drop an American flag with a heavy weight on it from above. We then watch it effortlessly fall to the ocean floor, while the Russians are still positioning themselves to do the flag drop. Ideally, the flag would fall in between the two subs as they are getting ready to drop their's.

Wouldn't you love to hear what they'd have to say to that?

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
TheBorg,
Like the Space Race?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
What they should do is set the arctic up in quadrants: Canada, United States, Russia, and Denmark.

Russians are out of their minds if they think them just saying the arctic is theirs makes it theirs.

But they do really need the oil and gas more than the other countries involved considering their whole economy and most of their growth rests on their resources.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Or given that the North Pole is covered in ice we can just put our flag where it's visible and let a few and LA boats patrol the area backed up by B-52's flying CAP out of Thule. Or perhaps not...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   

TheBorg,
Like the Space Race?

Kind of, yeah. With one very hilarious exception.

This time, it would be them turning their cameras around while saying, "What the hell is that?" *static*

BREAKING NEWS

Today, the Russian attempt to deliver a flag to the bottom of the Arctic Ocean floor at the North Pole was cut short when a technical failure occurred. No further information has yet been provided to us, but we've heard some reports that it was called off as a result of some electrical failure in one of the submersibles.

We'll bring you more news when we hear it. Please stay tuned to you're local Arctic Pathfinder Express Station (APES).

Note: He he, that came out better than I had planned. APES? That was priceless. I didn't even realize that I had done that until I finished typing it, and put the acronym together. Man, I must be on a roll....

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
What they should do is set the arctic up in quadrants: Canada, United States, Russia, and Denmark.

That's actually not far from what it's set up as at present.

Each nation has their own designated quadrant of the arctic... however, Russia seems to believe they have evidence to show that they own more than they are allotted.

So long as they don't tread on Canada's northern islands, that's fine by me.

You see, it's almost impossible to claim territory that you never inhabit. Canada realized that about their northern islands, and hence, we've recently placed outposts up there to ensure that no other country lands anything there.

When it comes to the arctic, it's rarely ever occupied. And when it is, it's occupied by international research organizations, not a national presence.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I just can't see the United States sitting back without saying anything if Russia tries to extend it claim past the 200 miles. I actually see us trying to follow suit.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

BREAKING NEWS

Today, the Russian attempt to deliver a flag to the bottom of the Arctic Ocean floor at the North Pole was cut short when a technical failure occurred. No further information has yet been provided to us, but we've heard some reports that it was called off as a result of some electrical failure in one of the submersibles.

Sorry to cut the party short. They've done it!

Russian explorers have planted their country's flag on the seabed 4,200m (14,000ft) below the North Pole to further Moscow's claims to the Arctic.

news.bbc.co.uk...

So that's the beginning of the end! Check it out here...

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Those darn ruskies took a part of Finland (Petsamo) that would give us a direct access to arctic ocean along with Sweden and Norway. Oh well, we probably wouldn't go after the oil anyway.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Is this on a map somewhere? This isn't really Canadian land is it?
After thinking that the North Pole was in international waters, I found the following article.

Canada's top diplomat ridiculed Russia's flag-planting at the North Pole on Thursday, saying the "15th century" stunt does not bolster its disputed claim to the resource-rich Arctic.

"Look, this isn't the 15th century. You can't go around the world and plant flags and say, 'We're claiming this territory'," Foreign Minister Peter MacKay told broadcaster CTV.

There is growing international rivalry in the region as energy reserves grow scarce in other parts of the world and the melting of the polar ice caps makes the area more accessible for research and economic activity.

The Russian expedition hopes to establish that a section of sub-sea territory known as the Lomonosov Ridge, which includes the North Pole, is in fact an extension of Russia.

--Breitbart

[edit on 8/2/2007 by Togetic]

apc

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Don't have the time to dig it up right now but I researched this a few months ago and their claim is based on the argument that the North Pole is part of the continental shelf extending from Russia, meaning they can claim the water above the shelf. This argument is heavily disputed.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm for the russians taking advantage of the situation.If they have the means to make use of the resources there wouldnt it be better they do get them out so as to lessen the economic strain the world has. Who ever has a claim to it should be given an at cost price for the oil without a right to its resale. Then the russians dont freeze and everyone else involved gets what they want without footing the bill for getting the resources out.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Russians are out of their minds if they think them just saying the arctic is theirs makes it theirs.

What? Is this the sound of America getting worried cos they haven't claimed it for themselves. I think it's fair enough that Russia has decided to do this, better than having a Starbucks and a Mcdonalds built there.

Seriously though, I'm happy for the Russians.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Send in the Seawolf, better yet send in the battle groups.
Russia is not going to beat us to the punch.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join