It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you honestly believe in God.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well where shall I start?First of all only the Bible proves it was written outside of time by prophecy.It does this on purpose for people just like yourself.It's often overlooked because of a dogmatic mindset.No other religion inluding the Islamic faith has prophecy confirmed in History.All bible prophecy fulfilled has been 100% accurate, period.
Again the following prophecy is confirmed in secular hisory.As far as the bible being written only 100's of yours ago, I'm sorry there is no other way to put this , you don't have any idea what your talking about.
Lets look at historical examples you can confirm through your own research of history. If you patient and you have not made up your mind already I can easily prove to you the bible was inspired outside of time as we know it.(keep in mind deadsea scrolls as an age reference being confirmed as well lets just say really really old, thus negating the idea that men took history and tried to act like it was a prophecy.)Lets start with this link here ok.Read it all and give it a chance.This is just the tip of the iceburg not even the heavy stuff that convinces some hardcore non believers, so I'll start off with the simple stuff and get more and more complex as time allows me.link follows.

www.gospeloutreach.net...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I like this question.. Well, what is your definition of God? Is it a man in a white robe sitting in a throne, judging people's actions and deciding when their time is up? How depressing. If that were my definition of God, I would have to ponder the same.

To aid in the question of what is God, ask an atheist why they don't believe in God.. The paradox of this question is: how can you not believe in something, for the same reason you can not disprove it's very existence.. IF you can not disprove it, there is some question as to it's very existence.. And if you don't believe in some higher power, then where do you draw the line?.. Do you believe that you yourself do not exist? Surely not, I hope. If you believe in nothing but what you know as your own experience, then you are your highest power.. YOU ARE GOD!

God is everything, and everything is God.. God is the creator of all things, but not simply just the creator, but the existence of all things, from the smallest particles, to the farthest galaxies..

Quantum physicists know that within the structure of any atom, there are electrons protons, particles, that constitute the formation of a specific element. What is the intelligence behind these particles that cause it to form into this atomic structure, that gives one atom a different characteristic then another? This intelligence, behind any atomic structure cannot be explained by rational though, ie. the human ego. Similarly, we can not explain why our hearts beat without our conscious awareness, or why we must remember to breathe. These are the objects of human inquiry.. in search of knowing God.. Particle generators are more about finding the God particle than they are about bombarding atoms, and spiritual meditators who are searching for enlightenment, "a knowledge of God's power",.know that a good way to achieve this state, is by focusing the attention on the breath, the heart, etc.; that which lies outside of our perceived ego..

I highly recommend the book, We are the Greatest God by Vijay Saxena, for the best explanation of what is God.. in layman's terms. Excellent read. If everyone understood the principles, this world would be a much kinder place. Unfortunately the founding fathers of our modern religions, knew that they had to use fear to control the people.. and those [Christian fundamentalist] followers are now the most gullible and ignorant (and dangerous) people on the planet.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I can't honestly believe in God. I would love to believe in an all-seeing, uber powerful benign God, but I just can't. I go to church just to meet good ladies and to maintain an appearance.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hexidecimal
Why do you, those that do, believe in God?

Prove to me, your god. Why do you believe.

its funny to me how all the non believers are always harrassing the believers about God. They make a big show about how they don't believe and try to get believers to "Prove God" to them...thereby missing the entire premise of it all.....FAITH

It is so lazy to ask someone else to "prove" something to you...GO PROVE IT YOURSELF!

and I am thankful that God is merciful and he will take mercy upon your soul... believe it or not you still won't go to hell, the only people that will go to hell are those that truly believed in their hearts and then changed their minds and denied it. and murderers and such, but just because you don't believe doesnt qualify you for hell...no youll just end up in the third degree of glory (which is still 100 times better then life on earth)

good luck to you.

edited on account i forgot to call him lazy

[edit on 1-8-2007 by darkheartrising]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
i once had it explained to me this way.....

"imagine if you could draw a character that lived and breathed on a piece of paper....he was only 2d. if you stuck your finger on that paper, he would walk around and say you were a circle. then just your palm he will describe you as a square."

we cant describe God, because we arent on the same level as Him. i believe where the bible says we were created in his image. he is the being, we are that living breathing drawing.

how do i prove it? i cant. it's faith. the feeling that someone out there did something....

to quote Futurama

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I don't fear death - therefore there is no need to believe in a God.

The concepts of right and wrong are man-made; becoming nothing more than tools used to enforce control over the general public. “You can’t do this/do that! It’s wrong!”

Humans by their very nature are selfish, uncompromising, cruel and brutal. I won’t for a second attempt to deny my possession of these traits.

When I lose the use of this body and brain, then maybe I’ll acquire the time to contemplate thoughtless ideologies - “faith” and “religion”. For now I’m content to be responsible for myself, without looking for some invisible force to “make all the bad things go away.”

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I'm agnostic, I don't believe that we can prove either way (yet).

But a lot of you seem very rude, calling on Christians to provide proof when you won't even do any researching for yourself. The whole point in this board is open discussion, not preaching. Don't just order people to prove that God exists then sit there happy with own ignorance because you won't prove your own argument. This is a subject in which you need to listen to everyone's point of view and also give your own reasons for why God can't exist.

Anyway because i'm agnostic i'll just live my life how I want to and not challenge anyone else's beliefs, at least not in this way. If there is a creator then surely it would just want you to live your life? And if there isn't, well you've lived your life anyway. It's win-win.

[edit on 1/8/2007 by malganis]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebox
The concepts of right and wrong are man-made; becoming nothing more than tools used to enforce control over the general public. “You can’t do this/do that! It’s wrong!”
When I lose the use of this body and brain, then maybe I’ll acquire the time to contemplate thoughtless ideologies - “faith” and “religion”. For now I’m content to be responsible for myself, without looking for some invisible force to “make all the bad things go away.”

Wow.

If that's not an example of hedonism, what is?

Herr thebox:

Would you ever want to meet someone who thought the same way you do? Knowing that you and your interests don't matter to them any more than their discarded toenail clippings??

I'm guessing that you'd probably pat yourself on the back while you claim that you'd never intentionally hurt another being -- Human or otherwise. But, from what you've just posted, I can only conclude that you have no problem if I did. So long as my victim wasn't you or, presumably, yours. (Assuming yer not in this world all alone and by yourself and are, thus, a God.)

So, maybe just let them all have at it, so long as they leave me out of it? But, what if you were their/my target? Would you think so anti-selfishly then?

Jus' askin'........

[edit on 1-8-2007 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tuning Spork
Jus' askin'........
[edit on 1-8-2007 by Tuning Spork]

No problem! I don't feel the need to be taken seriously on this matter. I really don't care enough about it. It's good for a laugh though!

The problem is, people (including myself) have the tendency to take things too seriously. When this happens we begin to dismiss what others think - to the point where another’s opinion means absolutely nothing - just as you said yourself. I'm VERY open to opinions, they’re great, in fact, if I was a ‘fact’ I’d probably have an illegitimate affair with one.

I like to insert my blinkered opinions every now and then to remind myself that when it comes down to the crunch I'm nothing more than the amalgamation of flesh, bones and an inexplicably complicated organic-CPU.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I'm an atheist because I don't think a god is necessary for the universe to exist. While I don't totally dismiss the possibility of a creator,I refuse to believe in the existance of a personal god that answers prayers, intervenes in the world and judges people when they die, since no one has ever seen it, and no one has evidence of an actual intervention... Also the fact that all so called "holy scriptures" have clearly not been written by a perfect all-knowing god nor have they been inspired by one.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Intelligent desgin, Very probable,,

mass organised religion version of god/gods ... in my opinion no way , but remember even myths,fables etc all start with some element of truth before they get horribly distorted over time.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
When people ask me if I believe in God or not, I always ask them to define 'God'. Because it's not a simple 'yes/no' question.

Most people's frame of reference for what God is, is built from the layman's Christian, or 'pop cultural', definition of God.

If that's what they think God is, no wonder so many people say they flat out don't believe. So before you throw the baby out with the bath water, strip back EVERYTHING you associate with God, and consider what that would might actually refer to, rather than just imagining a big bearded dude sat on a cloud casting sinners to Hell.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Asking someone to prove a faith is absurd - it's either a faith or it isn't. If it was proven it would be called "knowledge".

A lot of people on here confusing "God" with the Bible. The original post asked for proof of an existence of a deity, not proof that the Bible is correct (though that post itself used the Bible as part of the argument against).

I have a belief that I exist. I believe the most commonly accepted concept of initial creation - The Big Bang. I also believe in God to fill the bits before that I don't know about. That's to say, who dropped the universe and made it go bang in the first place.

I have no idea if God a) has an ineffable plan for the universe, b) created the universe for that purpose by means of aforementioned big bang or c) was doing the washing up and accidentally dropped the universe all over the Floor on account of losing his grip due to the Ineffable Washing Up Liquid of Time.

Either way I have no proof, though I have faith. And conversely because I have faith I have no desire to prove anything. Believe as you wish, buttry to be nice to people along the way, would be my suggestion.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Okay... let me put it this way.

Can you see electricity? No? Well, then how do you know it exists?

Because you see the effects that electricity brings. You can't see the current. You only know that when you flip the switch, it brings electricity through your house and powers your lights, fridge, computer and so on.

Do you know every secret about the universe? Do you understand what makes the cosmos do just exactly what they do? Why science even *works* the way it does? Why we even have gravity, planets, natural laws that work they way they do?

You don't know all that?

Just because someone doesn't understand something... and sorry but we are only human!... just because I don't understand something with my little mind doesn't mean I'm arrogant enough to say "it doesn't exist." That is incredibly childish. The bible says that "the fool says in his heart there is no God." Not believing something does not mean it doesn't exist.

For me, how can you look at this world and *not* believe there's a God? Every tree... flower... blade of grass and star in the sky... they all whisper His name. Religion and God are not necessarily the same, you must remember that. Yes people do make money off of religion. I don't believe that's His doing. God doesn't dwell in buildings or require groups. He is in our hearts. We are born with a conscience of knowing good from bad. Where do you think that comes from?

Personally... I can attest to God because I know that He hears me. He leads me and the bible says that if we ask Him to, He will do just that. When I came to know the Lord several years ago, my life was a mess. Slowly but surely, after I asked His help, I started seeing the fruit of that in my life and today I am a different and happier person. Somehow things just work out now. Even something bad, He turns it out for good. I don't have all the answers, all I know is that He has always been there for me. He gives me dreams to help me avoid harm, if I listen to them... He speaks in my heart... my family and I are always taken care of. Maybe not the way I think... but the way that we need.

A good example... if I let my little girl make all the decisions, she would eat candy all day long. That's what she thinks is good for her! She would play in the rain if I let her and play in the street. But as her parent, I have to make decisions that sometimes she doesn't like, nor does she understand because of her maturity level. If you choose to let God be your Daddy, your Heavenly Father, He will watch over you and things will work out, He will make a way even if you can't tell what's head or tails from your perspective. Like it or not, as humans on this earth, we *need* help. I'm not ashamed to admit it. But if you shun Him, push Him aside, then He'll do what you ask on that, too.

Just because you can't see something, or can't understand it, doesn't mean it's not there. Do you see the wind? Again - no. But you know it's there.

I know there are people who have done wrong things in religion... every religion out there has their share of nutcases. But you can't sterotype God based on others. YOU are responsible for you. Ultimately, some day each of us will cease to exist. There are too many stories of those who have seen the other side - I know there's an afterlife, a Heaven, & if there's an afterlife, there's a God. I want to be with Him - not against Him.

I don't need proof of how the wind works to know it's there. I don't need to understand or see electricity to know it's there. That would be pretty silly & childish of me. I am hopefully mature enough to recognize there are some things I *don't* know and realize that I am not God... someone else already has that job. I am His child, made in His image. I trust in Him and because I do, He leads me, helps me, guides me, answers prayers the way He knows is best, and I have love and peace in my heart because of Him.

That's why I believe in God.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
since were syaing God, not muslims or jews as in indivivualy, i just want to say to a certain religion, and they know who they are, what type of god would reward you with 72 virgins if you slautered inocent women,children and men ?

Take Care every one, Vix.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
These threads about the existence of God sure don't belong in a ATS forum. Go start these threads in PTS or BTS. This is a total Below Top Secret subject. Why use up bandwith on it?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I consider myself agnostic. But I don't think there is anything wrong with people who believe in god since it can provide hope to people that there is much more to life than this hell we call earth. I don't think there is anything wrong with people who don't believe in god either. It's a personal choice.

I'm not too fond of organized religion though. I feel people should be religious on a personal and spiritual level rather than being brought up a certain way and told what to believe in - that way they can make choices for themselves.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well let's put it this way. When we're all rotting in the ground, pushing up daisies we'll be able to decide for ourselves - or not as the case may be.

If there truly *is* a god, he's not a 'good' person. He's some sick pervert who sits in a room masturbating over the chaos and misery he's inflicted upon his guinea pigs.

But wait a minute, the world is supposed to be a beautiful place isn't it?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I'm waiting for this to get moved or locked, but in the mean time...

Yes, the bible was written by three people and a possibly crazy one, it's not by what it claims. We've proved that, I saw it on the History channel. But looking at whether there's a God, I believe there is.

The FSM.

But really, I think there's a God. I don't have evidence, or proof. I don't have a reason to believe other than hope that Earth is Hell and there's an other side I'm going to instead of not existing anymore while my body decays underground. That the human race is really as doomed as it looks, that there may be some hope in a return of Christ (doubt it, but none the less). I'm really very split on the topic, I want to mock religion and the fact there are believers when I'm a believer. I may not be certain on religion, but if Christianity is correct, if it happens to be so, and you die a non-believer, well, then what? You're screwed. Not in my beliefs, but that's my opinion. The thing that's really keeping me from saying I'm not religious is IF. IF it's right. IF I'm wrong. Well, then, too bad for me. I never pray. I don't go to church, and I won't. I've prayed in the past at dinner when my relatives lived with us due to their religiousness and when someone dear to me passed. But I realized what I'll be doing on my death bed. Praying never seemed like the thing I'd do, no, but I will. In a dream I had last week, I was about to die, I was being pulled underground and losing air. So what did I do? I prayed. My actions in my dreams mimic my own life actions. So I'm not going to struggle or debate about praying if I'm going to die for the simple reason of IF.

But I guess I'm religious and believe in God mainly because I choose to. I choose to. It's that simple. I choose it. And you know what? I'll still choose to do so if there's ever proof against Him found. I'll do so if religion is suppressed. And I do so now when so many people are choosing to do otherwise. And that's the fact of it. I'm not alone, and no matter what you do, people are still going to believe, many have it set in there minds and have been raised to where it's a plain fact that He exists and religion is right. And that's why we believe, friend, because we choose to, because we're stubborn, and because to many, it's a fact of life.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I consider myself a metaphysical thinker and not tied to any religious labeling, but I have to say that GOD is a label, the label had to be created to communicate the work that his force is capable of doing and to quantify the existence and power of this force.

With that said much of the proof is self evident that there is a root existence that is much more powerful than us, now whether the legends, labels or lore surrounding what that existence is are not accurate, you cannot refute the existence of an all powerful force that possibly is responsible for the genesis of everything and to do that outside of randomness, that force must have superior ability and possibly knowledge and immeasurable intelligence so that all things pretty much exist as they do in the universe.

Science basically does support a primary root source or force as far as I know, I think you are looking at the religious and labeling aspect of GOD.

Think about this, as ancient as mathematics is, it has always been here and in high order all over the universe, we need computers and functions to explore what we have discovered scientifically but the mathematical knowledge we have gained isn't even advanced enough or high order to solve many things that we dont know about the universe, matter, and dimensions, i have to say GOD exists no matter what religion or belief you might have if you ask me and there is more proof than there is no proof.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join