It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do YOU feel about people burning a 'holy book'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
I don't like the idea of burning the Bible or the flag. But did you notice the Koran caught fire faster then the Bible did?

Quran paper looks lighter then that of the bible
also the bible is more dense .

on topic. what do i feel about people burning and doing this to the quran
i dispise them but thats as far as my feelings go, i wouldnt call for their deaths and so on.

also on a note

if a quran or anything is damaged (religous meterial) and cant be repaired
we are suppose to burn it or bury it

something my religous teacher told me a while ago

[edit on 31-7-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
As long as you are'nt stealing someone else's or are destroying a historical artifact,
like one of the first versions of it, than I really don't have a problem with it,
nor would I really care if someone burned a Bible, Qur'an, Principia Discordia,
Torah or the Kojiki.

Apart from the fact that I don't believe in any of them, or any for that matter,
but it's really quite idiotic to get upset about someone burning one.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
My opinion? Burn it, it's the most published book ever. One copy don't make a difference.

As for a flag, I don't care really, nothing much great about this country any more.

However, I would mind if you burnt The Lord of the Rings, it's such a great read.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by apex]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Apex I'm not sure what to think of your comments on LOTR. There just books if you think so low of the Bible and the flag I feel sorry for you.

What version of the Bible did you burn? Was it the 1611 KJV? If not then burn away because all the Bibles have been twisted around. NIV, NKJV, etc. is all wrong.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   

What version of the Bible did you burn? Was it the 1611 KJV? If not then burn away because all the Bibles have been twisted around. NIV, NKJV, etc. is all wrong.

i burned the cheapest version they had....i didn't even pay attention...

i got the cheapest of each they had and they had a LOT of different bibles/korans there.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Bibles are good for making roll up cigarettes when you run out of papers.

As for burning the book - hell I don't care, its a book, easy enough to make another (although I wish they wouldn't).
Why anyone else should care or be offended is beyond me, its not like its their book or flag or whatever - just the usual idiots thinking that they have some right over what someone else does.

What if I burned large effigies of christ on a cross while launching korans at its head, keeping it going with wooden buddha's etc? Would they then think they have the right to stop me?? If so why?

G

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Apex I'm not sure what to think of your comments on LOTR. There just books if you think so low of the Bible and the flag I feel sorry for you.
[

Well, i meant it as a joke. but quite frankly the bible is just a book as well. And since we don't know what is the truth we can't say it's worth not burning.

And am i meant to like the rubbish that the flag represents? if I felt this country was great i would mind, but under current leadership it isn't.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ1969

Now i am incapable of feeling anything except anger most the time.

Me too, Russ. People say that there is "no such thing as an unemotional individual." I tend to disagree. I come pretty damn close and when I do feel an emotion, it tends to be one of anger or extreme rage. I'm not proud of it, but it's something I have to accept.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
out of curiosity, how do you feel about someone burning a bible or a koran?

If it belongs to them, I don't care.

would your opinion about me change if you found out that i commited such an act?

Nope.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Depends on the circumstance if your buring it to be a dick then I say To hell with you

If your burning it just because your cold and need some paper to start your fire,I woudn't see a problem with it.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Burning a book doesn't bother me, it's your intent or agenda that I may be offended by rather. If you burn a Bible or the Koran just out of spite then...

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
As long as its not my flag or my book.

you can do whatever floats your boat.

i second this sentiment.
as long as it isn't someone else's property.... and you're not harming someone by burning the book (as in, you burn your copy of the bible while someone is reading it) it's ok.

i don't think it should be done out of hatred... but do it if you want.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Its not important....in that you should not go to jail or be held on any specific crime for burning a book that someone deems to be religious. We could get ourselves into so many issues with religion, all religions, its already causing enough pain in this world.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
why burn it? why not make it usefull......tie string though the spine and use it for lav paper, beats the dailymail every time

seriously though book burning freaks imho are just plebians. though out history religous nutters do this to get rid of opposing beliefs, great libery of alaxandria springs to mind, waste of knowledge.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by morganathefey
seriously though book burning freaks imho are just plebians. though out history religous nutters do this to get rid of opposing beliefs, great libery of alaxandria springs to mind, waste of knowledge.

There are two very big differences there though.

1. Those who burn holy books are doing so in a form of protest of expression,
while religions did it to destroy knowledge they did'nt want people to have let alone
continue to exist.

2. The burning of the Alexandrian library destroyed countless rare and one-of-a-kind books,
while those who burn holy books only do it to normal versions of books that exist
millions of times over elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I find the burning of any kind of book(s) to be a horrible and despicable act, whoever the book belongs to. It's information. I mean, you could've used the money to buy a textbook for some kid. You could've gifted it to someone who would've appreciated it. Ahhhh....but people don't care. They care more about making a show and generating controversy than helping people out.

Would you burn a history book?
Would you burn a science book?
Would you burn a novel?
Would you burn the scripture of any religion?

Even if they all belonged to me, the answer would be a resounding NO. Yes, my opinion of a person would change, if they spent time/money/effort in the wilful destruction of information. Does it matter to me if there are a zillion copies of the same thing out there? No, I'd still feel the same. Use your money for something more productive.

Oddly enough, I don't have the same feelings about a flag.

[edit on 3-8-2007 by babloyi]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

Perhaps because books are actually useful and hold information, while the only thing a
flag does is wave around on a pole.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Damn, Boondock, man, you crack me up!! Somehow I feel responsible for this...

Originally posted by Boondock78
i just got back from borders with a koran and a bible.....what do do now???

Originally posted by Sky Eyes
Hmmm... May I suggest a little social experiment? Select a patsy, anyone gullible enough will do, and send them out to a metropolitan area with aforementioned tomes. When they reach a place that contains the most culturally diverse crowd, merely hold them up for all to view, along with a box of matches, make suggestive movements with his props and see who tackles him first, a Christian, a Muslim or a suddenly fervent fire marshal.

Something tells me that it would illicit a bigger response than than the previously discussed masked banner burner.

...well, at least you found your culturally diverse crowd!
I'll be watching to see how it turns out for you!!

[edit on 3-8-2007 by Sky Eyes]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
I find the burning of any kind of book(s) to be a horrible and despicable act, whoever the book belongs to. It's information. I mean, you could've used the money to buy a textbook for some kid. You could've gifted it to someone who would've appreciated it. Ahhhh....but people don't care. They care more about making a show and generating controversy than helping people out.

then tell that to gideon's, not the people burning the bibles... and bibles tend to cost a lot less than the textbook.

Would you burn a novel?

not legitimate history books, not legitimate science books, and not novels....
mainly because they tend to not be followed as if they are the word of a deity.

no, just the ones that contain homphobia, misogyny, and other forms of bigotry.

Even if they all belonged to me, the answer would be a resounding NO. Yes, my opinion of a person would change, if they spent time/money/effort in the wilful destruction of information.

burning a bible/koran/veda/volsungsaga isn't destroying any information. you'd have to burn EVERY SINGLE COPY to destroy the information and then you'd have to eliminate the digital versions.

Does it matter to me if there are a zillion copies of the same thing out there? No, I'd still feel the same. Use your money for something more productive.

once more i must say, tell that to gideon's. they waste millions of dollars to buy bibles for people that either need to get some sleep or need some food (yes, they send bibles to the most impoverished areas of the world... instead of sending them aid that they can use).

well... a flag is just a symbol

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Would you burn a novel?

not legitimate history books, not legitimate science books, and not novels....
mainly because they tend to not be followed as if they are the word of a deity.

no, just the ones that contain homphobia, misogyny, and other forms of bigotry.

Ahhhh....I see. So if you disagree with a certain kind of information, it's okay to burn the book? I applaud your ideals.

This is the problem with the world. With humans. They make incredible stupid mistakes, then to correct those mistakes, they make incredible stupid mistakes in the other direction. We're back to book burning then, is it? Hitler would've been proud. Oh, those horrible Catholics, burning all that information! Sent us back a thousand years, they did. Then a thousand years on, we're back at it! Lets burn those Catholic books! Such nice pleasing brotherly sentiment. You want to get back at that which you think wronged you by wronging it. Humanity was built up on the written word, lets sh** in it's face and
it.

*babloyi is not waiting for the day that we can be free.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join