It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you honestly believe in God.

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunnydays

Well, from personal experience the 'awe' part could be the effect of knowing him. Rather the internal realization of true love. That is pretty powerful stuff. Pure, unadulterated love, is probably a feeling most have never beheld and when they see the Christ and experience it, they would likely get down on their knees in 'awe' of it. Just speculation of course. I know I would.

Well,as i asked,why would they do it this time around when many didn't bend the knee the first time around??

As for Islam and Hinduism and the like, I was under the impression that their God was the same God as that of the Christians, just dressed a little different?

Christianity,Judaism and Islam are faiths based on the same God.Hinduism is made up of many God's and Goddesses,some say there are millions!

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll
Well,as i asked,why would they do it this time around when many didn't bend the knee the first time around??

I have no idea. Maybe because the alternative would be less appealing? Live free or die hard?

Christianity,Judaism and Islam are faiths based on the same God.Hinduism is made up of many God's and Goddesses,some say there are millions!

Well maybe that particular religion is not so different. Perhaps the many God's and Goddesses are just individuals who attained to a high degree of piety. Sort of like Saints. Their is a scripture that says something to the effect that every person is a God. I would imagine that once one has reached a certain level of spiritual awareness that they would exhibit God-like ability. How that ability chooses to manifest is anyones guess.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
"Be your own God."

Tagline of the deceiver.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
Don't come crying to me when you come to your senses and realize it’s all BS, and you’ve spent what little money you had on the church, in which does not give refunds.

I find that very hard to believe that this is a fantasy. There is so much out here. I know part of it maybe lost or maybe changed in the Bible. But the creation remains. It was more then a rare cosmic event that formed the Earth and us. How can each person live independently with the ability to be able to breathe- run- jump- cry and laugh etc. I think thats a miracle in itself.

Sure I think the Catholic changed God's laws- which they had no right to do. This also explains why most christians worship on Sundays and regard it as the sabbath- when in fact this is wrong. Yes religion is messed up that I will admit. When in doubt read the Bible. I saw several versions and the versions I saw were the same as the KJV. I cannot fathom that people would make the Bible up. Too many events that happened-I think it would take many scholars and geniuss' to come up with the Bible.

But then why would they do that? Lie to millions of people giving them false hopes. What would they accomplish by doing that? It makes no sense.

If you rather depend on science to prove their is a God- go right ahead- be my guest. But you may soon find out that your barking up the wrong tree.

Look around the US is stuck in a useless war in the Middle East- They are still rebuilding in New York, and the lower ninth ward totally bare. We have illeagal immigrants crossing the border- Wildfires in California. I can go on.

Get the hint yet?

We all better get on the good side and fast. Stop being bitter and filled with hate and depending on science.

It only takes faith size of a mustard seed. Just believe you might be surprised.

[edit on 10/29/2007 by Leyla]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
"Be your own God."

Tagline of the deceiver.

What's so deceptive about be your own God?

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

You don't control anything but your self. To declare yourself a God of the self when you had no part in your creation is false. Feels good to think you're a God though. You don't even know if you'll be alive in 5 minutes. You are not a God. You are a controlling spirit though, put in charge of your flesh to will choice into existence.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

You don't control anything but your self. To declare yourself a God of the self when you had no part in your creation is false. Feels good to think you're a God though. You don't even know if you'll be alive in 5 minutes. You are not a God. You are a controlling spirit though, put in charge of your flesh to will choice into existence.

I still don't see your deception. It must be semantic.

Edit:

Is being a God defined by the amount of influence you have, corporeally speaking?

For instance...

You are not a God if you are only controlling yourself, but you are if you are able to influence control others to a greater or lesser extent?

[edit on 29-10-2007 by Sunnydays]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
When one builds up the self, God is diminished. It's just one more way that the devil will get ya. That's a fairy tale though, so nevermind. It's up to you to do. Your choice my friend. Believe or doubt.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   

When one builds up the self, God is diminished. It's just one more way that the devil will get ya. That's a fairy tale though, so nevermind. It's up to you to do. Your choice my friend. Believe or doubt.

I agree with your first premise, "...When one builds up the self, God is diminished." The dissolution of self is more Godly, speaking in generalities.

Now my premise...

"...Persons having reached a certain level of spiritual attainment may, in fact, be God's and or Goddesses." Of course in loose keeping with the tenets of, say, Hinduism. They are particulalry preoccupied with the dissolution of 'self' so we are back where we started.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Well maybe that particular religion is not so different. Perhaps the many God's and Goddesses are just individuals who attained to a high degree of piety. Sort of like Saints. Their is a scripture that says something to the effect that every person is a God. I would imagine that once one has reached a certain level of spiritual awareness that they would exhibit God-like ability. How that ability chooses to manifest is anyones guess.

Thats Buddhism.
A Buddha is a person who has become fully enlightened and they experience the state known as Nirvana.But there is no Supreme Being in Buddhism,or any other God.

The closest thing to a Saint in Hinduism is a Guru,but they are not seen as God's.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by jakyll]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Thats Buddhism.
A Buddha is a person who has become fully enlightened and they experience the state known as Nirvana.But there is no Supreme Being in Buddhism,or any other God.

The closest thing to a Saint in Hinduism is a Guru,but they are not seen as God's.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by jakyll]

Well that makes sense jakyll... Once you have reached or attained such a state of mind you realize their is no supreme being. For instance a verse in Christian literature says, that we are all brothers and that you will be as the master... I suppose the 'master' was the original archetype of attainment. Once that state was achieved you would be as your master? Maybe I'm reaching a little but it does seem to imply a certain equality with God and if everyone is equal with God then essentially, there is no God?

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Leyla

I cannot fathom that people would make the Bible up. Too many events that happened-I think it would take many scholars and geniuss' to come up with the Bible.

Creating a religion is the easiest thing in the world!
Look at Scientology and Mormonism.

I agree that the universe can not of come about just by chance,but was it God who started it all? But you dismiss the old for the new!
Is it right to base your faith in such a young religion? (its the 2nd youngest in the world btw.)The Nordic faith can be traced back to at least 9,000BCE.Was it a false faith? Hinduism can be traced back to the 2nd millennium.Is it a false faith? What makes you disbelieve such ancient faiths,such as these and many others,are wrong?

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Leyla

I cannot fathom that people would make the Bible up. Too many events that happened-I think it would take many scholars and geniuss' to come up with the Bible.

Creating a religion is the easiest thing in the world!
Look at Scientology and Mormonism.

You said enough there. Scenctology is a cult. I give up if you want to believe in Norse gods Loki or Odin go right ahead.

I'm a Baptist I really don't see how thats a new religion. Remember John the Baptist? It dosent matter anyway you already chose what to believe and what not to believe. So its pointless to argue with people who don't get it.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Leyla

When does a faith cease to be a cult and start to be a recognized religion?
I guess it goes off how many followers you have,soon enough the Jedi will be a recognized faith.

I'm comparing Christianity to ancient faiths,and in that respect is is one of the newest religions in the world.You dismiss these faiths with a contemptuous glance and then get upset/angry when someone does the same to yours.

I don't believe in any Gods,old or new.I believe in the Duality,Rhythm and Cause & Effect of life and the universe.The Hermetic Philosophy to be precise.
Read the Kybalion,i'm sure it will interest you.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Duality. Sin and Righteousness. The ideologies of Jesus are awesome. Such a strong base to build off of.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by depth om

Duality. Sin and Righteousness. The ideologies of Jesus are awesome. Such a strong base to build off of.

Christianity is not based on Duality.Jesus teachings are not based in Duality.

This is shown in things such as the inequality of the genders,the inequality of emotions,the inequality of positive and negative.
It is a faith that is unbalanced,and life cannot exist that way!

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla

it would take many scholars and geniuss' to come up with the Bible.

That’s got to be the …………. I’ve ever read…..the bible was put together by people who were supposedly alive around 2000 years ago, right. They didn’t know anything about anything when it comes to science, or how the world works….etc, it sais in the bible, somewhere…………that whales are fish…..that the earth is flat and had four corners, that heaven exists and is in the sky in the clouds, and hell is beneath the earth, that angels, demons, giants, either once existed, or still do. Did you know that the bile in itself, has literally hundreds of contradictions, the list goes on and on…..

Now, you tell me again that the book was written by geniuses….c-mon try, if it was written by god, that’s even worse. You know what I hear from Muslims, “the quran is written so perfectly, only god could’ve written it,” hmmm yes because god is so smart, that in the quran is sais, the heavens and the earth were once one and they separated….hmmm yes, that sounds like the big bang, lol my ass. so by that meaning, during the big bang, somehow, the earth was still around during the big bang and even before it and then somehow survived the mass explosion of it. Real logic there……lol

But then why would they do that? Lie to millions of people giving them false hopes. What would they accomplish by doing that? It makes no sense.

So, I take it…you’ve never heard of mass control. The roman leaders used the bible to control and dominate their power over their empire, and eventually the most of the world. Crusades etc. Religion is used for nothing more than control, mass control. Why do you think every single one of the top 5 religions we know of today, all have such harsh illogical rules about sex. You control how people live, you control there lives, you control how they think. All religion is, is mass mind control……..

[edit on 30-10-2007 by andre18]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Hexidecimal

Your asking A REAL stupid question there m8.
There is not a single set of words that can be spoken that cannot somehow be refuted if one was so inclined to do so.
Trust me on this I have grown rather good at poking holes in theories, meaning that I am good at finding the holes that all theories have.

There are tooo many grey areas in mankind's understanding of reality to speak in any sort of absolutes at this juncture. But you atheists love to attack your collective nemesis, huh? Even though you dont have 100% nonrefutable proof yourselves. Mankind has not peeled back the cover on reality to show the inner works. There is room for doubt in every theory mankind has made thus far. Now that being said I will state my beliefs.

And these are just that. My beliefs.
I do not believe in a Abrahamic, vengeful, nosy, all around irritable and foul tempered, power hungry yet overpowered child in need of endless amount of praise.
I believe that what we think of as "god" is in fact more or less the intelligence of the universe (aka reality), think Gaia theory made bigger to include all of the universe and that the universe is sentient in way that we will may never really understand. And the universe is currently engaged in a quest to understand itself and that is the reason life has arisen.
But that being said in a way all of us and ALL the things around us are in a way part of that "god".

I know that may not be a good interreptation of what I am trying to say but I didn't see the point in trying harder to explain myself as I know the road I am walking even answering this silly post.

[edit on 30-10-2007 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
how can you not believe in God?

I think the issue here is the allure with the word God.

Lets assume for a moment that "God" is whatever created the first things which went on to expand into what we call the universe, matter, the planets, and stars.

If there was a big bang, "God" could be something as simple as .. the pre-requisites for a big bang. Perhaps something not even ALIVE as we consider life to be ..

This is just a thought, it's not what I believe.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant
reply to
I believe that what we think of as "god" is in fact more or less the intelligence of the universe (aka reality), think Gaia theory made bigger to include all of the universe and that the universe is sentient in way that we will may never really understand. And the universe is currently engaged in a quest to understand itself and that is the reason life has arisen.
But that being said in a way all of us and ALL the things around us are in a way part of that "god".

I know that may not be a good interreptation of what I am trying to say but I didn't see the point in trying harder to explain myself as I know the road I am walking even answering this silly post.

That the Universe came into being, and that from that being, came mankind. Mankind, made up of the dust of stars, now looks upon the stars with an awareness, and says, we are part of this universe...each and every one of us. He fights for every breath in a Universe of the Holy Breath.

Think it odd, that man is in a continual state of adaption? To what end?

Two Men, both made of dust walk two different paths. One has an awareness and an acceptance of his brother. The other does not accept his brother and wishes him gone. Which is listening to his true father?

Does Life spring forth to take life? To what end I say.

Before you were, you were not. You were already dead.
And you will be, from that which you started. But that which cannot be destroyed will live on, by the will of that which is without end.

I Am, is The Universal Governance. There is nothing within, that does not contain that which is without. We are all one. Indeed we are in God, and God is within us.

but the day will come when the clouds shall be rolled away, and the Sun of Righteousness shall shine forth with healing in his wings."
"I am the Way, the Truth, the Life. The doctrine which I teach is that which I am. I am It and It is I."

Jesus said...I AM.

Say it aloud as you read it, then tell me you are not.

Such is I AM.

Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti

[edit on 30-10-2007 by HIFIGUY]

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join