It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Islands in the Atlantic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I was reading up on Atlantis/Lemuria and found a story about a ship sailing in the Atlantic that sighted an island that wasn't on any charts with temples on it. They supposedly investigated the island and found swords, rings, and other artifacts, even supposedly a stone sarcophagus...

From Farshores.org:

"This is a crucial discovery, for it verifies the sighting of a mysterious island in 1882. In March of that year Captain Robson and the crew of encountered a barren and uncharted [it was open sea several thousand feet deep on maps]. The bearings - 31o 25’N, 28o 40’W - place it at about the location of Zelintsky’s city. Once in New Orleans, their destination, a sailor told the Times Picayne they’d seen the “crumbling remains” of “massive walls”. The artifacts found included “bronze swords, rings, mallets”, carvings of .s and animals, skeletal remains in urns, and even a mummy in a stone sarcophagus!

Just a month later, Captain James Newdick and the crew of the Westbourne saw the same island - at bearings 25o 30’N, 24oW. Their story appeared in the New York Post. The two sets of co-ordinates hint at a sizable landmass, which could only have surfaced as the result of major seismic activity. In fact, the sailor from the SS Jesmond described a plateau of smoking volcanoes several miles from their landing point, and that the ground was riven by lethal chasms. The ground and objects were encrusted with volcanic deposits. In both instances there were mudbanks and vast shoals of dead fish."

I decided to search in either coordinate set for islands on a satellite image site and these were the results:

First Location

Second Location

On the first one it appears that there is an underwater landmass, and that a portion of it might be above water. The second one is less promising, but you never know...

Anyone have any information or ideas on the sighting, island, or images, any input is appreciated?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well, that is really rather interesting! The first thing that strikes me is a distinct similarity to the works of HP Lovecraft, specifically the call of Cthulhu and a few shorter ones. But, these accounts you say happened in the 1800's? I wonder if they might have been the inspiration for some of his tales...

This could bear further investigation.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The use of google earth and the like is great for this kind of speculation. I looked at your first area and I see the hill underwater. The land mass could have been above water in time's past. Many other areas on this earth could have been above water long ago.

I searched Flash Earth, from your link, to find other undersea anomalies and I came across a rather funny looking pattern.

Tell me if you can see the giant man with his arms spread out, in the area of Japan. The only problem with the image is that he has no legs. I wonder if this is a joke or just a coincidence?

Large undersea man

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I can sorta see it, but the human mind is designed to pick out familiar patterns... there is plenty of speculation about more of the Japan area being above water, just take a look at the controversy surrounding the Yonaguni area...

the thing that really intrigued me is that on the first link I posted it looks like a tiny bit of the land is above water (green or yellow in color as opposed to blue), depending on scale that might be several miles of land above the sea level... I'd love to get an expedition out there just to find out if it is above water, and if not, a diving team depending on the depths at which the land rests...

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The strange thing is, isn't the atlantic supposed to be rather flat and boring on the bottom, aside from the mid-atlantic ridge, due to the atlantic being created from continental drift and lacking in any volcanic activity to speak of? What are these rather-close-to-the-surface things doing out in the middle of nowhere, then? I, too, would love to see some investigation into this...

*imagines peering into the blue water of the atlantic and seeing some watery ruin 20 feet below*

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This is a really interesting subject I thnk should be looked into physically rather than through satellite maps. Could yield millions for the lucky salvager who gets there first... I'd do it right now, if it weren't for the fact I'm glued to this chair... oh, and I don't have a boat.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Celtic Commando
Could yield millions for the lucky salvager who gets there first...

That has to be one of the most sad things i have heard. Can humans think of nothing but capitalizing on sunken treasure? It would yield FAR more trillions in human knowledge, a sunken island full to the brim with the relics of a completely unknown (or perhaps well known) civilization! The resoundings throughout the historical community would be pounding! In fact, the area was probobly wiped clean decades ago in order to keep whatever knowledge it once held from falling into the public knowledge.

Remember: Ruins on island = refute idea that only highly civilized people in NA/SA were the aztecs/mayans etc = refutation of most established history = people don;t like to re-write history text-books, as has been seen.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Its one thing for the salvager to seek fortune in the form of being known worldwide for his discovery and I agree its rather shallow for the would-be salvager to be nothing more than a treasure seeker...

I'd really like to see some sort of expedition to the area, even if the island isn't above water there are still submarines that could likely reach it and we may get a look at the ruins of a civilization that became the thing of legends...

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Yes, an expedition would indeed by awesome. But how likely is that going to happen?

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Perhaps someone will stumble onto the island and will hear more about it that way... Perhaps some of these things are better left as mysteries, to spark the imagination of generations to come...

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
just goes to show you that not all of the earth has even been fully discovered

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
That has to be one of the most sad things i have heard. Can humans think of nothing but capitalizing on sunken treasure? It would yield FAR more trillions in human knowledge, a sunken island full to the brim with the relics of a completely unknown (or perhaps well known) civilization!

Yes, an expedition would indeed by awesome. But how likely is that going to happen?

Are you contradicting yourself here? Frowning on what I said, although I was just stating an advantage of such an expedition that would be the only reason such an expedition would be launched, then you saying you'd love to see one happen. What would be the point of a company making a voyage to the middle of the atlantic unless they were guaranteed to at least break even? Regardless of whoever does go out there and finds it, or whatever their reasons are, I think all artifacts found should be given to a museum.

Also, I'm sure everyone who has posted on this thread feels it would be a great idea for an expedition to be launched. As I said myself, I'd do it right now, if I had a boat.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I agree with your comment about how sad it is that people think of the monetary value of a find first. It just baffles my mind to imagine the wonder of finding history that has been lost - can you imagine!!
There are so many mysteries out there - sometimes I feel excited by the prospect, and other times, daunted. How I wish I could go and check this out myself.
I think that the oceans and the deserts have a vast store of history that we have yet to uncover.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Great Detective Work People!

I am very impressed with the Satallite Images, and I want you to forward a copy of your research to someone who will actually do something with the knowledge. Just saying that someone should do something isn't enough to get the ball rolling. Send it to the Cayce group or some adventurous college proffessor, or maybe even the discovery channel.

The Wealth and Riches is a great selling point that could get them to go out there in search of this lost civilization. Its a return on time and investment, and is important... just not as important as the knowlege of humanity.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Not sure who or what the cayce group is and Idk any profs... Discovery Channel eh, I'll have to do that, and if they don't take the bait maybe the Sci-Fi channel will...

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Celtic Commando, i am terribly sorry. I mistook your post to meaning that someone should go out there and salvage purely for profit. Terribly sorry, i just get rather irrationally defensive when i see potentially awesome discoveries having the possiblity of being looted or destroyed.

As for sending it to discovery channel, i may be paranoid, but that just seems like a very bad idea. Can you imagine what something like that in the middle of the atlantic would spell for human history? The Archaeological "community" would go out there, strip it, and cover it up completely.

There is, however, a project that it might be worthwile to point this out to, they are the ones researching the sunken city off of cuba and the possiblity of ruins in bimini. Give me a bit to look for it again, i think it was called "MEGA" or somesuch.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   

There is, however, a project that it might be worthwile to point this out to, they are the ones researching the sunken city off of cuba and the possiblity of ruins in bimini. Give me a bit to look for it again, i think it was called "MEGA" or somesuch.

Are you thinking of the morien institute.

Lets be perfectly honest, whether we like it or not, no one is going to put together an expedition that will more than likely involve marine archeaology technology and not want to make a profit from it.
An expedition of this size to somewhere in the Atlantic that may or may not be worthwhile would cost millions.
Even those who would do it for purely altruistic means need to get the cash from somewhere, and if its from investors then those investors will expect something in return. Its how the world works folks.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
www.nwidi.org...

Just the blog name was what stuck with me, but there are people mentioned there that would be the most likely to be worthwhile to contact.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I understand what u mean mojo4sale, but I can dream at least, and send off the information... no harm in trying, even when dealing with doomed causes...

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Interesting how they fall just where the island of Atlantis is supposed to have been. Any idea how someone would be able to get information on the depth those sea mounts are at? This looks like an interesting project.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join