It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New combat vehicle that may replace the Humvee.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

www.protectedvehicles.com...

Protected Vehicles, Inc. Unveils New Light-Weight Solution to HMMWV
North Charleston, SC- Protected Vehicles, Inc. is pleased to announce development of its newest wheeled combat vehicle The Protector. Designed to improve upon the shortcomings encountered by the current HMMWV in operational theatre during missions and patrols in Iraq and Afghanistan, The Protector offers advanced armor solutions to threats from both improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and the more recent and devastating explosively formed penetrators (EFP) utilized by the enemy. With a curb weight of only 14,000 pounds, The Protector offers improved safety from ballistics, IEDs and EFPs in a lighter package than the HMMWV. In addition to standard armor, The Protector is designed to accept the up-armor ShieldAll™, available exclusively from Protected Vehicles, Inc. This revolutionary next-generation composite armor material is not only a lighter, more capable and cost-effective armor solution to steel, but has also been repeatedly tested at U.S. Government facilities as a proven defense against deadly EFPs. As the threats on a new asymmetric battlefront continue to evolve, The Protector has arrived to mitigate risks, protect the war-fighters and accomplish the mission.

Standard Specifications:

7.62x54 AP Protection
Seating for 2+4
2 Side Doors+1 Rear Door
Cruise Speed of 70 mph
Excess Payload of 7,500 lbs
C-130 Transportable
Optional Specifications:

IED and EFP Protection with ShieldAllTM
Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Protection
The Protector is PVI’s third vehicle, preceded by the GOLAN and the ALPHA. The company is currently providing both GOLANs and ALPHAs for the military.

As you know that the Cougar, Buffalo, and other vehicles designed against IEDs are not meant to replace the Humvees since they are too heavy weighting 20 tons or more. This vehicle is meant to be on the level of light tactical vehicle of the Humvee but providing far superior protection.

Also included was that it may be in competition of the Cheetah vehicle which is built by Force Protection that builds the Cougar and Buffalo vehicles.

www.forceprotection.net...

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Interesting. It does seem to be almost an apc.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
yeah cool.... judst one question...

Does it have roadside bomb protection and RPG protection????

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It looks damn tough lol. No doubt its been designed on the basis of IEDs, RPGs, mines and other various explosive charges. If that's the case then doesn't anyone else think that once conflicts like the Iraq war are over this vehicle will be obsolete? It seems designed for occupation duties, which means that either this will be a waist of money when the forces leave Iraq or perhaps the USA is planning another long term invasion.

This is the New British Vehicle that will replace to old Land Rovers...

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
yeah cool.... judst one question...

Does it have roadside bomb protection and RPG protection????

Did you even read the article?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chupa101
It looks damn tough lol. No doubt its been designed on the basis of IEDs, RPGs, mines and other various explosive charges. If that's the case then doesn't anyone else think that once conflicts like the Iraq war are over this vehicle will be obsolete? It seems designed for occupation duties, which means that either this will be a waist of money when the forces leave Iraq or perhaps the USA is planning another long term invasion.

I guess Abrams and Bradley vehicles are going to be obsolete when the U.S. pulls out of Iraq eh? Since they are being used for "occupational duties" as you say.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Hmmm i doubt that it will provide a good protection against ied's and rpg but will ofcourse be allot better than the humvee's.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'd like to see if that heavy beast can go through deep mud or rough terrain like the humvee.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The humvee wasn't really designed per se as a combat vehicle, unless you call the jeep a combat vehicle too. Sure you can put weapons on it but it was meant as a tough transportation vehicle, not a armoured personnel carrier. Big difference in those two types of machines.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by pavil]

[edit on 1-8-2007 by pavil]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
They are in use currently in Iraq by the EOD units here, at least in Diyala where I am. By the way, yes they are very surviveable against IEDs. One truck alone, survived five explosions from IEDs while going through Wajihiya. The truck kept driving, no major vehicle damage (a wheel needed replaced), no casualties.

RPGs by the way, are useless, against those trucks. The AIF, anti Iraqi forces/insurgents, don't even waste the weapons on them. In fact IED are not even placed by the roads until after these guys have gone down the routes, and the Brads and up armored Humvees roll through. They know not to waste the bombs on them as well.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Glad to hear that Advisor, stay safe. So the armored Humvee's are doing the job as well? Keep us "advised" on how things are going over there for you and team. Hopefully it will start getting cooler for you, the heat must be nasty.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Good to hear they finally have something effective against IEDs and RPGs! Time to mass produce 'em and get 'em to the troops en mass.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
Hopefully it will start getting cooler for you, the heat must be nasty.

Not any time soon, it is the hottest part of the year here. With recent high temps up at 132 degrees, it is out right too f'n hot!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Good to hear they finally have something effective against IEDs and RPGs! Time to mass produce 'em and get 'em to the troops en mass.

Shattered OUT...

Effective protected multipurpose vehicles have been around for several years now. Its just that the US Army has not expressed general interest into any of them yet (only as niche solutions).

For example the South Africans and the French have great experience in this technological field. Or take the german ATK Dingo vehicles, brought into service in 2001. Among other incidents they have so far endured an Antitank mine and an VBIED attack - the crew survived virtually without a scratch. Plus it is built on one of the most trusted truck platforms worldwide, the Unimog.

I don´t know, every seond month there seems to be a random (american) company that sheds out another uparmored commercial truck, and claims it to be the next best thing since sliced bread. But many of them, like the example in this thread, seem to be quite unfinished from an ergonomic point of view.

[edit on 2/8/2007 by Lonestar24]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
That;s a bad lookin mamajamma...I want one....

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
With recent high temps up at 132 degrees, it is out right too f'n hot!

Wow. It's in the low 90's here and I hate it, just can't imagine that heat. I'm U2U'ing something.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Its seems to be trying to look rediculously intimidating.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Originally posted by Chupa101

I guess Abrams and Bradley vehicles are going to be obsolete when the U.S. pulls out of Iraq eh? Since they are being used for "occupational duties" as you say.

Well the way that technology is going I wouldn't be surprised. The tank is a 20th Century war machine. The only point in keeping them is for combat where you intend to hold physical ground, even then they are more of a symbol of power. With modern warfare being missile and aircraft based the only thing left for these behemoths is to sit around occupying territory.

Edit: Just thought I'd add I think tanks and armoured vehicles are ace.

[edit on 2/8/07 by Chupa101]

new topics

top topics

join