It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atlanta Housing Law Called 'Racist' by Hispanics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

11 Alive

ATLANTA (AP) -- A Metro Atlanta county commission passed a code amendment Tuesday night to limit how many adults live in a house and how many cars can be parked outside it -- one of two proposals viewed by immigrant rights groups as anti-immigrant legislation.

The Cobb County Commission approved the housing restrictions by a 5-0 vote but delayed action on an ordinance governing on how day laborers can be hired until next month's meeting.

The housing law requires that each adult living in a house has at least 390 square feet of building space, up from the current minimum of 50 square feet. It would also prohibit more than two unrelated adults and their children or grandchildren from living there. It would define family as parents, children, grandparents, grandchildren, brothers and sisters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is ridiculous. How can someone think they can house 15 people in a single family home? Of course the neighbors are upset, and it's not because of their race...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

11 Alive

It would also prohibit more than two unrelated adults and their children or grandchildren from living there. It would define family as parents, children, grandparents, grandchildren, brothers and sisters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is ridiculous. How can someone think they can house 15 people in a single family home? Of course the neighbors are upset, and it's not because of their race...

This is absolute bull, nobody should tell you how many people you want to live with. What if I am a polygamist and have several girlfriends living with me, does the government think they can tell me how many women I can live with?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I fail to see how this is racially motivated.

Ok, yes some immigrants, Mexican, Asian and Eastern European can be large,
but it's not the rule.

I have to say, I agree with the ordinance/law.
Tons of cars are a nuisance and an eyesore, something I know all to well (I swear
there are like 4 cars to a house in my neighborhood), and houses are only meant
to hold so many people, sort of like how elevators have a maximum capacity,
and if it pertains to renting, well you really don't have a say unless it was'nt
part of the agreement when you moved in.

Oh, and Lecter I'm not sure about it, but I think what they're saying is that a
house that is 390 sq ft. or less can not have any more people than it said, it probably
increases with the size of the house.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I am in a position to speak from experience on this one, because my family has seen its ups and downs.

150 feet per person- 3 times what has been allowed up till now in Atlanta is absolutely unlivable.

When you've got the trash generated by 14 people coming out of one house, and the same reasons that they choose to live that way stop them from renting a proper garbage bin, it's not an inconvenience, it's a public health problem.

If any of you want to defend the rights of people to warehouse themselves by the dozen in a single-family dwelling because they are afraid of the background check that goes with renting their own place, or because they are blowing all of their money either on drugs or gambling or wire transfers to Mexico- I don't care on what purpose really- then you need to be where I've been.

Until you, as an 11 year old kid, have to wade through maggots so thick that you honestly can't believe there is concrete underfoot, in order to load up 4 truckloads of months-old garbage because everyone but your mom is too lazy to do it or too filthy to care if it gets done and you don't think she should have to do it alone... until then I don't mean to be holier than thou, but you couldn't possibly know what in the hell you are talking about if you think that people have a right to live however they want on the basis that they are only hurting themselves. They are not only hurting themselves.

I'm Mr. Individual Sovreignty. I absolutely believe that people can do whatever the hell they want with themselves.
If somebody wants to cut off his weak arm because he doesn't like having to pay to feed those muscles and keep that extra skin warm, i'll hold his coat while he does it, even if I do think he's an idiot.

But when you live in conditions that will necessarily bring disease-carrying pests into your neighborhood, will put you at risk for spreading illness to others you come in contact with, and will be unhealthy for any children living with you, you are not just making a decision for yourself. You are creating a condition that affects the public and you are well within the reach of legitimate government authority.

By the way, the average prison cell is 70 square feet. Keep that in mind when considering the old standard of 50 square feet per person.
Heck, maybe I've just stumbled on the real reason for the correlation between crime and poverty: People want more space and privacy than they can get at home!

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You have to give the man a thumbs up for doing his job in a very profesional and business like way. tons of praise all over the media about him with the exception of what is coming from illegals. Many say other sheriffs should follow his example because he is using the federal law as it was intended to be used.

Officers Trained by FEDs

Jail focuses on Deportation of illgals

Cobb County Jail clamps down on illegal aliens

top topics

join