It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do YOU feel about people burning a 'holy book'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by morganathefey

seriously though book burning freaks imho are just plebians. though out history religous nutters do this to get rid of opposing beliefs, great libery of alaxandria springs to mind, waste of knowledge.

Just another reason for burning the Koran! After all it was the Muslims that burned down the library at Alexandria.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Just another reason for burning the Koran! After all it was the Muslims that burned down the library at Alexandria.

as if the christians wouldn't have? honestly, i think both sides have about the same average of books burned if you take the number of years and divide by number of years.

honestly, take your bigotry back to one of your own threads.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Firstly there's no actual proof that Muslims destroyed it, and indeed there are many
different theories on when and by whom it was destroyed.

Secondly the Muslims of the time would not have done so since they were making great
advancements in Science and Mathematics at the time and viewed information
like that as precious and something to be protected.

Muslims of today and Muslims of antiquity have become very different, so much so
that it's like comparing liberal protestants and conservative catholics.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It's just paper. No book is holy. I do agree that destroying knowledge is a bad thing, but one copy of each book hardly qualifies.

My friend in high school got a book store from his parents as his graduation present -- used books. Supposed to keep him working and paying his own bills.

20 year old, owning his own bookstore. As you can imagine, while we had a blast hanging out there, it didn't do so well financially, and the time came that he had to shut it down.

He had nowhere to store all the books, couldn't sell them even at 10 cents apiece, so he loaded up his truck and some of his friends (me included), and we drove to Imperial Beach to have a Fahrenheit 451 party.

It felt kind of bad burning those books, but it wasn't done in protest or censorship. Just because there was nowhere to take them, and we wanted a beach bonfire.

There are more books. Burning one or two doesn't bother me in the least. We burned a truck full that night in the early 80's.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Why would you feel the need to? What does it prove to you, or to anyone else for that matter?

That you have no respect for their views? That you are deliberately trying to inflame people? Symbols are important to people, why antagonize with such deliberate malice? IMHO, that's what burning any symbol is attempting to do. Antagonize with malice aforethought, or maybe I'm wrong.

So you don't share their belief, or mine for that matter, in God? So what, whatever floats your boat, friend. But to deliberately antagonize people by doing something like that is wrong.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Would you burn a history book?
Would you burn a science book?
Would you burn a novel?

not legitimate history books, not legitimate science books, and not novels....
mainly because they tend to not be followed as if they are the word of a deity.

Really? Seems to me that most of you flout scientific THEORIES around as if it were ultimate truth.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join