It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you honestly believe in God.

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

I agree that people should be able to find happiness in whatever they want.but once it develops into a dogma that is used to oppress people,to commit atrocities etc.then we have serious problems.as history has shown!

Too many men have used religion as a weapon.they claim god is all around us,yet they imprison him in churches.the pope lives in the vatican,a place brimming with countless antiques,priceless works of art,and they have enough money to make soloman blush! the holy see makes a mockery of everything jesus preached.lambeth palace,seat of the archbishop of canterbury,does the same.

Religion should equal spirituality.

But man has made religion an excuse.an excuse to slaughter.an excuse to steal.an excuse to rape.an excuse to control.an excuse to make money......

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
As good as a post as this is duckster... YOu are leaving your mind open to Human Tehology ... We cannot even concieve the notion that our god created what we originally thuoght was FLAT .. Now we think we are exploring the Universe. .... Which ever one that may be .... HAHAHAH ... Science is just something god created way along time ago when he realized the choices that humans would untimately have to make in order to achieve a desicive method of seperating them.... or at least eventually it would come to that. anyhow ... WE DESTROY EVERYTHING WE TOUGH, INCLUDING OUR OWN CHILDREN AND SELF'S SADLY ENOUGH!

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Regardless, if the bible is 'just a story'.

This 'story' has had an impact on my life.

All semantics and logistics aside.

The "Fairy in the sky", has touched me.

I love the story behind "the fairy in the sky".

Be it a 'story' or 'what-ever'.

For every incongruent and inconsistant novel, therein lies a moral.

If I want to base my assumptions of what life is before me, or what I can provide to life...Who the Hell are YOU...or anyone else to say that what is 'paradise' for ME?

Seriously?

If I find a somewhat 'peace of mind' in this stupid, and hateful world, who is ANYBODY to tell me that what I beleive is WRONG?

Who are YOU to take that from me? Not that I'd let you.

Should YOU ever find something to believe in and not want anyone to take that from you, who am I TO DISPUTE WITH?

Until SCIENCE can TOTALLY refute what my beliefs are, You have no RIGHTS to take away my happiness.

I support science and all that it has to offer. Yet, science doesn't TOTALLY prove everything.

Til then...

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus_Brandon

I wonder why god would create science.and by that i mean the kinda science that is used to "prove" that a god or gods do not exist.why would god allow that when he wants mankind to worship him? (even though he has angels to do that for him.)

I also wonder why scientists always say that their "belief" disproves the god of christianity only.its never the gods of the tribal peoples that still exist (to them.).its never Buddah,its never Muhammed etc.they never mention any other religion except christianity(usually meaning the catholic church.)but christianity is the youngest of all religions.there are faiths that exist today that out date christianity by 1000's of years!

[edit on 3-9-2007 by jakyll]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

You get an applause from me for your reply to HIFIGUY

Usually when you quote to someone evidence from the bible that totally contradicts the teaching of love,peace,compassion,tolerance etc,you get ignored.or you get told those things happened in the old testament.does that matter? old or new testament,its still the same god!

There's a glaring contradiction most christians miss too.Jesus' 1st visit was to spread peace etc.but on his 2nd visit he is to spread/do violence against the non-believers! kinda like having charlie manson as the poster child for love.lol.

[edit on 3-9-2007 by jakyll]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras

Originally posted by DaRAGE

Originally posted by 3_Libras

Rightttttttt, but how is existence linked with a man up in the clouds?

My throughts of GOd aren't a Human existing inthe clods, or in heaven, or anything like that. That representation is man-made - aka the bible - "jesus will sit at teh right hand side fo the father, ie god., in the kingdom of heaven". the words" The heavens" has also been used to mean such as the sky.ie. "Look up into the heavens and tell me what you see?"

So heaven they represent god in human form as "god made us in his image", greeting us at teh pearly gates, lol.

But....in the beginning, when the Christinaty "boom" was happening, thats what it was...up in the sky...cos we knew no better. So if God was speaking to whoever wrote that tripe, then surely he gave him the right details?
[edit on 31-7-2007 by 3_Libras]

I have a theory about that. What if all this science is actually lies orchestrated by the NWO.

Now I like to point out that I do not believe in that, it's just a theory.

And also in 1000+ years, our understanding of the universe will be different than it is today. Some things we think that are true today, will be seen as mistakes tommaro.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
OK OK OK .. Enough with the pointing fingers ... and such .. Time to head into a new direction ..Which direction I might ask ?

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
With 600 Million Homeless worldwide,
60 Million who starve to death every year,
6 Million Children who starve to death every year,
and 40 Million Homeless South American Children,

It appears that were in our own self created Apocolypse.

Further reading might indicate that there are going to be two areas. The area inside the Kingdom and the area outside.

The World of Christ over the world of Hate. A World of Peace over a World of War.

Its clear we cant get it on our own. Perhaps the world will split in two, those that believe and those that dont. Those that Take care of their entire society and truly practive Love one another and those that are out for themselves.

Hmm..if it was revealed that there was life on another planet, you had better hope they are practicing Christs ways and not those of Capitalism and Imperialism. Earth could end up a penal colony.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The question was put forth: "How can you honestly believe in God"

I am more than happy to answer this.

I don't have too many pleasures in life.

Yet one of these pleasures entailing 'my belief' in something that is bigger and better than what you and I ...or what this life could ultimately hold for us.

For all that Science could possibly explain, therein lies untold mysteries within itself.

My happiness derives from just the simplest things around us.

I am a spiritual person that sees things beyond the 'big picture'.

Remember this: Every Scientist that explores ideas' they ALL will have envisioned a 'belief' before any action performed.

Within these 'envisioned actions', will embody a 'belief' that the action will/can be performed or not.

Before every action - comes a belief.

'How' the action will - come about- determines on the will and actions of the person.

Is this correct?

Now...back to 'beleifs'.

I believe that a very powerful being has come unto this world (perhaps one amongst many) and that this 'powerful being' has made its' pressence known to mankind.

I believe in the teachings of this 'powerful being', and live accordingly.

This way of living, this 'teachings of the powerful being' has had a substantial impact on my life- for the betterment of ALL.

I am very VERY happy with this beings' teachings.

Would any of you take this 'happiness' from me?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Might I remind believers and non believers alike of a quote from the Aquarian Gospel of Christ.

Jesus speaks plainly on the topic of Faith.

8 You seek a sign to please your curoisity. You walk the very lowest planes of carnal life and cry, Phenomena! show us a sign and then we will believe. 9 I was not sent to earth to buy up faith as men buy fish and fruit and rubbish in the streets. 10 Men seem to think it quite a favour done to me when they confess their faith in me and in the holy Christ. 11 What does it matter unto me as man if you believe or disbelieve? 12 Faith is not something you can buy with coin; it is not something you can sell for gold

How can I honestly believe in God?

Simply

Because I can

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
@Hexidecimal.

I've posted several times,but not really answered your question.

The vast majority of people want/need to believe in something.(humans always have)They can't grasp or deal with the possibility that there is nothing after this life.We no longer believe in gods who could make thunder,shake the earth etc,because we now know what causes these things.The last great questions of mankind are,where did life on this planet come from and who/what created the universe.These questions bring out the "primitve" side in some people.We don't know for sure,so it must be god!!

Another reason people believe,they've been brainwashed.and i don't mean that in a sinister kind of way.what i mean is,that from a very young age we are told about god;whether you be muslim,jew,pagan or a follower of one of the many christian faiths,you a made to learn about your god only.(i am aware that schools in england have now changed this policy.)From the ages of 4-16 i learnt about the Catholic faith.i was not taught about other religions and we were not told about the theory of evolution.For some kids,it became their very life,they questioned nothing! Me,being me,questioned everything and ended up in detention more times than i can remember,lol.

An example of how this kind of brainwashing can lead to extreme behaviour.
Northern Ireland,still split apart by a belief in the same god,but who practice their religion in slightly different ways.When the violence there was at its worst,children were taught by both sides that the other faith was bad,evil,corrupt.they were learning this at school and at home.They were never given another point of view so these teachings festered within and catholics grew up to hate protestants and protestants grew up to hate catholics.mix that with the politics of N.I against G.B.and you get a molotov cocktail.

Those that teach kids one religion and either never let them learn about other faiths or teach them very biased views,are taking away these kids right to choose for themselves.Not all teachings lead to the situation mentioned above,obviously.my point is to show that people believe because they know nothing else! Either because they do not learn about other faiths or because they have been taught that all other faiths are the work of Satan.

The Catholic faith,like many others,promises paradise in the next life and a host of other wonderful things.This is also something want/need to believe in,especially if the life they have is terrible.
Many times people have said and continue to say that,any unfortunate event,any burden,any violence,any suffering must be indured because it is god's will and he will reward you in heaven!! They fear death,they fear nothingness,they fear a god who promises all but gives them nothing in this world!!

So,lack of knowledge to do with the origin of man/the universe,the need to believe and the need to believe in something that rewards you in the next life,brainwashing from a young age,these are some of the reasons why people believe in a God....oh,and some believe because they need moral guidence,they are not strong enough to govern themselves.so they sin,ask for forgiveness,do penance.they sin,as for forgiveness,do penance...its never ending!!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

your statement translates to: how can i ignore reason and allow myself to perpetuate in a delusion? because i can!

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Reason hasn't yet saved the world.

One man has a reason to kill and rape, another reasons he is better than others. Another reasons he deserves whats in your wallet for free.

So, let me deny reason. OK? Is that OK?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by HIFIGUY

your statement translates to: how can i ignore reason and allow myself to perpetuate in a delusion? because i can!

Were the Deaths of the apostles a Delusion? Each one sent to different areas of the world, and all but one of them dying horrific Deaths. Each holding to their story alone while being separated by great distances.

A delusion you say?

Think about it: Alone,in a distant country, all the apostle had to do to save his own skin was say he lied.

But no. These men spoke the truth to the death.

There is plenty of Historical Voracity to support that these apostles in fact not only lived, but that each of their executions and locations were recorded.

The Deaths of the Apostles

Matthew suffered martyrdom in Ethopia, killed by a sword wound.

Mark died in Alexandria, Egypt, dragged by horses through the streets until he was dead.

Luke was hanged in Greece as a result of his tremendous preaching to the lost.

John was boiled in a huge basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution in Rome. However, he was miraculously delivered from death. John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison island of Patmos where he wrote his prophetic Book of Revelation. The Apostle John was later freed and returned to serve as a bishop in modern Turkey. He died an old man, the only Apostle to die peacefully.

Peter,was crucified upside down on an x-shaped cross, according to Church tradition, because he told his tormentors that he felt unworthy to die the same way that Jesus Christ had died.

James the Just, the leader of the Church in Jerusalem and brother of Jesus, was thrown down more than a hundred feet from the southeast pinnacle of the Temple when he refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they discovered that he survived the fall, his enemies beat James to death with a fuller's club. This was the same pinnacle where Satan had taken Jesus during the Temptation.

James the Greater, a son of Zebedee, was a fisherman by trade when Jesus called him to a lifetime of ministry. As a strong leader of the Church, James was ultimately beheaded at Jerusalem. The Roman soldier who guarded James watched amazed as James defended his faith at his trial. Later, the officer walked beside James to the place of execution. Overcome by conviction, he declared his new faith to the judge and knelt beside James to accept beheading as a Christian.

Bartholomew, also known as Nathanael, was a missionary to Asia. He witnessed about our Lord in present day Turkey. He was whipped to death for his preaching in Armenia.

Thomas was speared and died on one of his missionary trips to establish the Church in India.

Jude, another brother of Jesus, was killed with arrows after refusing to deny his faith in Christ.

Matthias, the Apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas Iscariot, was stoned and beheaded.

Barnabas, one of the group of seventy disciples, was stoned to death at Salonica.

Paul was tortured and then beheaded by the evil Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67. Paul endured a lengthy imprisonment which allowed him to write his many epistles to the Churches he had formed throughout the Roman Empire. These letters, which taught many of the foundational doctrines of Christianity, from a large portion of the New Testament.

Therefore, these men speak and wrote witness about a man named Jesus..not a delusion. And they were willing to die for it.

These Men testify to Jesus..

Jesus brings witness to God.

All of them Died as witness. More then I can say to those that may refute their testimony.

Armchair quarterbacks we are....I can only hope that my Faith Carries me as much as these men.

Peace

[edit on 12-9-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
HIFIGUY there is not historical evidence that any of those events actually happened. It's mythology that's all.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

""""Therefore, these men speak and wrote witness about a man named Jesus..not a delusion. And they were willing to die for it.""""

Just because someone is willing to die for what they believe doesn't mean it isn't a delusion!

The followers of David Koresh were willing to die for him,would you agree with their belief that he was the messiah come again,or that they were delusional?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

Very interesting list of how the apostles died. However the bible only records the death of the apostle James by 'the sword' (acts 12:2) so the so called recorded deaths of the other apostles are nothing but hearsay and cannot be taken as literal truth. There is no reliable historical or traditional evidence to support these other 'martyrdoms'

G

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
Were the Deaths of the apostles a Delusion? Each one sent to different areas of the world, and all but one of them dying horrific Deaths. Each holding to their story alone while being separated by great distances.

A delusion you say?

Think about it: Alone,in a distant country, all the apostle had to do to save his own skin was say he lied.

But no. These men spoke the truth to the death.

no, these guys spoke what they thought was the truth... again, that is the nature of delusion. you won't give it up.

There is plenty of Historical Voracity to support that these apostles in fact not only lived, but that each of their executions and locations were recorded.

could you provide the supporting historical documents?

Paul was tortured and then beheaded by the evil Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67. Paul endured a lengthy imprisonment which allowed him to write his many epistles to the Churches he had formed throughout the Roman Empire. These letters, which taught many of the foundational doctrines of Christianity, from a large portion of the New Testament.

paul was also the first person to write anything on the christian religion...
his are the first mentions of jesus...

Therefore, these men speak and wrote witness about a man named Jesus..not a delusion. And they were willing to die for it.

again, it could still be a delusion. just because one dies for something, it doesn't lend it validity.

All of them Died as witness. More then I can say to those that may refute their testimony.

yet their testimony was never written down.

why did not a single one of them write about jesus during his life, if they were so eager to testify?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ingeniouslycorrupt

Why is it so hard for you believers to even consider the concept that the universe is a game of chance and things occur at random???

Because one thing happens which causes another to happen, and another, and another and so on.

Everything is random? It doesn't rain just because "it's all random" It rains Because the skies are heavy with water. They are heavy with water not by chance but by system and mathematic.

There is nothing "random" buddy. Nothing at all. Anywhere... at all...

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by depth om

you really have little understanding of how the base parts of the universe work if you say that. things do occur randomly at the quantum level and higher.

if things didn't occur randomly we'd be able to predict certain events to 100% accuracy.

[edit on 9/12/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
There is nothing "random" buddy. Nothing at all. Anywhere... at all...

What about the uncertainty principle?

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join