It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Sen. proposes State-Sponsored Censorship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   

NY Sen. proposes State-Sponsored Censorship

www.thejournalnews.com

During the first of two planned forums on the topic, Thompson said he would draft a decency policy, which media companies could review and adopt. If they reject it, he said, he would introduce a bill that would require the state Comptroller's Office to sell the stock the state pension fund holds in the companies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I consider this absolutely frightening.

According to the website of the State Comptroller seen here the NYS retirement fund is intended to invest and make money for nearly 1 million retirees to insure they are able to collect their pensions upon retirement.

Now we have a State Senator (with all of 6 months experience) who wants to use that fund to intimidate media companies into bowing to a new set of "rules."

In the article he mentions that he wants certain words forbidden and if they are not abided by, the Fund should immediately divest from those media companies.

Not surprisingly Senator Thompson cites as his main concern: "Don Imus."

Thankfully, at the bottom of the article it appears that the Comptroller, in whos hands the pension fund lies does nothing more than say "let me know how it goes", but I believe this is a genuine cause for concern.

Are we morphing into the Soviet Union? Broadcast what we deem benign or we will try to run you out of business?

www.thejournalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
These United States are very quickly becoming something that shares no resembles to the myth of America on TV and held in the minds of most Americans.

For a long time now the myth of America has been vastly different from the reality on the ground but in the past few years this trend has increased very rapidly and shows no signs of slowing.

Time to get a passport ?

Just in case I mean

[edit on 1-8-2007 by discomfit]

join