It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AWOL Korey Rowe Heading back to Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Yes it's true. Loose Change Producer Korey Rowe was forced to complete his service.

He is scheduled to go back to Iraq. Although I disagree with his movies, I hope for a quick and safe return!

www.thedailystar.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
i bet you are all broken up about this... Arent you???

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Let's take a vote. Who here thinks he will come back alive? I'll just say, I have my doubts.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
He's got himself into a situation worthy of Kafka or Orwell.

I guess it's not surprising he was pulled back into service, seeing as they need any warm body they can get to go over there, but the repercussions aren't something I'd want to deal with if he's killed, but then again I'm sure the army's ostensible thinking is, well it's all crackpot and he's going to be treated like anyone else: a microchip and a gun. No guarantees, it's a war.

Whether that will be the case in practice I really doubt.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainObvious
...forced to complete his service..

He already served one tour... how many have you served?

He was brought back under the "stop loss" policy... This kind of thing did not even happen in Viet Nam.

Go to your local VFW and ask the vets how many were FORCED to serve more than ONE TOUR in Viet Nam...

Sending a guy back to Iraq who has already done one tour, just before his commitment is up, is pathetic.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Where as I don't want anyone over there, this guy is doing what he signed up to do. Seems in the article his family admits he went to straighten it out, and they stated he was going back to Iraq. He went AWOL. He is part of an Airborne unit so he signed up to play the part, not work in an office.

If he would have stuck it out, he would be out and it would be over. Sucks for him but no one should get special treatment. If I was him, I would be worried about the people i was shipping out with after I had gone AWOL and bad mouthed the government while they were still in.

Ever hear the old saying "don't # where you eat?", well he made himself a buffet and now he has to eat it.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pootie
He already served one tour... how many have you served?
He was brought back under the "stop loss" policy... This kind of thing did not even happen in Viet Nam.

No, he was brought back for going AWOL.

Sending a guy back to Iraq who has already done one tour, just before his commitment is up, is pathetic.

I agree 100%!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
He wont make it back.. they are gonna tillman him. Perfect way to get rid of someone.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
During Vietnam we had a draft, In Iraq these guy/gals have volunteered.

Many served more than 1 tour in Vietnam and many have served more than 1 tour in Iraq. When you sign a contract for the Services it doesnt specify a limit of 1 combat tour. He went AWOL he could have incarcerated for the remainder of his service commitment, instead it appears they will let him serve his 2nd tour instead of incarceration.
So once again it is his choice he could refuse and ask for a trail by Courts Martial.

Initial commitment in the services is 8 years you might serve 2-6 years active even after 6 years you can still be recalled to serve the final 2 years of the 8 year commitment.

He signed up for the service in August of 2001 his commitment is up in August of 2009.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Just proves once again the folks at Louder Than Words are a pack of liars. Karma Karma Karma !!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
i was hope'n this wouldnt happen to him... dang,i honestly dont think he'll make it back... sad stuff man.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
He has a greater chance of dying from an IED than Dick Cheney signing his death warrant. C'mon people, he made a B movie, why should that exclude him from finishing his job. You see, he joined in Aug 2001, just before 9/11. He chose to go to Airborne school and HE chose the path that he would take.

If you forget to go to court, they just don't day OK, forget about it. They find you and put you in jail. This was a poor decision on his part and he will have to accept the consequences of his actions.

Hope he makes it back home in one piece.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
So once again it is his choice he could refuse and ask for a trail by Courts Martial.

Deserters are not normally court martialed. Dishonorable discharge.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Actually the maximum penalty for desertion is death during wartime.
So if he wants to roll the dice he could ask for a Courts Martial.
I think they gave him a choice deploy and honor your contract or ask for a Courts Martial.

Article 85 Desertion

Maximum punishment.

(1) Completed or attempted desertion with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 5 years.

(2) Other cases of completed or attempted desertion.

(a) Terminated by apprehension. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 3 years.

(b) Terminated otherwise. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 2 years.

(3) In time of war. Death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

[edit on 8/1/2007 by DarkStormCrow]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Actually the maximum penalty for desertion is death during wartime.

Reread my post.

Ask the top ranking military man you know.

Deserters are not usually court martialed.

Please argue my actual post instead of quoting what COULD BE the penalties.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Good article, and it is true that most are not court-martialed because they 'return'. Most are given a dishonorable and sent on their way but it would seem that this guy did not do that, he never settled up.

The other is many of these guys choose Airborne or other combat units. WTF do you think you are getting yourself into? I remember how they tried to get me to be a forward observer in the Army when my ASVAB scores were through the roof. I wanted intel or security. Sure, going spec ops would have been beneficial for some great stories and comraderie but that is about it.

He should have joined to be a cook or maybe a bed nurse.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
Most are given a dishonorable and sent on their way ...

so, why is this case any different? Why not just give him a dishonorable and let him walk? He went back to the base.

I do not see what point you are trying to make here.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

so, why is this case any different? Why not just give him a dishonorable and let him walk? He went back to the base.

I do not see what point you are trying to make here.

Exactly. I'm a stones throw from a sizable Army base, and I've got two neighbors who went AWOL just before their unit deployed again. They haven't run, haven't needed to. Hell, they still shop at the PX.

There's a pattern emerging here.
"I don't want to to go to war because I'm afraid" gets you ignored.
"I don't want to go to war because this one's illegal" gets you a heap of trouble.

I don't think he'll make it back either, and I doubt there will be anything legitimate about his demise.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
US medic in Germany guilty of desertion

U.S. Army prosecutions of desertion rise sharply

Reread my post.

Ask the top ranking military man you know.

Deserters are not usually court martialed.

Please argue my actual post instead of quoting what COULD BE the penalties.

I reread your post

I dont need to ask a military man I am retired from the military. Punishments for AWOL and Desertion are pounded into you head during Basic Training.

Deserters are not usually Court Martialed during "peacetime" however it has become more common the last few years to actually charge the deserters under Article 85 which results in a Courts Martial. (reference articles above)

Previously what would happen if the soldiers turned themselves in they would get adminstrative punishment under Article 15 and then dishonorably discharged.

I doubt they have charged Korey Rowe with Article 85 Desertion because he has agreed to deploy. He will probably be given an Article 15 with some admistrative punishment then deploy and serve out his time, avoiding the actual desertion charge and negative things that come with it.
Dishonorable Discharge, Confinement, Loss of Benefits and a Federal Felony record.

[edit on 8/2/2007 by DarkStormCrow]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541

Exactly. I'm a stones throw from a sizable Army base, and I've got two neighbors who went AWOL just before their unit deployed again. They haven't run, haven't needed to. Hell, they still shop at the PX.

There's a pattern emerging here.
"I don't want to to go to war because I'm afraid" gets you ignored.
"I don't want to go to war because this one's illegal" gets you a heap of trouble.

The Military doesnt normally go out searching for AWOL Service members
as most return of thier own accord. However the Military will issue a Federal Warrant which means if you pulled over for speeding or some such and they run you name through the computer you get taken to jail until the Military authorities come to pick you up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join