It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do YOU feel about people burning a 'holy book'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
i am curious here.
there is a thread going on elsewhere with 16 pages of debate on peoples opinions of burning the american flag.

out of curiosity, how do you feel about someone burning a bible or a koran?

would your opinion about me change if you found out that i commited such an act?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
As long as its not my flag or my book.

you can do whatever floats your boat.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Very interesting question. Nice.
I personally am one that has a REAL problem with someone burning my flag. The Bible is the book that I personally call holy. If someone burned a Bible, I wouldn't be pleased, but not as ticked off as watching my flag burn.

Would my opinion of you change - nah. I already don't like you. (I'm kidding!) No, my opinion of you would not change, but I would ask you 'why?'.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
As long as its not my flag or my book.

you can do whatever floats your boat.

thank you for answering....i am just trying to get a concensus here.

of course i am talking about my property...

i'm not even asking for people to agree. even if you don't agree, i just want to know if that sole act is enough to form or change your opinion of someone(not YOU, whoever wants to answer)

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
The Bible is the book that I personally call holy. If someone burned a Bible, I wouldn't be pleased, but not as ticked off as watching my flag burn.

Would my opinion of you change - nah. I already don't like you. (I'm kidding!) No, my opinion of you would not change, but I would ask you 'why?'.

hahahahaha...most people don't like me...even if not kidding, no worries...

thanks for the honesty.....as to the why

i have no better answer other than 'i can' and 'to see if peoples opinion of me would change or will they form an opinion of me from this sole act'...
thats all.

a social experiment of sorts....curiosity.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'd bring the marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers and make s'mores. It's just a book, just paper, and would make a lovely toasty outdoor dessert.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The same way as I feel about people burning the American flag. I think it's despicable.. Good enough answer for ya?
Nah, my opinion of you isn't swayed one way or the other.. I have friends that do things that I view as despicable.. That's on them, not me.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I'd bring the marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers and make s'mores. It's just a book, just paper, and would make a lovely toasty outdoor dessert.

Ahh, but would you say the same if it was a cookbook of how to make the perfect spaghetti and meatballs?...........

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
would your opinion about me change if you found out that i commited such an act?

What would be the point of burning a holy book though? If you are going to do it you'd want a reaction from people who don't like the burning of books. Would you still burn it if no one cared? Probably not. So you'd just being doing something to piss people off, right?

edit...It wouldn't matter to me anyway if someone burned a book or flag. Doesn't really affect me or my beliefs and such...

[edit on 31/7/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
the point would be simply to do it...thats all

so far, everone would think the same....i am suprised by that...in a good way though....

why does there have to be a bigger point than just to do it?

to be fair i would do(did actually) it to get a reaction.....ANY reaction....simply to see what the reaction would be.

curious as to how people would react you know....
ao, i bought a koran and i bought a bible and i burned it....i didn't get a crazy blaze cause i didn't use an accelerant or anything....just did it.

so, here is a video of such a thing.....you already know what it is so if you don't want to see, don't click

it is my personal opinion that i hold zero stock in those books. to me, they are paper and binding....i see vids on youtube of people getting slammed and called names for doing this....i see people getting slammed for talking about it so i wanted to do it and see where it went.
i posted it on a couple forums.....

trying to see how many people think i'm horrible, vs how many think i am horrible but still in the righ tto do as i wish, vs the people that simply think i am horrible and shouldn't be around.

that was on property i own, with books that i paid cash for....no property of anyone's was destroyed.....just a simple action to get a reaction out of people....not TRYING to make people made but i am TRYING to get them to say something.....anything.

*puts on super safe suit*

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Well, Boondock, while I certainly do not approve of such an action.... Since 9/11, my views on religion and its intentions for the world have drastically changed. Do I believe in God? Yes... Do I believe in organized religion? Not at all.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well, Boondock, while I certainly do not approve of such an action.... Since 9/11, my views on religion and its intentions for the world have drastically changed. Do I believe in God? Yes... Do I believe in organized religion? Not at all.

i don't believe in god at all as you can probably guess. i don't have a problem with people worshiping whatever they want...like i said, as long as it don't affect anyone else than what do i care...

organized religion does effect others though and i can't stand it.
scandal after scandal...so many people that believe in 'it' but with their own little twist....basiclaly, i would like to see religion/god, 100% out of government and schools......

i will stand by your right to worship as you wish. i just want you to do it in your home or the house of worship. i am tired of seeing religios people on the side of the road with signs that say he is coming and hell is real. tired of them coming to my house and tired of people in general getting persecuted for what they DON'T believe

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It don't know why people are so obsessed about material things. Of course know body would want there own bible or flag burned but why do they care when other people burn flags or even a bible. If someone thinks that the flag or bible is so sacred than good for them, but don't expect others to share in your beliefs. Let me point something out to all who despise this act. The flag is just a symbol. And so is every flag made. So what if i make a flag that represents the devil.I bet you wouldn't care if someone burned it. And the bible is not any different. What makes it so special. I don't believe what the bible says, So why would i care if someone wants to burn it. So you ask me what i think? I say burn them all
That will just be 2 less things for people to debate about when there all gone. We have bigger things to worry about.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ1969
It don't know why people are so obsessed about material things. Of course know body would want there own bible or flag burned but why do they care when other people burn flags or even a bible.

Two edged sword there. We have moved away from spirituality and turned into a dark, corrosive, hopeless materialistic society... Even your so-called religious people have devolved into such a mindset.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of burning the Bible or the flag. But did you notice the Koran caught fire faster then the Bible did?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
I don't like the idea of burning the Bible or the flag. But did you notice the Koran caught fire faster then the Bible did?

yeah...it did...no accelerant at all. both paper was the same too. this bible was not the typical thin paper...it was like a regular book type paper, so was the koran..

i had a whole can of gas over there but i didn't want to get into all that...koran did go up first though...

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by russ1969
It don't know why people are so obsessed about material things. Of course know body would want there own bible or flag burned but why do they care when other people burn flags or even a bible.

Two edged sword there. We have moved away from spirituality and turned into a dark, corrosive, hopeless materialistic society... Even your so-called religious people have devolved into such a mindset.

I would have to agree, But its not there fault. Look what we Americans have put up with for to long. I my self used to have feelings and cared about a lot of things. Now i am incapable of feeling anything except anger most the time. And the last thing i need is someone forcing there religious beliefs down my throat. Especially our government. I have given it a chance and all i can see is that it is all a load of bull. Don't get me wrong, If someone is devoted to there beliefs than that is good for them. But it is not good for me. They need to keep it to them selves. If i choose to go to a post and dispute what they are saying, well, thats what the forum is for. I am talking about outside circles. And the flag does not have the same meaning as it did when it was made. I am American and am ashamed of what our government is doing to the people here and the rest of the world. How do you think it feels for all the people in Iraq to see American flags flying high in there country.
We need to back off on foreign affairs and start paying attention to domestic affairs.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

out of curiosity, how do you feel about someone burning a bible or a koran?

About the same as i'd feel about burning any sort of book, i think it's stupid and ignorant and a waste of time.

Yep.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo

Ahh, but would you say the same if it was a cookbook of how to make the perfect spaghetti and meatballs?...........

I know how to do that without resorting to a book.

Bring on the smores!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Don't care. Do whatever the hell you want.

If you want to burn a book, yippee, good for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join