It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOD VS Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
video

www.tv-links.co.uk... forth from the bottom if the top doesnt work

this is a intresting video done by horizon about science and how the US and religous groups in the country are undermining it,

[edit on 31-7-2007 by bodrul]

[edit on 31-7-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This topic is pretty much the same as:

A belief in a force that can't be explained by current scientific methods
vs
A scientific statement (theory/hypothesis) that is valid for now until proven wrong otherwise....

but prob im dead wrong here no?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by a1ex
This topic is pretty much the same as:

A belief in a force that can't be explained by current scientific methods
vs
A scientific statement (theory/hypothesis) that is valid for now until proven wrong otherwise....

but prob im dead wrong here no?

You are correct that they are both matters of belief. Yet, the defining characteristic that differentiates science from religion isn't that one is 100% true and one is less than 100% true. No, science is a religion that evolves its dogma as new evidence about the nature of creation is revealed. That single feature is what elevates one system of thinking to the status of being potentially of value to our species and lowers the other to the status of being mostly detrimental.

If I said, "[Einstein/Moses] was wrong and there is no such thing as [time/burning bush]."

A scientists response would be, "Cool, attempt to prove it."

And a priest would stone me.

Jon

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
why is 'God' in all caps in the title?

why does it have a capital in it at all. Is god his name, his title, or his symbolic idea?

thats part of why im an atheist, calling your god "God" just reeks of lazy prophets.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Because how about if I started writing all your name in no capitals at all.
Plus as long as us Christians are the majority, we will rule the world!

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I have a degree in Chemistry and I believe in God. I am not alone, as many people with scientific training believed in God including Albert Einstein. Part of my belief is based on the idea that science is limited in what it can explain. Science can describe phenomena eloquently by making deductions from a series of postulates, yet it cannot explain why its postulates are true. For example, physicists can describe all electromagnetic behavior from 4 equations (the Maxwell equations), yet it cannot explain where those equations come from.

Furthermore, theories like the big bang do not explain the cause of the origin of the cosmos, but rather just describe what happened in the begining. If you believe that every action is initiated by some other action, than the beginning of the universe had to be initiated by some entity, and that entity is the "unmoved mover" that Plato spoke of.

Believing in a higher power or "unmoved mover" does not necesarily prove or disprove the tenets of any organized religion. Nor does a belief in God discount any well founded scientific theory including evolution The fact of the matter is religion and science can and should coexist and not conflict with eachother because they seek answers to different quesitons. Anybody who believes they conflict either does not understand the proper scope of religious inquiry or does not understand the proper scope of scientific inquiry.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Anyone else getting really sick of all the God is/God isn't real discussions?

Lets talk about the guys that are trying to get all of us, despite what we believe.

NWO, Bad aliens, the Gov. Chupacabra...Whatever, all of these things will get you whether you believe in religion, science, both, or neither. So how about some unity folks?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
I have a degree in Chemistry and I believe in God. I am not alone, as many people with scientific training believed in God including Albert Einstein.

Einstein did not believe in god. He used the word god as a metaphor.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Because how about if I started writing all your name in no capitals at all.
Plus as long as us Christians are the majority, we will rule the world!

you aren't actually a majority of the residents of this planet. christians make up just under 1/3 of the population of the earth... that means 2/3 aren't christians. you're outnumbered... and then there is the fastest growing group in the world, the non-religious.

Originally posted by DarkSide

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
I have a degree in Chemistry and I believe in God. I am not alone, as many people with scientific training believed in God including Albert Einstein.

Einstein did not believe in god. He used the word god as a metaphor.

seconded. stop trying to turn einstein into something he was not.

top topics

join