It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Concept of "God"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What is your concept of God? Is he an omnipotent old man who lives in the sky, a fictional character, a universal force? Please share your thoughts.

Here is my concept of God.

God is the collective of all existance. The collective conciousness of an infinate universe, with the unlimited potential to give energy any form, and make it perform any action. God is a force of which we are all part.

However, God is not an indivdual being. God does not act on the behalf of anyone. God does not take action, does not need to be worshipped, not should it be worshipped. God exists in an everlasting sense, at a spiritual level, it is ever-changing. It is chaotic in the sense that is accomodates the collective interpretation of every individual at a microcosmic level, and yet maintains a macrocosmic "True" form.

It is the life that flows through all living things. It has no defined shape, yet exists in every potential form. God is a creative force of unlimited potential and abundance. It does not destroy things, it transforms them, giving them a new state. It is the most basic essence of nature. Undertsanding God is to understand nature, which is to understand yourself, for you are part of nature, a part of God. Within each of us exists in miniature form everything else. In our perception we act as God over our universe, whereas God fulfills that role in a macrocosmic sense.

God does not play favorites. However, we are all in varying degrees of unconciousness in relation to God, and the ways of nature. Therefore, in this state, we have very little, if any interaction with that universal level of existance. We experience little brief glimpses of this when we have a moment of clarity and understanding, where our minds expand beyond this form. These moments of clarity most often occur after meditation, in or around water, before sleep, after reading something inspirational, etc.

What is your interpretation of this concept?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
My concept? There is no such thing.

There's the universe, there's the sum total of matter and energy within it, and there is us as the only conscious beings I know of.

I actually find the word "god" to be distasteful these days because it's being used so much in politics, where it has no business being.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreySwordsman
What is your concept of God? Is he an omnipotent old man who lives in the sky, a fictional character, a universal force? Please share your thoughts.

Unknown to the omagination gs. So unlike our Universe that He cannot be fully comprehended except through His attributes.

God is the collective of all existance. The collective conciousness of an infinate universe, with the unlimited potential to give energy any form, and make it perform any action. God is a force of which we are all part.

Are we figments in the imagination of God then?

However, God is not an indivdual being. God does not act on the behalf of anyone. God does not take action, does not need to be worshipped, not should it be worshipped. God exists in an everlasting sense, at a spiritual level, it is ever-changing. It is chaotic in the sense that is accomodates the collective interpretation of every individual at a microcosmic level, and yet maintains a macrocosmic "True" form.

Is this close to Spinozan pantheism or to Sheldrakes collective identity?

It is the life that flows through all living things. It has no defined shape, yet exists in every potential form. God is a creative force of unlimited potential and abundance. It does not destroy things, it transforms them, giving them a new state. It is the most basic essence of nature. Undertsanding God is to understand nature, which is to understand yourself, for you are part of nature, a part of God. Within each of us exists in miniature form everything else. In our perception we act as God over our universe, whereas God fulfills that role in a macrocosmic sense.

This is a beautiful vision, I have to say. However, how does the non causative agent transform without causation?

God does not play favorites. However, we are all in varying degrees of unconciousness in relation to God, and the ways of nature. Therefore, in this state, we have very little, if any interaction with that universal level of existance. We experience little brief glimpses of this when we have a moment of clarity and understanding, where our minds expand beyond this form. These moments of clarity most often occur after meditation, in or around water, before sleep, after reading something inspirational, etc.

What is your interpretation of this concept?

As I said before - a beautiful and harmonious spiritual vision. Where does spirit and soul appear in this explanation? Without time existing, because it makes no philosophical or scientific sense, cause and effect are wiped out. Without local or on-local reality in practise we may be the 'centres' of a stream of consciousness, a constructed reality. In moments of clarity, an 'other' is recognised and this shadow world disappears. At least this is what I believe at the moment about God.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
imo, 'god' does not exist. over the ages for various reasons, i think stories and beliefs(that were created by man) was passed down and over time, as people started to get smater, more greedy, etc, they figured out that this would be a great way to control people in one way or another.

so to make it short, my concept of 'god' is that it/he is the all time greatest burn mankind has ever seen.
if there are intelligent beings out there(and i believe there are) then they are pointing their long arse evolved philanges at us and lol'ing their bootays off at us for conntinuing to be duped by such a story.

that is my concept...

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0

Are we figments in the imagination of God then?

No, we are the same. We exist in the same way that God exists. Think of the individual person as a drop of water in the ocean. The drop it real. The ocean is real. The drops make up the ocean.

Is this close to Spinozan pantheism or to Sheldrakes collective identity?

I am familiar with neither, so I cannot compare.

This is a beautiful vision, I have to say. However, how does the non causative agent transform without causation?

Causality is a key principle of the universal, each change has cause. But when I described it initially I left a few things out. The effect to a given cause is more readily apparent in this denser world. When concerning other levels of existance an effect may apparently take a longer period of time to unfold, but it still occurs. Things change as items are acted upon, and through a process of "evolution" if you will. Nothing lasts forever, it's state must change. The individual cause to every effect that may occur is beyond my ability to list.

As I said before - a beautiful and harmonious spiritual vision. Where does spirit and soul appear in this explanation? Without time existing, because it makes no philosophical or scientific sense, cause and effect are wiped out. Without local or on-local reality in practise we may be the 'centres' of a stream of consciousness, a constructed reality. In moments of clarity, an 'other' is recognised and this shadow world disappears. At least this is what I believe at the moment about God.

Spirit exists as the life force that permeates existance. Soul represents the conciousness/experience of the individual. I have a thread about this in the paranormal section "The Difference Between Spirit And Soul" if you are interested.

Time exists as a tool for our "unevolved" minds to assign order to things. If we percieved everything that ever happened or will happen anywhere all at once we wouldn't be able to make sense of it. It is placed there by our minds to preserve us until our minds expand enough to accept the information. Ideally, all time exists in the present. The most a person can generlaly hope to reach is a level where at any given moment they are not thinking about the past or future, only what is occuring now.

As stated earlier, cause and effect exist in much the same as science accepts it, and at additional levels to boot.

Here is a basic principle I use often. Everything that exists or can exists is energy in some form or another. As it is energy, it is all interconnected at some level, all the same, all made up of the same stuff. This energy has the unlimited potential to take any form, or perform any action.

But what makes energy take a form, or perform an action? The Mind. Thought drives energy. The mind subconciously takes care of my heart pumpin, my body working. If I have an idea, it manipulates my body so that I can communicate the concept if I so choose. Beyond that, if we want to achieve something, it begins as a thoughts, and from there, that idea eventually may take form, if we apply the effort to see it done.

The mind is driven by desire. Desire to build, sleep, fight, live, eat, whatever. Desire drives the mind. Desire drives thought, which gives energy a specific form, or purpose.

If desire is driven by yet another force, I have yet to adequately percieve or define it, so I won't attempt to explain this for you at the time.

I hope this explanation of my concept helps you understand better.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
"god" is a concept invented by the bronze age man to give a reason to his existance. that's all. I reject any kind of theistic beliefs, in particular abrahamic monotheism. the universe never had a beginning, and life is explained by evolution, there is no need for a creating divinity.

the only "god" I could imagine to exist would not be a "god" in the traditionnal sense, it would not be an individual person. It would be the sum of consciousness and life, call it "great spirit" or "nirvana". In that sense, the universe is one, everything is interconnected.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
god is the almighty gap filler,
derrrrr.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a god is a thing people invent because they're too lazy to learn the truth or too impatient to wait for it to be found

new topics

top topics

join