It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus 'hybrids' can act as nanoscale memory devices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Virus 'hybrids' to act as nanoscale memory devices

A new type of memory device has been made by researchers in the US and Italy by attaching individual viruses to tiny specks of semiconducting material called quantum dots. The "hybrid" material could be used to develop biocompatible electronics and offer a cheap and simple way to make high-density memory chips, the researchers say.

The scientists say the device works by transferring charge from the CPMV's capsid to the nanoparticle when an electric field is applied. The thin zinc sulphide capping layer on the quantum dots stabilises the trapped charges so that they can be stored. In theory, this could lead to high-density storage, because each individual hybrid could be a single storage unit and millions would fit into a space just a few centimetres square.

While this is seemingly scary, it does offer a glimpse of what we could experience in the future with regard to super intelligent nano-scale robots patroling our bodies as well as the planet.

If researchers can make these virii harmless enough to release into the bodies of humans, or into the air, we might have a way to directly attack cancer cells or sap the strength out of a forming hurricane.

The limits to nanotech seem to be far reaching. Lets hope that this tech continues to grow positively, and that researchers can use it to help create a safer and more eco-friendly planet.

Do you see this as bad or good for humanity?

I think it is good, how about you?

[edit on 8/1/07 by Don Wahn]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Very interesting stuff although I was just wondering if you have the name of this company thats developing this?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Nanophobia

Great story. Another barrier between life and non-life hurdled.

You'll have the Last Days legions up here in a minute though:

The "hybrid" material could be used to develop biocompatible electronics and offer a cheap and simple way to make high-density memory chips, the researchers say.

That's from the article you posted.

One step closer to the Mark of the Beast, they'll say. High-density, organically compatible RFID chip embedded in your hand or forehead, lookit boys, here comes the Ho of Babylon.

Me, I'm all for it, though I think this technology will need to be integrated with others before it can realize its full potential. That will come. In fact, it's well on the way; here's another brilliant discovery along the same lines; the story was linked to in the article you posted.

Molecular 'Switch' Connects Biology to Silicon

The "hybrid" material could be used to develop biocompatible electronics and offer a cheap and simple way to make high-density memory chips, the researchers say.

Yum, brave new world on the way.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
....the beginnings of artifical DNA for future biological manufactured robots....

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
While it sounds great about getting new technology and making things smaller, more compact, etc.

I'm just afraid that somehow some processing mistake will happen and viruses will get a chance to mutate and kill us more effectively ;-P

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
"A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories...."

anyone?.. Anyone?

yes, it's a brave new world we're living in.

new topics

top topics

join