It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 US GI's Killed in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:04 PM
link   
CNN is being quiet about this, but I will assume this is the reason more troops will be sent to Afghanistan before Christmas. The web site is in Russian...... but the story you can find on the left, reported at 19:07.

www.utro.ru...

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Hmm,I can't even find anything about this in Afghan newspapers/websites.

I don't suppose you could translate?

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Well technically the Russians couldn't find anything in Russian papers either, because the article is of Iranian origin. It is an Iranian source that they are getting their information from, so I'm not too sure it isn't biased towards making the Americans look bad.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I got a friend in the army and he is in the army and he was in Afghanistan. He's a medic and he told me 20 soldiers are killed or injured every day, but CNN never mentiones the bad things, because otherwise they will blame america

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Yeah, but I doubt they are actually "wounded" or killed often by enemies. You'd be amazed at how many accidents the military has. My friend was telling me when he was in AIT of how one of the Tank Comanders, was recieving a coaxis machine gun (.50 cal) and the guy handing it to him forgot to check the chamber, they accidentally dropped it and it sent that commander flying near 20 feet with no benifit of a back to break his fall.

Wouldn't surprise me if those wounded and killed are by mines and stupidity/erroneous mistakes

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 04:48 PM
link   
"20 soldiers killed or wounded every day"????

Okay... that makes it some 6,500 (or so) soldiers killed or wounded over there in the past year or so. That's 1/10th (if memory serves) of the forces there.

Don't you think someone would have NOTICED by now?

The military isn't very fond of situations where their expensive-to-train recruits and officers are being killed at a high rate. These people are too hard to replace.

I believe that during the heaviest fighting, yes, up to 20 men per day were being wounded (and a very few being killed.) But I have a hard time believing that this continues.

(really... look at it from a military standpoint... you just don't stand around with your thumbs in your ears if you're sustaining that sort of loss. It's too hard to get the troops and too much of a waste of good resources.)

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 04:54 PM
link   
i from a military town and most of the military here are station there and i havent heard a thing when the last person was killed from here it was all over the place(actually it was a parent of a girl im my school) but chances are that it could have been some 1 from here and i havent heard a thing probly afgani propaganda

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Hmm,I can't even find anything about this in Afghan newspapers/websites.

I don't suppose you could translate?

At least 40 American military personnel were lost or have received wounds in Saturday night in the east of Afghanistan as a result of sudden attack of the talibs and "AL-QAIDA".

Divisions of USA were based in the settlement Shigel' located between cities of Dzhelallabad and Asdabad.

the attackers that are unknown, before the realization of maneuvers of the USA military personnel, have brought down on them squall of fire from the long-range automatic weapon and rocket installations.

In the area of the bombardment for realization of the action of prosecution and destruction the attackers has already landed a scuad of American militarians. They have fired at the area in which there was an attack. but the possible data of the victims did not arrive yet.

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 07:18 PM
link   
NO U.S. soldiers were injured during the shootout in western Afghanistan, but at least 11 Afghans were killed in factional fighting, U.S. and local officials said....

www.msnbc.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Ahhhh........ so one source has one story, another source has a different story. So who to believe?

This does not surprise me.

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 09:12 AM
link   
hmmmmm...I dunno maybe he told me some sh**

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Who to believe?

Okay... do a little thought experiment: pretend you're a parent. One afternoon, a car pulls up in front of your house. An MP (military police, who has had training dealing with hysterical people... that's why he's there) and a chaplain get out of the car. They come to the door and say, "I'm sorry to inform you but your son has been killed in fighting in Afghanistan."

After the shock of the announcement wears off, you look for news about the fight to try and understand what went on. Is your kid dead? Yes, they ship him home in a box and there's the identification process. And a week has gone by and there's no mention of the incident that caused his death anywhere.

Your hometown newspaper does a sympathetic article on your kid's death... and the reporter says he/she hasn't heard anything about the fight leading to any American deaths.

Now, speaking for most parents here, at this point I'd darn sure want some explainations. I didn't get them, I'd storm the newspapers and radio shows till I found a reporter who would listen and investigate.

So... you've got a Russian newspaper with mysterious sources saying that a lot of soldiers were killed. You've got a US news story saying no Americans were killed. There's not one peep from American families. No hometown stories (on Dogpile news search) about grieving parents and children in the service killed during a recent fight.

Who ya gonna believe?

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I cannot understand why the American press/Govt. would want to keep casualties a secret. When you go to war, soldiers will die. You can't pick a fight with dedicated soldiers who have been indoctrinated to fight to the death, and expect no deaths. Fatalities are a part of war.

I doubt that there have been very many casualties, as there hasn't been much fighting in Afghanistan, but I'm sure we haven't been informed of all of them

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 03:47 PM
link   
List of servicemen and women killed in Afghanistan :

US Deaths in Afghanistan

[Edited on 2-12-2002 by mad scientist]

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 10:39 AM
link   
yup here ya go. Not as many as I told you, but quite alot

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well, by my count, that's 40 total...not 40 a day. And you wonder how rumors get started, eh?

top topics

join