It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you NOT believe in God?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I think that faith is a gift. Some people believe, some people don't...maybe they're meant to/not meant to, for different reasons. Everybody has their own way of thinking and looking at the world.

Personally, I don't believe in God because I have solid scientific proof of Him, I believe in God because I see His effects everywhere.

For example, scientists can't take love and show me physical proof that love exists. If I wanted to see the molecules or the genes or the chemical compounds that make up love, they wouldn't exist. I believe in love because I can see it shown and displayed, and so everytime I go outside and see the wildlife, or the beautiful patterns in nature, I know that God exists.

For example. Bugs can't see themselves, they can't look in a mirror and recognize themselves as far as I know. I'm supposed to believe that certain bugs just EVOLVED to have camoflauged bodies, or faces on their wings to scare off enemies? There's a billion things that show proof of a designer, not simply Earth being an 'accident'.

I.m.h.o.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by selinakyle]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
In the sense that God is simply a human construct used to represent love, goodness, and/or enlightenment, sure, I believe "he" (or rather, "it") exists. It exists because human thought/conciousness exists.

In the sense God created the Universe, no, because a concept does not not have the power to create matter.

[edit on 8/3/2007 by prototism]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
wow something i gotta throw in here there is proof that God exist some of you are just to stubborn to look at it 50% of creationist scientist dont start out that way anymore.the idea that there is no God is going out the window with the rapid increase of those investigating intelligent design.if your gonna use old fact use them for the right reason.people believed the rain thunder earthquakes came from multiple deities cause they didnt know any better well people got better.just as soon over time people will get better over this no God thing.because there may be some isolated people somewhere that believe that the world is still flat or that dinosaurs are just off on some monster island in the middle the the vast see.you that don't believe in God gotta realize it's just like them one day there will be no one left that thinks God isn't real get over it already evidence of God existed first that is science fact the one that brainiacs use....atheist use their faux-science to dissprove anything Godly

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by prototism
In the sense God created the Universe, no, because a concept does not not have the power to create matter.

Can you prove this? I have heard significant theories that thought can manifest into matter. Surely an all powerful being like a God is capable of manifesting physical reality through the simple process of thought.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:29 AM
link   
If god was real there would be less men in the world and more women.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mark2
If god was real there would be less men in the world and more women.

I guess your wish is 'God's command...There are more women in the world.

How can one not believe in God?

Easy. There's no tangible proof (for most) that a higher power exists. God doesn't have to exist if one believes that science is all there is.

I personally think its a relatively closed minded way of looking at the world though.

And I'm sure many atheists and what not are going to call me closed minded for disagreeing with their point of view
. Of course.

The divine is within all of us. To not see beauty is to not understand one's own reality.

I admit I do not follow organized religion. Does that make me any less 'spiritual' or worthy of love? I would hope not.

If most of you here who do not believe in God do so because either

A). You do not wish to follow a religion

B). You have never taken the time to think about it

or

C). Are too self-centered and wish that one's actions are meaningless and therefore are free to do what one pleases

I feel sorry for you.

I truly do.

God does not need to be found in religion. I have spent most of my life in search of the divine independent of religion. You can too.

If you haven't taken the time out to ponder your true reality, why not start now?

I have thoughts of the divine every day and during the course of a typical one I spend a large amount of time questioning my reality.

It cannot hurt to believe in something higher than oneself. To think that science, a man-made concept, has all the answers is insane.

To think that religion, a man-made concept, has all the answers is equally insane.

The two need to meet in the middle, although I'd prefer to leave organized religion out of the deal.

Spirit and Science must come to an agreement, find middle ground. In my opinion, the true nature of science is understanding the ultimate reality. Well, the ultimate reality involves Spirit. To ignore the divine in the world (humans, animals/plants, and even our own planet/solar system) is the same as ignoring a part of oneself that is staring you right in the face.

To look into a pond and see nothing staring back at you...

If life is utterly meaningless and there is no point, you might as well end it now.

There is no afterlife right? So why bother living?

Oh right, you're supposed to enjoy it now and cause as much havoc and destruction while you still can.

No point in saving the Earth for future generations right, you won't be alive?

Might as well go on a rampage and destroy the planet. Who cares right?

No one is going to hold you accountable and there's no ultimate creator/higher power.

Live how you chose to.

End of rant....

'How can you NOT believe in God?'

What a great topic.

How can you not?

Its simple, as I have stated.

What is truly hard, is accepting that we are not alone and you are held accountable for every action and inaction. To live as if someone/thing is always watching and waiting for you to make the right decision.

A lot of people are afraid. Afraid that they may be held accountable. Well, newsflash, every action is recorded. Whether you like it or not.

I am not proud of a lot of things in my past, and even things that continue with my present.

But I do try to change. I have changed. I will continue to change. All facts of life.

To ignore change is to dismiss the ability to grow. With growth comes a greater connection to the ONE, First Source.

Call it what you will.

I agree 'God' has a lot of preconceived notions attached with it.

Drop all your dogma and beliefs.

Bask in the ray of the ONE for a few minutes, even if you don't believe.

Try just for a minute. Truly believe you are not alone and there is something higher. I guarantee you will be changed. Forever.

You will connect with your higher power, however you view it. And we all have different concepts and understandings. Your God will come to you how you wish to interact.

And there is no wrong way of connecting. For some it means going on a hike in nature, others involves entering a trance state while drumming, for others it is literature, for others talking to fellow beings.

None of it is wrong.

'Seek and you shall find.'

[edit on 3-8-2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by selinakyle
For example. Bugs can't see themselves, they can't look in a mirror and recognize themselves as far as I know. I'm supposed to believe that certain bugs just EVOLVED to have camoflauged bodies, or faces on their wings to scare off enemies? There's a billion things that show proof of a designer, not simply Earth being an 'accident'.

I.m.h.o.

If earth isn't an accident, why isn't it special? It's just a rock, orbiting an average star, which is on the rim of the milky way, an average galaxy (there are billions of other galaxies just like the milky way), that is floating around in an infinite universe...

About evolution, I used to believe the exact same thing as you. But that belief is wrong. You are looking at the "final product".

Say you have a big garden with lots of different species. Now you close this off so that no living being can enter or exit the garden. Then you introduce a small population of black beetles into the garden and watch. The beetles, being black, will be easily picked off by birds or lizards and their population will start to diminish. Now if you wait a long time, there might be an error in the DNA copying (a mutation) that will give the new beetles a green color. These will be harder to see in the vegetation and will survive longer than the black beetles. Eventually this succesful gene will spread to most of the population.

The insect does not know what color it is, it doesn't decide to develop a different color, it doesn't chose. evolution is blind.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana

Originally posted by prototism

Can you prove this? I have heard significant theories that thought can manifest into matter. Surely an all powerful being like a God is capable of manifesting physical reality through the simple process of thought.

I don't necessarily disagree, and I cant prove it, but I suppose I was trying to say man created "God", since, IMO, it is nothing more than a human construct. That is, "God" wouldn't exist if humans didn't exist. And if humans weren't here, I highly doubt the Universe would just cease to exist. That is just arrogant to think the existance of the Universe depends on our own existence.

Second, our brain is just evolved/specialized enough to be able to ponder things in (infinitely more) detail than just about every other animal. That is, the concept of "God" is nothing more than a coping skill we use (and invented) to help us give purpose in life beyond the primal desire to reproduce. It is yet a nother example of human arrogance, and a way to make us feel superior to the other animals of the world.

EDIT:
Although, I suppose you could also ask, "If humans invented God, what's to say we also didn't invent the Universe itself?" In that case, if humans didn't exist, God nor the Universe would either.

That would mean the only thing that truly exists is human conciousness. Whether or not it is a collective, is an entirely different issue.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
Do we really need this thread when there is already a 13-page thread called How can you honestly believe in God? ?

There are also probably several better places for it than the paranormal forum.

I agree, there are other forum areas for this kind of discussion.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by thestatue
just as soon over time people will get better over this no God thing.because there may be some isolated people somewhere that believe that the world is still flat or that dinosaurs are just off on some monster island in the middle the the vast see.you that don't believe in God gotta realize it's just like them one day there will be no one left that thinks God isn't real get over it already evidence of God existed first that is science fact the one that brainiacs use....atheist use their faux-science to dissprove anything Godly

Huh? Really? Wow!

So, even though, throughout history, Gods come and go with the times, somehow through it all, God IS in fact real? But what of all the previous gods? They were all false? And the is some sort of scientific fact now to the proof of the Almighty? Awesome!

It is harder for one to admit that they do not know. Blind faith is the downfall of man. It borders on insanity. So many Gods so little time. Who is right and who is wrong? Maybe we all are.

Like I already said before. I do not know and now I must make it my mission to tell you that you do not know as well? Nah, just kidding. You are free to believe whatever you want.

The sooner that the world shrugs off the shroud of organized religion the better. It forces one to not think, it forces one to become complacent and not be open to anything else but what they believe and that everyone and everything else is wrong . . .

[edit on 8/3/2007 by bobafett1972]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by selinakyle

For example, scientists can't take love and show me physical proof that love exists.
[edit on 3-8-2007 by selinakyle]

And what is the science of love got to do with god?

Religion is a criminal, they sell love they don't understand.
And many no understand people fall into the trap.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972

Originally posted by thestatue
just as soon over time people will get better over this no God thing.because there may be some isolated people somewhere that believe that the world is still flat or that dinosaurs are just off on some monster island in the middle the the vast see.you that don't believe in God gotta realize it's just like them one day there will be no one left that thinks God isn't real get over it already evidence of God existed first that is science fact the one that brainiacs use....atheist use their faux-science to dissprove anything Godly

Huh? Really? Wow!

So, even though, throughout history, Gods come and go with the times, somehow through it all, God IS in fact real? But what of all the previous gods? They were all false? And the is some sort of scientific fact now to the proof of the Almighty? Awesome!

It is harder for one to admit that they do not know. Blind faith is the downfall of man. It borders on insanity. So many Gods so little time. Who is right and who is wrong? Maybe we all are.

Like I already said before. I do not know and now I must make it my mission to tell you that you do not know as well? Nah, just kidding. You are free to believe whatever you want.

The sooner that the world shrugs off the shroud of organized religion the better. It forces one to not think, it forces one to become complacent and not be open to anything else but what they believe and that everyone and everything else is wrong . . .

[edit on 8/3/2007 by bobafett1972]

One god has been around since the begining of time. He is still around today.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by The_Guardian_Crystalzone]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Guardian_Crystalzone

One god has been around since the begining of time. He is still around today.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by The_Guardian_Crystalzone]

You base this statement on what? To my knowledge there is no written material that could back this claim up. All one has to do is look at the bible and see the Old and New Testament. Not only is it blantantly obvious that there seems to be two totally different Gods, one a vengeful God, the other a supposed God of love? Then there are remarks such as, "Thou shall have no other Gods before me." So is God admitting that there are others? Or is this just a construct of man? Since most if not all of the old testament is borrowed from long standing stories in other cultures, how can if be fact, let alone one true God? I won't even go in to the manipulation of text in the new testament.

So, if you claim that there has only ever been one true God, where is the evidence to back up said statement?

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
There is no difference in God in the old testament as compared to the new.
Ananais(sp?) and Sapphira were killed by the holy spirit for lying in church under Peters' leadership.
It's a new covenant. In the first covenant, we had to have sacrifices of animals for forgiveness, but after Jesus died for us, That was it. ONE time forever.
God wanted everyone saved in the old testament too, but they split off after the flood, rejected him and not many Israelites would evangelize or pray for them. Remember Jonah?
God had a people for himself in the Israelites, a city (Jerusalem) and thier military armies that did as God directed, though not very often.
After thier backsliding had gone too far for revival, God sent Jesus to usher in the new covenant. Jesus was God, yet separate. He said "I and the father are one" also "If you have seen me you have seen the father".
God came himself to die for our SORRY selfs!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Odd.

What about the hundreds of thousands of years before all of this?
What about the civilizations that were around thousands of years before?
Their Gods were not your Gods. They were not the same Gods. Just as the ancient Egyptians God was not your God. Every culture has created a deity. But there is no one true God. If there were there wouldn't be all of this bloodshed for nothing.

There is no historical proof that ANYONE was slain by the holy spirit as you call it.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
Say you have a big garden with lots of different species. Now you close this off so that no living being can enter or exit the garden. Then you introduce a small population of black beetles into the garden and watch. The beetles, being black, will be easily picked off by birds or lizards and their population will start to diminish. Now if you wait a long time, there might be an error in the DNA copying (a mutation) that will give the new beetles a green color. These will be harder to see in the vegetation and will survive longer than the black beetles. Eventually this succesful gene will spread to most of the population.

The insect does not know what color it is, it doesn't decide to develop a different color, it doesn't chose. evolution is blind.

I have nothing to add to the discussion, just that this is THE most perfect explanation of evolution I have ever read. Credit where credit is due - Excellent post. Simple yet so effective.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Well, I could never get my head around WHY did Jesus have to die for God to forgive humans? That's one grumpy unforgiving God... pfft

Jesus - God - Holy Spirit, the one and same right?
So let's change Jesus for God.

God sacrifice God in order for God to forgive humans? wow thats logic for you.

The bible is full of errors that make no sense it's jibberish that you cannot understand unless you allready believe it when you read it. sigh

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nostradamouse
(1) but how can you deny the existence of some higher being?

(2) The entire universe points toward the intervention of the divine.

1. No evidence. It's pretty easy to "deny" the existence of something with no supporting evidence. Do you deny the existence of the easter bunny ?

2. Oh really ?

I keep hearing about these all loving all knowing all powerful gods but when I look around I see war, famine, disease and other tragedies.

A bridge falls and people thank god they didn't get killed. What about the people who did ? God didn't love them ?

A hurricane hits Louisiana and people thank god that they are alive. Oh yes, thank you god for destroying my home, most of my state and killing countless numbers of people but hey at least I'm alive.

Thank you god for a sun that causes cancer.

There is no such thing as god, it's all made up.

edit: I was a Christian till I was about 22 and have read a lot of the bible, tread lightly.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by discomfit]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nostradamouse
Seriously folks. Maybe you don't believe in God, but how can you deny the existence of some higher being? The entire universe points toward the intervention of the divine.

A higher being, and who is higher than that? there is someone always top of the ladder.
So maybe we in our human limited mental capacities - cannot fathom what the 'order' of the universe is about.

We put it in our terms - God is a 'he' - God is a 'something' (when there is a lot of 'nothing'), etc.

So this debate is useless really. There is not God...not the way we think of it.
But there is obviously something more complex than we can imagine...the 'unknowable God known through its attributes.' :-)

Peace

dAlen

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
These threads really are quite pointless and no real resolution is ever going to be made.

The fact of the matter is that there is no clear, absolute, defining evidence for the existence for a God, and there is non to disprove it's existence either. All threads like this eventually create is a painful back-and-forth of believers and non believers, aimlessly calling their opinion when niether side will change their minds.

When it comes to things like the existence of God, I think it best to just leave the topic alone, and leave each to their own.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join