It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealth The next Generation?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Buried in a blurb about about the projected 32 billion dollar Pentagon black budget was this line about one of the projects:

A new generation of stealth—that will be invulnerable to low- as well as high-frequency radar—is being developed.
www.aviationweek.com... k&headline=Inside+information+from+the+U.S.+capital

If your couple this with portable microwave weapons that could disable defences, you have a very potent strike package. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Buried in a blurb about about the projected 32 billion dollar Pentagon black budget was this line about one of the projects:

A new generation of stealth—that will be invulnerable to low- as well as high-frequency radar—is being developed.
www.aviationweek.com... k&headline=Inside+information+from+the+U.S.+capital

But will it be invulnerable to the laws of physics? I think not.
Regards

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
whats the point of the above post? if you have a point expand on it!
It will not be invulnerable to the laws of physics. but it could warp things much like the F-117 did. Honestly big change shoudl be on the way and honestly I'm waiting for the Aircraft Carrier to go the way of the battleship did with the advent of the torpedo plane.
In the relm of A2G SAMs I think things are being pushed forward on both sides and we wont see the outcome until the 2 a pitted in actual warfare.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I know of a couple of different approaches that are being funded, there's been a big pile of bucks diverted to SkunkWorks and Phantom Works for this in the last five years.

There's many a new pony in the metamaterials barn.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
whats the point of the above post? if you have a point expand on it!

To expand...

The US cannot escape physics and all that. An aircraft in the sky is a physical entity, displacing air and creating friction. It can never be invulnerable to detection. I am not a radar expert, but implying invulnerability to radar "low" and "high" frequency" is not possible, is it not.

Hype?

Regards

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
I am not a radar expert, but implying invulnerability to radar "low" and "high" frequency" is not possible, is it not.
Hype?

Perhaps "invulnerability" is a bit much to claim for any "stealth" platform

However all-aspect/multifrequency low-observability technologies are already at TRL 7, possibly further along in black programs.

Specifics of methodologies are not forthcoming from any of the involved corporations but suffice it to say that other countries are also in R&D on this as well.

[edit on 8-2-2007 by intelgurl]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
its logical that they already started working on the next gen of stealth for the successor of the F22. With these ever increasing development times for the USAF they better start now already.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I think it would suffice to say they started working on the successor to currently known stealth technology before the first ones rolled off the assembly.

As far as pure stealth, it would be awfully hard ... but ... I don't doubt that it will be invisible (cloak stealth), invisible to a wide range of radar (better angles by computer programs, better absorbing paints/alloys), and it will disguise as much sound and heat as it possible can (gravitational and magnetic propulsions?)

Dream of what could be possible, they probably already have that and the next thing. They are the only ones that know.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
LF radar works by tracking what isn`t there - the moving hole in the return - so it will be very impressive to see how they can get round that little issue

but - i want to see lidar being developed - would blow out all this and the next generation stealth somewhat ( hey im nearly radar invisible - great we use light so hello target)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
As far as pure stealth, it would be awfully hard ... but ... I don't doubt that it will be invisible (cloak stealth), invisible to a wide range of radar (better angles by computer programs, better absorbing paints/alloys), and it will disguise as much sound and heat as it possible can (gravitational and magnetic propulsions?)

You're forgetting that stealth has moved from passive to active. It's not just about shaping and materials - it's also about actively "spoofing" radars and IR receivers. You don't allow them to see a black hole in the sky moving at 600 mph - you broadcast back what you want the radar operator to see, static, ghosts, or whatever.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by crusader97
You're forgetting that stealth has moved from passive to active. It's not just about shaping and materials - it's also about actively "spoofing" radars and IR receivers. You don't allow them to see a black hole in the sky moving at 600 mph - you broadcast back what you want the radar operator to see, static, ghosts, or whatever.

Just as a matter of interest, can you give some examples where "active" stealth is used to "spoof" radars and IR recievers.

Cheers

[edit on 4/8/2007 by paraphi]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder how they are hiding an aircraft against a radar wave of the order of the aircrafts' size...

Anyone any ideas? radar cancellation for longer wavelengths?

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Just as a matter of interest, can you give some examples where "active" stealth is used to "spoof" radars and IR recievers.

Cheers

I'm not 100 percent sure on specifics as specifics on this form of technology will be at the highest level of Secret Clearances and not a single person on ATS will have an inkling of a clue or at least will never share a clue as to specifics on this form of technology, but I believe that one of the reasons units such as the F-22 and B-2 cost so much is not only to politics and limited unit production, but also because they use far advanced stealth technologies. I think it's safe to say both aircraft use active stealth along with passive to better evade RADAR detection.

Once again like almost everyone else in the world, I do not the specifics on these technologies. Maybe someone who has a higher clearance can explain or who understands what devices or physical mechanisms could possibly be present to work active stealth.

I'm not to sure, but I think that the B-2 uses electro-magnetism for active stealth in some form, not sure how.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
I'm not 100 percent sure on specifics as specifics on this form of technology will be at the highest level of Secret Clearances and not a single person on ATS will have an inkling of a clue or at least will never share a clue as to specifics on this form of technology,

I think there were reports that the Dassault Rafale uses active cancellation as a means of avoiding detection.

Although I also think there was some confusion and doubt over the reports.

Mod Edit: trimmed large quote

[edit on 8/5/07 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Popular Science reported that the pod housed above the tail was intended to spoof radars. It supposedly would send out the radar signals back to the reciever "out of phase" much like noise cancelation headphones work.

I have never heard mention of it since then so either it works well and they have stopped talking about it or it does not work and they have stopped talking about it.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Popular Science reported that the pod housed above the tail was intended to spoof radars. It supposedly would send out the radar signals back to the reciever "out of phase" much like noise cancelation headphones work.

I have never heard mention of it since then so either it works well and they have stopped talking about it or it does not work and they have stopped talking about it.

Yeah - I guessed they realised that it would work ok for 1 opposing radar set... but whenever an opposing wingman was introduced into the equation, you were effectively lighting yourself up for him/her or anyone else in the sky on passive mode.

[unless they figured out some very smart ways of sending the emissions down an extremely small azimuthal angle]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by crusader97

Cheers

Take this and scale up the funding and development about a million fold over the course of 20 years.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Just a stupid noob question

couldn't you make a radar or similar thing that detects heat or contrails.. it might be toughter than the normal radar but why wouldn't this be possible ?

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You mean IR sensors? I'm not sure about contrails though considering that contrails are a mere atmospheric phenomena caused by the mixing of water vapor and jet exhaust fumes.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Next generation stealth is "plasma stealth" - it is here now- ask the Russians..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join