It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you honestly believe in God.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
[
If the church were truley concerned about the sick and the poor, they would give them skills for a better life. Instead of handouts. But handouts instead of real skill keeps them dependent.

"give a man a fish, feed him for a day. teach him how to fish, feed him for life."
-Jesus Christ

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Show me where Jesus said that.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I havent read through all 10 pages of this thread, but some of the responses I have read are so illogical that I had to read it again to make sure that it wasn't blatent sarcasm or parody.

Someone has probably mentioned it, but if there is a God, he must have been created as well. Not even an allegedly almighty, omnipotent, omniscient being like God could create itself. If you go back far enough, there would have been nothing. Something had to be created from nothing, as paradoxical as it sounds. It's hard to even imagine that our universe, and all other universes if others exist, came after an infinite period of absolute nothingness. So vast that we can't even begin to comprehend anything before the creation of our own universe. Did God create the entire universe? That would mean that he is outside the universe.

Religious types believe that God exists. If they believe God has always existed, they are automatically wrong, because everything must have a beginning. Therefore the only logical explaination for how God (or God's God) came into existence is.... science. Quantam physics.

Non-religious types believe that the universe was created entirely by science, rather than science creating a supernatural being who then went on to create everything. To an atheist, the universe is essentially it's own God. It's own laws created itself.

So really the argument is moot.

There MUST have been a point when there was nothing.
There is something here now.
Therefore, something must have spontaniously happened at some point to create the first "anything." Whether that "anything" went on to create "everything", or whether that skip doesn't exist and "anything" IS "everything" is what we are debating about here.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I think if you look for any understanding about life & god your gonna find a million differnt ideas & opinions about the topic that only make it more confusing, so who's to say its like this or its like that nobody has the answer to those questions. Me personally i believe in God

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xerimethius

I agree with all of that, except replace Christian with atheist and vice versa. Atheists are the one's being "persecuted". I'm not an atheist, myself, but I've seen far too many incidents of atheists being victimized and being treated as if they're somehow inferior for choosing science over religion.

Can you give me a link to a post????? This board is full of attacks on Christians blaming us for everything in history. Where are the Threads saying the same things about Atheists? I've never seen one? Please don't take this as an attack of any kind. I don't care what other peoples beliefs are, nor do I judge them by that.

How about we agree we have different beliefs and leave the words Christian and Atheist out of discussions? Seems like the right thing to me?

In my posts, replace the word Christian with the name of any Faith that teaches Love and Respect. That is the core of my beliefs. There is way to little of that on this planet as it is.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I believe in God and my father did not. He had a heart attack last year and needed an operation to save his life, the doctors told us it didn't look good but you never know. My wife lead a prayer group of ladies she knows from a Bible study, they prayed for hours for my father. After the operation my step mom and three other siblings along with my wife waited, the operation was a sucess and after a day or so my father was told he could have two visitors at a time. The nurse came out and asked for my wife, she said that he requested to see my wife only. We were confused, not his wife or kids, but his daughter in law only. They never really got along and usually tolerated each other. My wife was in there about 15 minutes and she returned crying, she would not tell me what he said until we got into the car. She said, my Dad asked if she had prayed for him, because he could hear her voice and many other women praying for him, he knew he would be ok cause of the peace he felt.

I know its not proof of God, or same may say its was just the drugs and the brain making inferences, but I have seen to many answers to prayer (especially when my wife prays) that add to my faith.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
God is not an all powerfull being. I you read all ancient text not only the bible and the quran ect but all even the ancient text well before that you willl know that god is a group of beings from the skies and are nothing more then Alien/EBE/ETE/ET's or what ever you want to call them.
the book of genesis is speaking of turning a gas planet in to a sun , terraforming a plannet to the specific needs of a being (earth and humans) being made in its image ( with is strangly fague because had to have a skin like negeriod , asian, white , ect in the same otherwise we could not be as him and he not as us) he made us in his image by genetic modification and genetic altering. it goes about cloning , gen therapy ect. even so the whole ancient text also those in the pyramids are speaking uf flying space crafts. God is not what christian and other religions want us to know. and people who want to find god.. Just build a spacecraft and go and find him there because there you suposted god is.

Religions are only using a supreme being for terrifyng people to follow them so they have power over us.

If god excist he wanted WO1 and Wo2 he wanted the extermination of jews by the SS and he wanted etnic clansing in kosovo , iran , iraq and all over the world. because he didn't stop it and as people all ways said gods will goes on. everything we do is because god tells us silently like we are puppets, we are no more like slaves.,

If we see what god is what he does , then I can not say nothing more then that he is a warcrimanal, he is master over slaves and he is massmurderer , God it self under Uniterd Nations is forbidden , and must be placed under arrest and be trailed at the war criminal tribunal in the hague (the Netherlands) for acts against humanity. that is if he / she or it excist.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Man-made or not god is a good thing, people need faith in something, remember the statement, "You won't find an atheists in a fox-hole"

I personally am not a strong believer because in modern day Christianity you can't have an open mind. There's God, Jesus, and The Bible. No Questions and God forbid no Science.

But at the same time, I don't understand how matter, time, and consciousness just popped one day.

And IMO this is a good thread, I personally enjoy hearing other people's ideas and whatnot.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by Mman19]

[edit on 1-8-2007 by Mman19]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dixi2344

"give a man a fish, feed him for a day. teach him how to fish, feed him for life."
-Jesus Christ

Sorry, but that wasn't Jesus. It was Lao Tzu.

To answer the OP, i'll simply repost what i said in the 'How can you honestly believe God doesn't exist' topic:

I believe that religion in the present day, and in the past few centuries is far more geared towards maintaining power and controlling the populace rather than spreading any sort of faith.

I was brought up in a Catholic household, with Seven Day Adventist and Methodist relatives, so i had a fair whack of Christianity thrown at me. Up to adolescence i believed, you could say, but when i started to gain a bit of independence i realized that i had no faith whatsoever in their God. Why should I?

My only beliefs that go anywhere near religion is that possibly, tens of thousands of years ago, our planet was visited by another race that gave humanoids evolution a little shove. Whether they are still here now, i am not to say. I do believe, however, that they are responsible for some of the great races, such as Maya, Egyptians etc.

That clash too much with your religious beliefs? Tough. I can't really stop you or anyone else from being brainwashed to follow a deity that doesn't exist, but i can certainly save myself.

My stance on life is that i can lead a good, moral life without doing it for a God. There is no such thing as living a 'Christian' lifestyle, it is simply being a good person.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I personnaly dont care one way or another if you, him, she, or he believes one way or another.

But if their is a heaven and hell, I've got a hell of a better chance than the non believers of not bieng in eternal suffering for all eternity.

Its kinda like vegas only with way better odds 50/50!

Ill bet on on paradise over eternal damnnation every time.

By the way, what are you non believers trying to prove anyway?? I dont waste hous of my day with my belief, so why does this "does god exist or not" matter so much to you?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin

Someone has probably mentioned it, but if there is a God, he must have been created as well. Not even an allegedly almighty, omnipotent, omniscient being like God could create itself. If you go back far enough, there would have been nothing. Something had to be created from nothing, as paradoxical as it sounds. It's hard to even imagine that our universe, and all other universes if others exist, came after an infinite period of absolute nothingness.

.... and if the Concept of Beginnings and Endings is a Human invention due to our limited understand of the Universe based on our very few senses? I think everyone has wondered things like:
If the Universe is finite, what is outside its boundaries?
Where did matter come from?
Where did energy originate?

Forget about the origins of Man. Where did the contents of the Universe come from? These things are way beyond our current abilities to understand and we don't have the correct Senses to even perceive most of the Universes contents.

When science says it knows something, that is not saying much. We know very little in fact. We don't even know for sure what is on the Planets in our own Solar System let alone the Universe. Any person who says they know for a fact there is no God is saying they know everything about the Universe. How could anyone honestly say that?

[edit on 8/1/2007 by Blaine91555]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
My belief in God was only strengthened after watching a documentary on the Universe on the History Channel last night... It showed how small we humans actually think when we come to the conclusion that God doesn't exist. The Universe is so huge our minds cant even begin to fathom its actual size. There's bound to be a God that created its wonders.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by redseal
I personnaly dont care one way or another if you, him, she, or he believes one way or another.

But if their is a heaven and hell, I've got a hell of a better chance than the non believers of not being in eternal suffering for all eternity.

Its kinda like vegas only with way better odds 50/50!

Ill bet on on paradise over eternal damnation every time.

By the way, what are you non believers trying to prove anyway?? I dont waste hous of my day with my belief, so why does this "does god exist or not" matter so much to you?

So you believe in God for fear of burning for eternity. First of all, HELL is just a scare tactic.
GOD- "If you don't believe in me and do not do what I say, you will burn in a pit of fire over and over again for all eternity...btw, did I mention I love you"

I definitely do NOT believe in a god like that. I do personally believe in a higher power, whether that be one being or many I do not know. I find it easier to believe in a higher power because so many questions cannot be answered.

LOOK, most religions are ways to control the people, take away their freedoms and their money. Step out of the box and turn off the tunnel vision. Start thinking for yourself.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
God IS...You are god, every animal is god, every thought, every emotion every joy and all suffering. God is all that is and you are and forever will be a part of all that is. There is no beginning and will never be an end, it just is! Every day and every life you live and every thing you are becomes a part of the total energy of God. If you kill, you hurt God, and god is you. If you love, you love God, also you. I believe this with all my soul!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is a dumb threat

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
quite simply...with the world in it's current condition, people NEED to believe in something ...something good and universal.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
A belief in a force that can't be explained by current scientific methods
vs
A scientific statement (theory/hypothesis) that is valid for now until proven wrong otherwise....

but prob im dead wrong here no?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
quite simply...with the world in it's current condition, people NEED to believe in something ...something good and universal.

With the world in its current condition, people need to believe in themselves and what is good for all. Quit believing in my god verses your god. People need to do as they would have done to themselves. It does no one any good to cower in a corner and simply believe in some higher power who will save them from the conditions in which they live! We need action based on good reason and not BLIND FAITH!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker420
Seriously, you ALL need to watch Zeitgeist, either on google video or do like i did and download the high quality version off of bittorrent, trust me it will change the way you think about religion and everything you have been led to believe your whole life.

Thank you! I took the time to watch that this afternoon. Amazing! It matched my thoughts only very succinctly. Thanks for the suggestion!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I'll go in the other room here an blow out my brains, k? I'll find out what happens, and if you don't get my message on the Oiuji Board by next week, I'll have debunked ghosts too, k?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join