It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whos Minding your Mind or how to Steer The Crowd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Whos Minding your Mind or how to Steer The Crowd

www.nytimes.com

Psychologists say that “priming” people in this way is not some form of hypnotism, or even subliminal seduction; rather, it’s a demonstration of how everyday sights, smells and sounds can selectively activate goals or motives that people already have.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Some places are all ready using smells on bus Ads.,while using colors to evoke emotion is pretty old hat. Let me smell some old crayolas and I become a babbling 3 year old., hec they ready have smell emulators that can be transmitted..what if you are pissed off. hehehehe..Seriously, its amazing how much research is done in finding out how to get you to do something..Did they ever think of just asking? what a concept.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Asking is so last century. The name of the game is manufactured consent.

We now return you to your regular mind numbing...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Awesome find. Thanks for the link. Flagged.

I have been studying this topic only recently. Trying to delve into my inner-mind. I have had some recent success with meditation and learned some fascinating things about myself in terms of "ego" not letting me totally relax or enter deeper state.

The one quote from the article really got my attention:

The give and take between these unconscious choices and our rational, conscious aims can help explain some of the more mystifying realities of behavior, like how we can be generous one moment and petty the next, or act rudely at a dinner party when convinced we are emanating charm.

Source: www.nytimes.com...

I can really relate to that, especially when alcohol is involved. People always say things like..."he is an angry drunk", "she is a happy drunk".

How does our "drunk" self relate to our true spirit and inner-being? Do we really show our true colors when we are drunk? Do we mask our true feelings when we are sober so as not to hurt someone's feelings?

Hope this applies to the OP, but I am trying to get a handle on my many self(s).

regards.....kk

[edit on 1-8-2007 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This type of research has been going on for a long time in the cognitive psych field, dating back to the old Deese word lists in the late 1950s, and we are just now adapting it to some broader reaching applications, such as those discussed in the article.

Below, I have linked an abstract of one of the prominent experiments in this area. I apologize that the abstract is written in APA jargon, but the conclusion is alot of fun, and its just one example of how memories, or 'goodness' ratings, in the case of the above article, are at least partially exploitable, based on the intentions of the researcher (read: advertiser.)

The results reveal a powerful illusion of memory: People remember events that never happened

content.apa.org...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Its fascinating and a little scary how closely we are studied by marketers. We are so easy to bend, the problem is that half the time we aren't aware of it.

I'm a designer and art director by profession and I can tell you that a well designed flyer is far more well thought out than you'd think. Balance, colour, weighting even the spaces between individual letters are tools for changing a persons perceptions.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by discomfit
Asking is so last century. The name of the game is manufactured consent.

We now return you to your regular mind numbing...

or act rudely at a dinner party when convinced we are emanating charm.

You now only exist in the eyes of the beholder (of the clipboard (who then only exists in the eye of another beholder (who then only exists in the eye of another beholder) (who then only exists in the eye of another beholder) (who then only exists in the eye of another beholder))))

Will the madness never end (so long as there are brackets there is stuff to put in em)

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

How does our "drunk" self relate to our true spirit and inner-being? Do we really show our true colors when we are drunk? Do we mask our true feelings when we are sober so as not to hurt someone's feelings?

When I'm drunk, my voice gets deep and harsh, I only speak in quick sentences I become jaded, and completely unsympathetic... stick a cigar in my mouth and I'll come across as a retired commando.

Never been angry while drunk... just... cold.

But that's to be expected, I'm like that every day. Maybe you're right!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I've heard that olfactory memories are among the most powerful. They certainly do trigger very early memories for me - the smell of an iron on an ironing board, the odor of a cigar..

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Other than certain smells making me hungry, and maybe bright colors giving my eyes a little ease....I don't really feel motivated by anything.
My drunk self is no different from my sobre self...maybe less afraid. I am always very kind and generous to everyone and everything for that matter. Some people just have those demons deep down that the alcohol lets loose. I would not reccommend using any other recreational chemicals for those people, as they would probobly get all full of tears and hate for their own existence.

A little off topic however....especially since I didn't read what I was suppose to...but I noticed "The results reveal a powerful illusion of memory: People remember events that never happened", and couldn't help but relate it to an experience I had while smoking salvia divinorium
````````````````````````
removed personal account of drug experience

[edit on 2/8/07 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
oops....oh yeah....legal to buy and have...not legal to burn and inhale....I diserved that one...soo like...what are points for anyhow? I see myself being a few thousand in the hole in the not too distant future.

Why is it okay for someone to explain personal alcohol experiences and not get a warning?

[edit on 2-8-2007 by saintnuke]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I've heard that olfactory memories are among the most powerful. They certainly do trigger very early memories for me - the smell of an iron on an ironing board, the odor of a cigar..

Yup, smells are excellent cues for autobiographical memories. Proust would be chuffed.

top topics

join