It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you honestly believe in God.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
My throughts of GOd aren't a Human existing inthe clods, or in heaven, or anything like that.

My belief is that the human being himself/herself IS god. (So to speak). As I stated before. We create our own destiny, we create our life, we create ourselves. We are the Masters of our domain. There is no "God" As everyone see's it.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hexidecimal

My throughts of GOd aren't a Human existing inthe clods, or in heaven, or anything like that.

My belief is that the human being himself/herself IS god. (So to speak). As I stated before. We create our own destiny, we create our life, we create ourselves. We are the Masters of our domain. There is no "God" As everyone see's it.

100 million percent agree. We are all God. But I dont want to use the term God. Everything is made of energy. Everything is energy. Therefore, everything is one.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras
Are you gonna sit there and tell me thats the most likely scenario? Puhhhhh-leasseee people.

The Bible is nothing more than a set of morals and laws by which to rule. Simple as that.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by 3_Libras]

I never said i believe in the bible. And you are correct, the bible is story telling, and morals and rules, christian values, etc. They provide good values i believe. Such as treat others as you would have other treat you. Dont kill others, dont get jealous, respect your family and friends, treat your neighbours kindly, etc, dont steal, etc.

However I never said i was a christian (i grew up as one but have expanded my thoughts since and beliefs have changed drastically), im not a bible fanboi, i dont go to church.

I have simply laid out my beliefs of why i believe in god. I dont follow any religions.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

100 million percent agree. We are all God. But I dont want to use the term God. Everything is made of energy. Everything is energy. Therefore, everything is one.

I thought you didnt believe in god, what youve described is your view of god, this energy, wouldnt you agree without this energy, of oneness, that you would not excist?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Are you gonna sit there and tell me thats the most likely scenario? Puhhhhh-leasseee people.

The Bible is nothing more than a set of morals and laws by which to rule. Simple as that.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by 3_Libras]

I never said i believe in the bible. And you are correct, the bible is story telling, and morals and rules, christian values, etc. They provide good values i believe. Such as treat others as you would have other treat you. Dont kill others, dont get jealous, respect your family and friends, treat your neighbours kindly, etc, dont steal, etc.

However I never said i was a christian (i grew up as one but have expanded my thoughts since and beliefs have changed drastically), im not a bible fanboi, i dont go to church.

I have simply laid out my beliefs of why i believe in god. I dont follow any religions.

Then maybe I misread what you were saying. But I think this topic, while it laid out the options to transcend the boundaries of what "God" is in your mind, sort of indicated whether you believe in the "God as know Him"
But fair enough, point taken

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

I thought you didnt believe in god, what youve described is your view of god, this energy, wouldnt you agree without this energy, of oneness, that you would not excist?

Like I said in the post just above, I thought this topic was aimed at the God we are all familiar with. Not for one second do I buy the utter crap that religion is today. Energy and oneness on the other hand, maybe result from various different situations that we are just too stupid to know about, or cant know about. With that said, not for one second do I think that this energy and oneness was the result of a higher being, but rather, something thats explainable, but not where we are at at the moment.
[edit on 1-8-2007 by 3_Libras]

[edit on 1-8-2007 by 3_Libras]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   

The question was why do you believe in god? wasn't it?

Actually, it was, "Prove to me, your god. Why do you believe."

So it was why do you believe, and if you can prove to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but your concept of 'God' is outdated along with the rest of your preconceptions.

Religion does not equal God. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, et all are not the only paths to Union.

I find my own personal experiences to shine light on the matter of my belief in a Higher Power, but that doesn't mean I can show you or give you tangible examples.

You need to find out such answers on your own. Meditation, prayer, giving thanks, are all ways of connecting with the one God. You do not need a religious book or teacher to tell you how to do that (myself included).

The greatest journey in life is finding your Self in God.

God is not a 'He' or a 'She' more of an 'It' and even then doesn't fully describe the essence of the ONE.

You cannot prove the existence or nonexistence of such an entity. It is impossible.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
As I asked if you don't believe in God . Why does it matter to you whether other people think He exists or not?

"How can you honostly believe in a God".

Now how fair is it of you to post that question , and as you stated in the begining of your thread "And don't say prove that He doesn't exist".

So I ask you. How can you honostly NOT believbe in a God.
Nobody wins in this conversation. I can't prove to you God exists and you can't prove to me He doesn't. Can you?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
I'm sorry, but your concept of 'God' is outdated along with the rest of your preconceptions.

Religion does not equal God. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, et all are not the only paths to Union.

I find my own personal experiences to shine light on the matter of my belief in a Higher Power, but that doesn't mean I can show you or give you tangible examples.

You need to find out such answers on your own. Meditation, prayer, giving thanks, are all ways of connecting with the one God. You do not need a religious book or teacher to tell you how to do that (myself included).

The greatest journey in life is finding your Self in God.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by biggie smalls]

Yeah, its really outdated
You and how many others? The rest, the majority, are still eating right out the feeders hands

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
If I had to give a yes or no answer, I would say yes I do believe in God. Just not in accordance with any of the major religions of the world that I know of, Eastern or Western. I personally think most organized religions are corrupt and largely hypocritical. I believe God is more of a universal force or energy binding us all together than an actual being capable of thought and verbal communication. In other words, "God" is both responsible for and a result of human consciousness as a whole.

For me though, faith is not a legitimate reason for believing in God. I don't understand how someone can be twisted into accepting something as fact just because of the people around them and a book written a long time ago. I don't think God communicates directly with people and I don't think God influences human history. It's impossible for me to explain why I believe in God though because the answer is too complex. I just know that there has to be a reason and cause for our existence as well as the existence of the universe. I don't believe everything we experience in life is the way it is simply because of chance occurrences and certain conditions. It also doesn't make sense to me that when we die, our consciousness just ceases to exist at all. I don't have any proof that it doesn't, but it just doesn't make logical sense to me that something as complex and powerful as a human soul could simply stop existing in an instant.

On a side note, I also believe in evolution. A lot of people find this odd and consider it a contradiction, but it makes logical sense to me. In short, God created life to begin with, and then it evolved into all its current forms. Possibly God influenced evolution at certain points through chance genetic mutations, but largely I think life exists in its present form because of evolution.

By the way, I'm not trying to insult anyone's religion with this post or make any personal attacks. If you disagree with me, that's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just stating my personal beliefs. Whatever your beliefs happen to be, I respect them as well as your right to believe in what you want. One thing I can't stand is someone trying to shove religion down my throat.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

As I asked if you don't believe in God . Why does it matter to you whether other people think He exists or not? "How can you honostly believe in a God". Now how fair is it of you to post that question , and as you stated in the begining of your thread "And don't say prove that He doesn't exist". So I ask you. How can you honostly NOT believbe in a God. Nobody wins in this conversation. I can't prove to you God exists and you can't prove to me He doesn't. Can you?

Which is exactly my point. You can't prove there is, and there isn't. I dont believe in a god. I am a man of Logic. There is no Logical proof of a god, therfore, in my mind, There is no god.

[edit on (8/1/0707 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

If the Bible was to be written today, how different do you think it would be? And be honest. Because it would have to take into account a number of different things, that just werent able to be foreseen when it was written.

First, lemme respond to your question about the "man up in clouds". What that image is is a children's version of God; the God that is observing each and every one of as a judge of our hearts and actions. But, if we are the children of God, then that's how we're going to want to approach the question, anyway. To "personify" God.
And I know that this probably isn't where the OP was going, but let me, as an agnostic, suggest this anyway:

Rather than getting into a debate about my god vs your god vs his god, etc, what if we're all in search of the same God, which is the God that can answer the unanswerable questions that we have about life, morality, physics, chemistry and, especially, existence itself.

If we look at all of the world's religions through human history -- whether they are monotheistic or polytheistic -- we can see, I think, that what the great disciplined religions have in common is their God's/Gods' moral teachings and life lessons. Just as different cultures may all come to the same conclusion that water always flows downhill, they all seem to reach the same conclusion that homocide is wrong/evil/immoral/whatever.

So, if we can agree that there are certain inescapable physical truths about the way magnets attract certain metals and that fire will always burn wood, we can agree on certain inescapable non-physical truths about how each of us can live a righteous life with each other.

I would say that the various religions -- while being very different from each other in terms of specific dogma -- are all seeking the same understanding of our good ol' human condition.

To ask, for example, "if God exists then why is there so much suffering in the world?", is to miss the entire reason that "God" exists: to ease our suffering in this world.

Can faith alone ease our suffering? I believe that it can and I believe it does for many people of all those seemingly dogmatically irreconcilable religions.

I think that, rather than asking "why in the world would you believe in God when there is no proof?", the question maybe could be, "why in the world is God showing up in every disparate human culture that's ever existed?". The answer might be simply that we are inclined to question the very nature of, not only our existence, but, existence itself.

So, how would the Bible be written if it were written today?

Hmmm. Probably a lot like physics, chemistry and biology textbooks.

But our basic underlying questions -- the questions that have revealed to us so many physical, chemical and biological "truths" -- still go unanswered in those books. The answers we seek may never be revealed to us physical, mortal, carbon-based people things. Just as we can measure energy only by what we can see it doing to matter (our "physical" lives), we can measure God only by what God does in our dynamic, "spiritual" lives.

I dunno.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Which is exactly my point. You can't prove there is, and there isn't. I dont believe in a god. I am a man of Logic. There is no Logical proof of a god, therfore, in my mind, There is no god.

Just out of curiousity sake. Does that mean peolple who believe in God or the concept of a God are more prone to irrational thinking, instead of a logic based thought structure?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Just because there is no proof of something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Besides, there are many great philosophers who would argue that there is logical proof of God.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Of course it dosn't. It just means that there are some points we're they use logic, and some points they dont. You can have a christian get straight A's in school, and do well in life, and have an atheist. who utterly fails in life, and kills themselves. You can have logical people, but not logical thinking.

That is my standing.

Just because there is no proof of something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Besides, there are many great philosophers who would argue that there is logical proof of God.

As I stated in the first post, just because there isn't any proof, dosn't mean it does exist.

[edit on (8/1/0707 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
I believe in god because its the most logical thing, I believe in god, because I know without god I wouldnt be here right now. How can someone NOT believe in god.

I hate it when people say that people who believe in god are stupid, it makes me laugh, I mean just look around you, everything has been created? with VERY intelligent designs. Its common sense.

The proof is around us, proof is everywhere. People arent looking at it right.
There is a reason you can see, and hear, and think, theres a reason you feel such powerful love for your children, or family, or girlfriend. Theres a reason you can run, walk, dance. Its all from intelligent design.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by _Phoenix_]

How does millions, no, billions of years of evolution point you to beleive in god? Why don't you work to find out what created us instead of going assuming it was some higher being. That's illogical.

We do not know what created us, neither do you. So in my opinion, people should not beleive in god as theres no proof that he exists, and two, us existing does not point to a higher being.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
My answer is NO. I do not believe in god. The thing that I don't understand and actually angers me is why people worship this creator, aka God. It is pointless as nothing will become of prayers to it. And the odd prayer that does come true is taken as a devine work.

Why is it so hard for you believers to even consider the concept that the universe is a game of chance and things occur at random???

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ingeniouslycorrupt

Why is it so hard for you believers to even consider the concept that the universe is a game of chance and things occur at random???

You see you come up with the words Chance, random, things arent that simple, for things to be random, for things to have chance, it would have to be created in the first place. The universe? Do you really think the universe just came somehow magically out of nowhere, and somehow by chance, some kind of intelligent designs, intelligent systems, stars, creatures, with intelligent design right down to the molocules, came out of nothing, THAT is why its hard for us believers to not believe in something that started creation.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Seriously, how many freaking times are topics like these going to be made? All these result in are insult wars. Nothing is ever resolved, and the topic explodes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join